General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old June 7th, 2020, 02:43 PM

Ouch, that hurts, but like others said, it could've been a lot worse and you are alive to tell us about it. This is exactly how I felt when back in the spring of '99, my first full summer w/ my 1-of-50 triple-black '98 WS6 T/A M6 'vert that I had purchased new off the showroom floor the prior fall (my first new car purchase and one I had been dreaming about since '72 when the last convertible GTO Ram-Air ragtop was sold) got hit in the driver's door by some old lady in a crusty Chevy Celebrity...……. in Michigan...……..which has no-fault collision laws. It caused ~$6500 in damage, which my insurance had to pick up. I was lucky I could drive it home safely and that nobody was hurt (my GF at the time was with me). It spent a month in the local dealership shop getting repaired w/ OEM parts, but after making a few minor corrections it was like new.

Hagerty should get you fixed up just fine, get a good shop you trust, check their work closely and it'll be in good shape by August.
Old June 7th, 2020, 08:20 PM

OUCH! Dood that sucks and I would be pissed too if I had such a beauty get damaged by an inattentive driver.

I once had a 67 CS convertible that was damaged by a young man that had stolen his mother's Firebird. He managed to hit three different vehicles at one intersection including mine, head-on! He was not insured to drive that car so the mom was on the hook for everything! She payed for a new radiator for me and then disappeared! Never saw or heard from her again. Then there was the time I was driving my Dodge Ram 2500 work truck and was rear-ended by a Freightliner. I survived, and because of the size of my truck, I was able to protect the string of import vehicles in front of me. ALL vehicles have their places and uses. The drivers are the problem!
Old June 7th, 2020, 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
Guess all our 18 wheelers (80,000lbs) should be parked, they apparently would be “weapons of mass destruction” in your world, what vehicle weight is safe to operate on streets and highways?
You seem to have missed the point. Those 18-wheelers are used for what they're designed for. The vehicle in question, evidently not.
However, moving as much freight onto rails as possible wouldn't be that bad of an idea, not only for the sake of road safety. Those 18-wheelers do indeed damage public roadways much more than lighter vehicles do. I don't know how it is over there anymore. But, here in Zoorope, the roadways have become warehouses on wheels, partly due to Just-In-Time shipment practices. The present pandemic has scrambled up this policy, hopefully showing shipment companies how fragile their business model is
Originally Posted by 1970cs
...Ford truck drivers up here in Michigan have a hard time following the rules, turn signal use is the big one!...
When I used to live in Michigan, I once got pulled over for a rolling stop at a sign. This seems to contrast against what I'm reading here about contemporary general police indifference to traffic safety.
Over here, one wonders where all of that tax revenue is going, since evrybody pretty much does whatever they feel like, with impunity. If a private business was in the habit of deliberately not functioning, they would go out of business right quick. Over here, an enormous amount of revenue, through enforcing traffic laws, goes out the window uncollected. If they were to start pulling people over for speeding and playing with their "Smart"phones, there would be no need for levying taxes on small businesses in order to compensate for this lost revenue

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; June 7th, 2020 at 10:25 PM.
Old June 7th, 2020, 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by Killian_Mörder
. If a cop isn't being lazy, he could also summon cell phone data from the time the accident took place. I don't see any reason, as to why anyone should be reminding policemen to do so.
IMHO, these types should be facing capital punishment for playing while driving. Not only because of the classic cars of which they destroy. What they drive are truly weapons of mass destruction which endanger pedestrians, as well as other motorists
A cop could do that. Writing up a subpoena or a search warrant, convincing a judge, magistrate or district attorney that the information is necessary, and then sending it to the corporate cell phone entity. Maybe getting a response from cell co, maybe not. The OP didn't say anything about the other guy being on a cell phone. Maybe he was on a cell phone and ran the stop sign or maybe he was not on a cell phone and ran the stop sign. It is not a case of being lazy, it's about an appropriate response. If same scenario but someone died, by all means get the information. But it doesn't change the fact that he ran a stop sign.

By the way I drive a crew-cab full size pickup truck 99% of the time alone with an empty bed. Because I want to. If we all drove only what was necessary for the trip, nearly everyone would be on mopeds and there would be no reason to have a classic car.
Old June 7th, 2020, 11:29 PM

There is quite a difference between just running a stop sign and running a stop sign because of playing with a toy. The penalty gets exponential, when the violation involves an accident caused by such buffoonery.
As far as authorities obtaing access to cellphone data, the ongoing pandemic has called for legislation demanding Google (being one of them) to place an app on phones using their software intended on tracking those who violate lockdowns. The French government has initiated this move and it might domino out to the rest of Europe. I don't remember if such initiatives have started in any U.S. state yet. But, if they can get away with this, what's to stop authorities implementing such a move nationwide involving those behind a wheel? I really don't want to see such infringements on privacy. But, if things don't change on a physical level, such a Damsecles Sword could be soon hanging over our heads
Originally Posted by rpinnt
...I drive a crew-cab full size pickup truck 99% of the time alone with an empty bed. Because I want to...
Well, in that case, the thread author has really no reason for getting all worked up about what just happened to his car. If a moped were to hit it, the damage would have been much less, if the moped's ability to stop were to be as long as that of a heavy truck with a high center of gravity. In such a case, there would be some justice for the moped rider, because there's much less material between him and the victim's vehicle.
One has to choose between real and false freedoms, I suppose
Old June 8th, 2020, 12:06 AM

Penalty is far from exponential. While I can't speak for Texas (or Germany,) here the penalty for a stop sign is $75. There is no cell phone ban while driving but one could argue it is negligent so an additional $100.

This is the U.S., flawed as it may be, we still have privacy rights and freedom of choice, hence my decision to drive what I want. As far as the moped argument you were the one to suggest that you need to have cargo in a pickup truck to be able to drive it. I simply expanded that by saying most people drive only themselves to where ever they are going and, based on your statements, anything larger than a moped would be unnecessary.

Old June 8th, 2020, 04:45 AM

They don't see STOP signs because their head is stuck somewhere else.
Old June 8th, 2020, 05:26 AM

Originally Posted by COBRA2000
Talk about service...The Hagerty claims guy already called me an hour ago telling me he will be out first thing tomorrow morning to look at my car.....Not bad service for a Sunday….
Glad you got good service from Hagerty Cobra. I've actually considered dropping them for my 71. They gave me lousy service when a tow truck driver scrapped the tailpipes on my 71.

BTW everyone:

NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.
Old June 8th, 2020, 05:32 AM

ANOTHER PIC..

Old June 8th, 2020, 06:49 AM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

I still find it insane you guys can plate your vehicles and run no insurance. While I have antique and a $800 deductible and that limited amount that can be fixed, I have 2 million liability to license my 70S for $158 a year. You can't just plate your vehicles here, a minimum 500,000 liability and both cars get fixed, you pay for whatever deductible you opted for to fix your car.
Old June 8th, 2020, 07:22 AM

It's illegal to not have insurance in the US.
Old June 8th, 2020, 07:30 AM

Evidently, not spacious enough. How can anybody not see a stop sign? That's why it's best to have at least two cameras running at all times, while on the road. If a cop isn't being lazy, he could also summon cell phone data from the time the accident took place. I don't see any reason, as to why anyone should be reminding policemen to do so.
IMHO, these types should be facing capital punishment for playing while driving. Not only because of the classic cars of which they destroy. What they drive are truly weapons of mass destruction which endanger pedestrians, as well as other motorists

Good Lord, aren’t you a bit full of yourself??? Does anyone NEED a classic car? Does anyone NEED guns? Does anyone NEED anything but food, water, or shelter? I’d be willing to bet my last dollar that you own something that someone else would consider frivolous or unnecessary. Who is to say what’s needed or unneeded in anyone’s life?

I owned a 06 Ram 4x4 MegaCab diesel. Until a year ago, it was my daily driver. It has been involved in 5 collisions , 4 of which were caused by small cars hitting me. I always wonder how drivers can miss a truck that big? The 5th collision was by far the worst, old man (in a 1/2 ton ford truck) ran a stop sigh, the damage started at the middle of the passenger front door, and continued almost to the rear bumper. My point, driving is a privilege, and needs to be treated as such. Inattentive drivers are everywhere, and drive all kinds of vehicles.

Old June 8th, 2020, 07:33 AM

Anyway, time to lighten up. Sorry about the OP car. Glad to hear insurance is moving quick to make repairs.
Old June 8th, 2020, 07:38 AM
Escape From The Ordinary

ANOTHER PIC..
Sorry to see this happen but glad to hear that you're alright. Is this a real W-30 convertible?
Old June 8th, 2020, 07:50 AM

Be sure to push for loss of value, depending on original sheet metal on the car before being hit could be as high as 25%
Old June 8th, 2020, 09:00 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

This is from experience:
Do not accept a dollar of the insurance payment until the car is taken apart and completely inspected for unseen damage...to include time on a frame table just to make sure the frame didn't get tweaked. A tweaked frame will affect the final panel gaping as front end alignment.

If you have any leftover paint prior to this accident even if it's bad it can help with a paint match.

Did the tire take some impact? If yes then the tire gets replaced for safety. Is the rim tweaked? If yes it gets replaced. Will the front end align properly without excessive use of A-Arm shims? Is the A-Arm bent....I can go on but you get the point(s).

Do in-depth Bodyshop homework. Make sure you employ a top-notch shop even if it means accepting the higher estimate and or shipping the car to another state...shipping may be covered.
Insist on shop references and pictures or in-person inspections of previous work. Go look at some of the cars they have repaired/restored. Is the first Oldsmobile they have repaired/restored??? Look around the shop. It should be clean and organized.
Think about the shop's ability to do the job right, on time, with a written contract, i.e: a shop with both good business practices and craft excellence.

Last thing you need is to get screwed.

The ins company should allow you to choose the shop.
The insurance company should offer to paint the whole side or the whole car if the match isn't to your satisfaction.

You only accept the check when it comes off the alignment rack and the technician is wiping off his fingerprints and you are satisfied.
When the car is finished inspect it very closely and do not accept it until its 100% to your satisfaction.

Ask around here for body shop reference.
Old June 8th, 2020, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Cruiser Bob
Be sure to push for loss of value, depending on original sheet metal on the car before being hit could be as high as 25%
Diminished Value. Fortunately, I have never needed to move in that direction on my classics but, certainly on new vehicles when they have been hit. The insurer hates those words. Keep in mind that the burden of proof falls on you, though. I have, successfully gone that route on 2 occasions.
Old June 8th, 2020, 09:57 AM

Also, I know this will sound not right, but, make the promise to yourself to make the car right, even if insurance only gets you 85% of the way there. The body shop is working for YOU. YOU are paying the body shop. You are being sent money by the insurance company, but YOU are in control. Make sure the body shop understands that, and if it takes a couple grand out of pocket to make it right; make it right.
Old June 8th, 2020, 01:17 PM

Thank you to all on this forum for their support!!!! I feel better already,,,
Great, you should, I was not member when I lost my car in 2016.... Although I had support and understanding around me. I'm sure being a member here would of lessened the blow.

ANOTHER PIC..
In a sense you lucked out. Imagine you didn't baby it off the line. And she got t-boned instead.

Originally Posted by Koda
Also, I know this will sound not right, but, make the promise to yourself to make the car right, even if insurance only gets you 85% of the way there. The body shop is working for YOU. YOU are paying the body shop. You are being sent money by the insurance company, but YOU are in control. Make sure the body shop understands that, and if it takes a couple grand out of pocket to make it right; make it right.
Koda is 100% on . I was whishy washy with my car and the direction to go in when it happened to me. Half assed the repair and the wound still bother's me to this day. Had I fixed it right to begin with or cut it loose altogether. I'd probably being in a better place mentally with regards to it.
Old June 8th, 2020, 03:03 PM

I'll bet Haggerty will take good care of you.. Still it's a shame, but -you know- accidents do happen. Doesn't make it any easier though...
Old June 8th, 2020, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by droldsmorland
This is from experience:
Do not accept a dollar of the insurance payment until the car is taken apart and completely inspected for unseen damage...to include time on a frame table just to make sure the frame didn't get tweaked. A tweaked frame will affect the final panel gaping as front end alignment.

If you have any leftover paint prior to this accident even if it's bad it can help with a paint match.

Did the tire take some impact? If yes then the tire gets replaced for safety. Is the rim tweaked? If yes it gets replaced. Will the front end align properly without excessive use of A-Arm shims? Is the A-Arm bent....I can go on but you get the point(s).

Do in-depth Bodyshop homework. Make sure you employ a top-notch shop even if it means accepting the higher estimate and or shipping the car to another state...shipping may be covered.
Insist on shop references and pictures or in-person inspections of previous work. Go look at some of the cars they have repaired/restored. Is the first Oldsmobile they have repaired/restored??? Look around the shop. It should be clean and organized.
Think about the shop's ability to do the job right, on time, with a written contract, i.e: a shop with both good business practices and craft excellence.

Last thing you need is to get screwed.

The ins company should allow you to choose the shop.
The insurance company should offer to paint the whole side or the whole car if the match isn't to your satisfaction.

You only accept the check when it comes off the alignment rack and the technician is wiping off his fingerprints and you are satisfied.
When the car is finished inspect it very closely and do not accept it until its 100% to your satisfaction.

Ask around here for body shop reference.
Every thing you said here has been done today....Insurance adjuster tried to nickel and dime, but I put him in his place!!! IT MUST BE RESTORED BACK TO IT'S ORIGINAL CONDITION!!!
Old June 8th, 2020, 06:46 PM
Administrator

I hope all turns out well, dealing with this kind of thing is always a pain in the butt.
Old June 8th, 2020, 09:21 PM

You seem to have missed the point. Those 18-wheelers are used for what they're designed for. The vehicle in question, evidently not.
However, moving as much freight onto rails as possible wouldn't be that bad of an idea, not only for the sake of road safety. Those 18-wheelers do indeed damage public roadways much more than lighter vehicles do. I don't know how it is over there anymore. But, here in Zoorope, the roadways have become warehouses on wheels, partly due to Just-In-Time shipment practices. The present pandemic has scrambled up this policy, hopefully showing shipment companies how fragile their business model is When I used to live in Michigan, I once got pulled over for a rolling stop at a sign. This seems to contrast against what I'm reading here about contemporary general police indifference to traffic safety.
Over here, one wonders where all of that tax revenue is going, since evrybody pretty much does whatever they feel like, with impunity. If a private business was in the habit of deliberately not functioning, they would go out of business right quick. Over here, an enormous amount of revenue, through enforcing traffic laws, goes out the window uncollected. If they were to start pulling people over for speeding and playing with their "Smart"phones, there would be no need for levying taxes on small businesses in order to compensate for this lost revenue
You seem to have a dislike for trucks. Would it make you feel better if the OP's car was hit by a Volkswagen?????
The bottom line is that the mans car was damaged by an Idiot blowing the stop sign.
Old June 8th, 2020, 09:47 PM

Wow That sucks!!!
Good luck with bring it back hope it goes smoothly!
Old June 8th, 2020, 10:40 PM

I’m glad you are alright. Although frustrating, your damage seems pretty superficial to me. Try to take a “glass half full” approach. You have excellent insurance, the car is absolutely repairable and most importantly, YOU ARE ALIVE, and not breathing through a machine, fed through a tube and excreting waste into a bag. This will pass. Get it repaired and forge on. Life is truly too short to stress and smolder. I am sorry you got hit, but don’t let this drive you down the rabbit hole.
Old June 9th, 2020, 06:53 AM
Olds Specialist LOL

Terrible News, Great looking car. you will bring it back no problem.
Old June 9th, 2020, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by Ancient Iron
You seem to have a dislike for trucks...
I don't have a dislike for any tool. I only dislike people abusing them, in order to damage others. I myself have just the truck I need. In fact, I moved my entire apartment with it. If I were to drive around playing with the phone, the most I could do was to dent the guy's trim ring. In a worse case scenario, I would have been justifyably squashed by the load I was hauling:

Originally Posted by matt69olds
Good Lord, aren’t you a bit full of yourself??? Does anyone NEED a classic car? Does anyone NEED guns? Does anyone NEED anything but food, water, or shelter? I’d be willing to bet my last dollar that you own something that someone else would consider frivolous or unnecessary. Who is to say what’s needed or unneeded in anyone’s life?...
I'm on a forum of ownwers of that above vehicle. One of the members lives here in town. He used to make fun of me for owning that thing while not driving it around everywhere like he does. Once he saw that I moved my entire household with it, he then kept his mouth shut forever. Just because I own an electric drill doesen't mean that I have to plug it in and then spin it in vain, just because otherwise my neighbors would think I'm some kind of snowflake for not using it. The fist thing our shop teacher told us in junior highschool was to use the proper-sized hammer for the job we were doing. Do you go out hunting sparrows using buckshot? Because of this type overkill, someone's temporarilly out of an irreplacable clasic car

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; June 9th, 2020 at 11:11 AM.
Old June 9th, 2020, 12:03 PM
Administrator

That is not a truck...
Old June 9th, 2020, 12:14 PM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Well, Cobra keep us posted. Haggerty has a good rep.

My buds 55 got rear-ended hard enough to almost blow out the rear window and put him in the hospital with neck injuries. (no headrests).
It has a custom paint job, house of kolors paint with phantom flames. Clean Florida car to-boot.

J.C Taylor stepped up to the plate. They allowed him to choose the shop and told him if the colors couldn't be matched they would pay to repaint the whole car.
I looked it over after it was repaired. I can't find a single flaw. The body shop stepped up too. Took some time but it was done right.

With your car, the whole dog house would come off in my shop.
If they know what they are doing the core support will be removed then the frame checked, then verify the core support fit up in XY&Z directions after the horns are verified.
Get it wrong and the panel gaps will suk. Especially the headlight buckets, grills, and hood to core gaps. Limited use of shims will prove proper alignment.

Make sure the backside of the new fender gets finished to prevent rust. Zinc primer especially on the leg, then dust to match the factory.
My GS buddy had his core support powder-coated, reduced gloss. Cheap durable and looks great 30 years later.

Now is the time to do anything you have been wanting to get at under the hood. Do it now even if you have to pay extra for that.

Make yourself a punch list to keep track of all the questions you will need to ask the body shop. Once it all gets going it's easy to let the small stuff fall through the cracks.

Old June 9th, 2020, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
That is not a truck...
No kidding...its a cab-over trike.

Hell, I just bought a new Polaris 1000 that has more utility & payload that thing.

Last edited by KW5413; June 9th, 2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old June 9th, 2020, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by KW5413
They don't see STOP signs because their head is stuck somewhere else.
Strapping their loved ones onto the hoods of their vehicles should help them with pulling their heads back out

Old June 9th, 2020, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by KW5413
No kidding...its a cab-over trike.

Hell, I just bought a new Polaris 1000 that has more utility & payload that thing.

im thinking my lawn tractor and utility wagon would be comparable
Old June 9th, 2020, 08:59 PM

Evidently, not spacious enough. How can anybody not see a stop sign? That's why it's best to have at least two cameras running at all times, while on the road. If a cop isn't being lazy, he could also summon cell phone data from the time the accident took place. I don't see any reason, as to why anyone should be reminding policemen to do so.

And others could argue the same about our classic cars being unsafe for public roads. I could argue everything from their really bad brakes (compared to modern cars), huge blind spots (or at least lack of mirrors, especially passenger side), to they are endangering the environment due to lack of pollution controls.

I drive an F-250 every day. To be blunt, it stops better than my 442 in stock form and has much better exterior visibility. It also has all sorts of safety features that help avoid accidents, unlike my 442. For example, blind spot radar, cross traffic radar, trailer lane warnings, rate of closure to forward vehicles / obstacle alarms, adaptive cruise control, and 360 degrees worth of cameras.

Finally, do you think anyone should take you seriously for suggesting capital punishment (I.e. execution) for a fender bender? What if the guy was in a Prius, ran the same stop sign, and hit the OP? Would you suggest capital punishment, or, a substantial tax credit for both driving a Prius and taking out a rolling pollution factory?

Last edited by 70Rocket; June 9th, 2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old June 9th, 2020, 09:09 PM

I don't have a dislike for any tool. I only dislike people abusing them, in order to damage others. I myself have just the truck I need. In fact, I moved my entire apartment with it. If I were to drive around playing with the phone, the most I could do was to dent the guy's trim ring. In a worse case scenario, I would have been justifyably squashed by the load I was hauling:

I'm on a forum of ownwers of that above vehicle. One of the members lives here in town. He used to make fun of me for owning that thing while not driving it around everywhere like he does. Once he saw that I moved my entire household with it, he then kept his mouth shut forever. Just because I own an electric drill doesen't mean that I have to plug it in and then spin it in vain, just because otherwise my neighbors would think I'm some kind of snowflake for not using it. The fist thing our shop teacher told us in junior highschool was to use the proper-sized hammer for the job we were doing. Do you go out hunting sparrows using buckshot? Because of this type overkill, someone's temporarilly out of an irreplacable clasic car

Honestly, if you think you aren’t just as much of a threat to other motorists in that unstable POS, I don’t know what to say. Good luck during an emergency lane change or panic stop.
Old June 9th, 2020, 09:12 PM

I forget to add that you idea of a single wratchet strap for load control is both stupid and a danger to other motorists and pedestrians.
Old June 9th, 2020, 09:25 PM

To the OP, I’m sorry for your loss.
Old June 9th, 2020, 09:25 PM

You call that three wheeled Porto-Potty a truck?????. That thing isn't legal on American roads.
I'm sorry for the OP's car being damaged but your argument against the guy that hit him just because he had a full-size pickup is completely stupid.
Old June 9th, 2020, 11:02 PM

Originally Posted by dc2x4drvr
Guess all our 18 wheelers (80,000lbs) should be parked, they apparently would be “weapons of mass destruction” in your world, what vehicle weight is safe to operate on streets and highways?
Hey for once somethings not bigger and better in America

Our ( Finland) maximum weight limit on road for truck is 167'500lbs . 80'000lbs seems little tiny in comparison
Of course it requires proper trucks to tow like Mercedes, MAN, Volvo, Scania, Iveco..
Old June 10th, 2020, 01:12 AM

M.A.N.s are cool. A former roommate of mine used to be a truckdriver. He prefered driving M.A.N.s even more than he did Mercedes.
The interiors look luxury car elegant

This here is a smaller 6-wheel drive vehicle located not that far from my crib:

M.A.N. production:

A plug:

They're even in business building cargoship engines:

Last edited by Killian_Mörder; June 10th, 2020 at 01:21 AM.
Old June 10th, 2020, 04:00 AM

I don't have a dislike for any tool. I only dislike people abusing them, in order to damage others.
??? I usually don't engage in debate with other's stupid remarks, but I find it sad that you think that just because someone is driving their truck unloaded that they are "abusing them" with the intention to "damage others". WTF. You do realize that even if every pickup truck was loaded for every trip (to fit your myopic view of a truck's usefulness), that once that truck drops off its load that it has to be driven back home (or where ever) empty, no? It is impossible, even for commercial trucks, to scheduled it to carry a load for every mile that it travels in a day. When you were moving your entire home with your trike-with-a-bed, did you drive it loaded both ways between houses? Didn't think so. How do you know that the driver of the truck that hit the OP wasn't doing exactly that (driving between houses)? In fact, how do you know that his truck's bed was empty for that matter? Talk about jumping the shark.

Last edited by JohnnyBs68S; June 10th, 2020 at 04:06 AM.

Quick Reply: Nooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!