General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Nice article about Oldsmobile's heyday

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2019, 09:48 AM

Nice article about Oldsmobile's heyday

Long Before the SUV Age, America's Best-Selling Car Was a Cutlass Coupe

https://jalopnik.com/long-before-the...was-1836214450
Old July 10th, 2019, 10:03 AM
Always room for one more

Thanks for posting, Jaunty. I got about a minute into the video until that punk got the best of me. My takeaway was that he was just mocking the car, and the half a million people who bought one. And where the hell was he in 1977. That's right. Nowhere.
Old July 10th, 2019, 10:06 AM
Old(s) Fart

I would argue that the article isn't about Oldsmobile's heyday. It's about one specific Oldsmobile by some millennial who wasn't alive when those cars were new. It isn't even a "nice" article. It kind of craps on the car.
Old July 10th, 2019, 10:16 AM

Yeah, the guy in the video is a bit of a jerk, but it's what you'd expect from someone who wasn't alive then. But I did like the article for what it was, pointing out that there was a time when SUVs were not the top sellers and that what was the top seller was something as unusual-sounding today as a mid-size coupe.

Let's lighten up a bit, eh? Thanks.

Last edited by jaunty75; July 10th, 2019 at 10:20 AM.
Old July 10th, 2019, 10:36 AM
Always room for one more

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Let's lighten up a bit, eh? Thanks.
So you post your opinion to a public discussion forum, and when someone disagrees you tell them to stuff it. Sorry, the few seconds I saw of the video, not to mention the article, of which I read the entire thing, was filled with condescension. Typical of today's youth.

This surprises me Jaunty. You are usually all over this kind of debauchery.

Addendum: I did go back and watched the whole video. Painful. And I'm having a great day, thanks.

Last edited by slantflat; July 10th, 2019 at 10:45 AM.
Old July 10th, 2019, 10:39 AM

You have a nice day, too.
Old July 10th, 2019, 11:11 AM

Geez...

I thought it was a decent article. I didn't watch the video though.
Old July 10th, 2019, 06:33 PM

I was hoping he was going to step in front of that white van...
Old July 10th, 2019, 06:34 PM

Good Lord, I couldn’t watch all of it. Typical know-it-all kid“automotive enthusiast”, probably watched all the Fast and Furious movies. Yep, give this kid any credit would be calling the majority of the mid 70s car buyers idiots.
Old July 11th, 2019, 03:05 AM

Selling 500,000 cars means IT HAD STYLE, at least for that time period. In the picture a 76 Cutlass is definitely getting the Lincoln's attention!!!
Old July 11th, 2019, 03:36 AM

I turned of the video about the time he use the word style and Honda Accord in the same sentence.

My oldest stepdaughter was car was car shopping last year, she wanted me to look at a Nissan or something similiar. I told her to make sure she negotiates a deal to include comfortable shoes, because she would have to park it down the street. No imports in my driveway!!!!
Old July 11th, 2019, 09:22 AM

And thats why younger people dont feel car hobby as theirs, when old geezers turn them off. Happens all the time.
Then we wonder why the people on our hobby gets older and older with less and less youths coming in. Love for cars should be the driving point, even if some facts werent correct, or you didnt agree with some opinion of theirs. Wouldnt it be better to let them in and teach them, IF they want to learn, and if not, just keep them inside still and let them have it their way.
Narrow-mindness wont lead to anything.

Relax.
Old July 11th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Jouni - I don't think us old geezers are trying to turn anyone off with comments. The video clearly bashes the styling cues of the 70's Cutlass but that's typical of the generations that didn't live with these cars. Personally I enjoyed the 76/77 Cutlass for it's appearance and comfort.

IMO you're right - up to a point with saying the love should be associated with driving. In 76/77 there really wasn't a lot of performance left so the obvious market was comfort and (sic) styling. There's a reason that Cutlass was the top selling mid size car those years so in a way I'm wondering if the point of the video was to address the buyers choice/preference or the car. That car likely has a small V8 or V6 in it. I'm actually impressed that it was out on the street and in such good condition.

As far as the Carspotting guy? Let's attach the same criticism to him that you're attaching to us. He's not trying to help people appreciate the genre or model or company. He's basically being openly critical of the car and styling. That's his opinion and he's sharing it openly on the web. In return, we can openly share our opinions of why we think he's out of line. That in no way detracts from influencing new hobbyists one way or another. It's therefore a balanced playing field IMO. People can believe what they want. I have to say it's made me want to never watch carspotting if this is the quality of one sided reporting it offers.

Good to see you again bud. How's life with the second bambino around the house?
Old July 12th, 2019, 06:39 AM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Jouni - I don't think us old geezers are trying to turn anyone off with comments. The video clearly bashes the styling cues of the 70's Cutlass but that's typical of the generations that didn't live with these cars. Personally I enjoyed the 76/77 Cutlass for it's appearance and comfort.

IMO you're right - up to a point with saying the love should be associated with driving. In 76/77 there really wasn't a lot of performance left so the obvious market was comfort and (sic) styling. There's a reason that Cutlass was the top selling mid size car those years so in a way I'm wondering if the point of the video was to address the buyers choice/preference or the car. That car likely has a small V8 or V6 in it. I'm actually impressed that it was out on the street and in such good condition.

As far as the Carspotting guy? Let's attach the same criticism to him that you're attaching to us. He's not trying to help people appreciate the genre or model or company. He's basically being openly critical of the car and styling. That's his opinion and he's sharing it openly on the web. In return, we can openly share our opinions of why we think he's out of line. That in no way detracts from influencing new hobbyists one way or another. It's therefore a balanced playing field IMO. People can believe what they want. I have to say it's made me want to never watch carspotting if this is the quality of one sided reporting it offers.

Good to see you again bud. How's life with the second bambino around the house?
Hmmhh.. I tried to edit my post some after sending it, right away, but some strange virus that F-Secure cant find somehow prohibited it, so i just thought what the hell.

I often forgot our cultural differences, where we use to say face to face exactly what we think and no offence taken; where i feel that your culture is alot more polite.

I spoke directly from my experience with local american car culture; theres those "numbers matching" guys, and those who dont give a f***. Often, miracuosly, they get along well with each others, but every now and then its a mess. Im on the "dont give a f***"-camp, and some of my friends are on the "numbers matching camp". We get along nicely, but some people have problems with each others. My comment was merely a sting to the other camp.

I feel my English aint good enough to express myself, but hey, atleast i tried.

And hey; not born yet Still; quick leave to hospital could come in a next minute or so