General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New gas

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2016, 06:46 AM

New gas

My chainsaw started acting up . So tore it apart to see what was wrong . What I found was two of the rubber mounts where broken which in turn tore the rubber "intake manifold " not sure if the intake was caused by the fuel but the rubber mount that was the worst was right under the fuel tank it swollen and very spongy . The guy at the saw shop had double check to make sure he had the same part. I saw on line the intake manifold it said no guarantee if using more than 10 % alcohol .
I guess this winter I should change my carb over for alcohol .. I hope they sell a kit "holley". I have 6 or 8 power valves I might as through away. Next will be fuel lines fuel pump? Fuel pick up?
Pics of new mount be side old.
Railguy

20160902_140809.jpg

20160902_140759.jpg
Old September 6th, 2016, 04:53 AM
Oldsdruid

Why not just use non-ethanol gas if you can find it? I've had a lot less trouble with my yard equipment since they went to non-ethanol, and all that trouble I was having with the wagon earlier this summer went away when I started using non-ethanol in it.

I maintain this ethanol fuel will eventually be found to be as bad or worse than that MTBE mess was several years back. But as long as Big Corn has the lobbying power it has we'll have the mess. Trump scares me in many ways, but if he follows thru on his promise to dismantle the E P A...
Old September 6th, 2016, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by rocketraider

I maintain this ethanol fuel will eventually be found to be as bad or worse than that MTBE mess was several years back. But as long as Big Corn has the lobbying power it has we'll have the mess. Trump scares me in many ways, but if he follows thru on his promise to dismantle the E P A...

http://thehill.com/policy/energy-env...thanol-mandate
Old September 6th, 2016, 01:54 PM

Well if we discover that ethanol is a carcinogen like MBTE then I'm in a world of hurt with as much as I've consumed just over the holiday weekend.
Old September 7th, 2016, 03:21 AM
Oldsdruid

But you didn't BURN it, Kenneth...
Old September 8th, 2016, 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by rocketraider
Why not just use non-ethanol gas if you can find it? I've had a lot less trouble with my yard equipment since they went to non-ethanol, and all that trouble I was having with the wagon earlier this summer went away when I started using non-ethanol in it.

I ts been so long since I've seen non ethanol gas I'd forgotten about it. A friend told me it's out lawed in Pa.. It could be true . I t would be easyer to use it in lawn equipment cause it takes a lot less. But with my car a little harder to do.
I work alot in md. And va. Maybe someone in one of those states knows of a place.
Railguy
Old September 8th, 2016, 05:22 PM

Railguy: Sta-Bil now makes a Marine formula that treats the whole system, not just the fuel. It has additives that clean the system, good for use in high moisture areas, removes water from fuel, provides a coating for fuel lines, carb. and tank to prevent moisture corrosion. One quart treats 320 gallons for normal monthly use or less for yearly storage (you double the dose). Affective in all gasolines and for ethanol blended fuels, including E10 through E85. After opening it has a two (2) year shelf life. It is a bit pricey by the quart by itself, so I buy it by the case (1/3 less cost). If you want to just buy a one quart, go to Walmart, they have the best price. I use it in my motor home, weed eater, gas blower, whole house generator, chain saws, and motorcycle.

Although marine or non-ethanol fuel is sold near me at two gas stations it is pretty expensive, but still way cheaper than 110 race gas at $10.59 a gallon!. One sells 87 for $3.25 a gallon (I do not buy from them) and the other has 93 for $3.25. I use it in my 70' F85 W31 because it has a 11:57 C.R. Ya, I know why did I not lower to 10:50. Well I did the engine in 1997 when ethanol first came to Florida and its' adverse effects where not known yet. I mix two (2) gallons of 93 marine with one (1) gallon of 110 and retarded the timing 4 degrees. I use the same mix ratio in my 10:5 C. R. race car engine, but I do not need to retard the timing.

Last edited by davebw31; September 8th, 2016 at 05:37 PM.
Old September 8th, 2016, 06:43 PM

Dave do you use the marine Sta bill in you Olds? I mix 5 gallons of 110 racing fuel with 10 gallons of 93 ethanol free and a bottle of Driven Card Defender. Works very good a bit expensive but well worth it I feel.
Old September 9th, 2016, 06:07 AM

I use 100% gas in my Olds and lawn equipment. The Flex and Kia get whatever is cheapest. In OK our ethanol blend is running about $1.80 / gallon and 100% gas is about $2.20 / gallon.

My chainsaw has seen only 100% gas but still doesn't run right. IMHO 2 stoke engines are POS. I bought an electric weed eater because my 2 stoke Ryobi died after 3 years. Unfortunately they don't make 4 stroke chainsaws (not that I know of at least), and the electrics are too wimpy. My 4 stoke lawn mower has been running strong for 10+ years and all it gets are air filters and spark plugs.
Old September 9th, 2016, 06:09 AM
4 Barrels of Laughs

flying J truck stops sell E0 (no ethanol...get it? ) at the RV station - at least the one in carlisle and brookville do
Old September 9th, 2016, 12:23 PM

If I want ethanol free I gotta go 30+ miles to get it. But my 8 year old Stihl saw and 4 year old Stihl weed eater have ran on 10% with no additives and no troubles. Even when they sit for months at a time. But I use only Stihl premium 2 stroke oil, and always give them cool down time after hard use. That said, ethanol is a joke and needs to be stopped.
Old September 9th, 2016, 02:30 PM

Originally Posted by m371961
If I want ethanol free I gotta go 30+ miles to get it. But my 8 year old Stihl saw and 4 year old Stihl weed eater have ran on 10% with no additives and no troubles. Even when they sit for months at a time. But I use only Stihl premium 2 stroke oil, and always give them cool down time after hard use. That said, ethanol is a joke and needs to be stopped.
I use stihl also never thought about gas until I saw those rubber mounts. I knew I was going to have to do something soon because theyre talking about upping ethanol to 15%. I guess I'll have to do something pretty soon.
Railguy
Old September 10th, 2016, 02:40 AM
Lansing built

You could go with this! Premixed and 93 octane 24 month shelf life!

This product does come in other forms and mixes from other manufacturers.

Pat
Old September 10th, 2016, 07:52 AM

Chris J: I use the marine Sta-Bil only if I am using ethanol. Since this other station started selling 93 non-ethanol I use the standard Sta-Bil (in red bottle) which is cheaper than using the Marine Sta-Bil. I use the "long time, 12 month formula" for the 70' F85 W31 of 2 ounces per 10 gallons. I may or may not go through a full tank of fuel in a year so the reason I use the 12 month formula! In the race car I use the standard Sta-Bil also since I started using the non-ethanol 93 octane.

Last edited by davebw31; September 10th, 2016 at 07:54 AM.