General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New Cars

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2011, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuyDougie
66ninetyeightls -you make funny Wise *** remark to me Eh?

Myself and many others prefer American products period and dont care for remarks about our country and our automakers! Ive been to thousands of classic car shows and never seen a classic Canadian car ever..oh cause there arent any..right??! Yeah I thought so! You can take the we are the World crap and shove it eh! USA-still #1
Never seen a Mercury pick up truck? A Canso, an Acadian, a Beaumont? All Canadian market cars/trucks. Seen a few since I am close to Canada. Albeit not made by Canadian automakers but were made in Canada for Canada.
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:31 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by TK-65
What little Ford is imported from overseas?
The Fiesta!
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Aceshigh

For me, I'd rather buy a car that Americans actually built, and support those jobs then support
Mexicans cheap labor that Ford, GM, and Chrysler have hired to avoid paying American workers.

Buying used, it doesn't matter.
Toyota, Honda and Nissan have Mexicans on their payroll too.

For the record...

The three Detroit-based car companies have 41% of their worldwide work forces in the U.S., versus only 6% for their 13 major competitors.

Domestic content in GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles is 67%, compared with 32% for foreign rivals.

GM and Ford spent, respectively, $6 billion and $5 billion in 2009 on research and development, dwarfing the amount spent by tech hotshots Google ($2.8 billion) and Apple ($1.4 billion).

When the tsunami hit Japan, the domestics kept making cars. The Asian automakers stop production and didnt hit full capacity again until recently. When Toyota had their quality issues, the company president got on TV to say sorry but said it in Japanese because he cannot speak English.

Some people think that Toyota and Honda are as American or more American than the domestics. I dont think so. They are all global companies but none are as American as Ford, GM and Chrysler.
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The Fiesta!

I wouldnt call shipping it across the Rio Grande as coming from overseas. I thought you were talking about the Focus, which is built 5 miles from my house here in Michigan.
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:51 PM
Land Yacht Captain

LOL too funny. Some people just can't take a joke and will always be miserable. And really, you used the "eh" thing??? So I should perpetuate the american stereotype as an illiterate moonshine making drunken hillbilly or warmonger? Get a life!!!

At least get your facts straight. Japan (Toyota) is number 1 and has been for years.

As far as the "Big 3" go... that BIG 3 always makes me chuckle EH!!!! Only 2 of them are even in the Top 10 automakers in the world for sales and only 1 in the top 4. Not so big in the grand scheme of things.

66ninetyeightls -you make funny Wise *** remark to me Eh?

Myself and many others prefer American products period and dont care for remarks about our country and our automakers! Ive been to thousands of classic car shows and never seen a classic Canadian car ever..oh cause there arent any..right??! Yeah I thought so! You can take the we are the World crap and shove it eh! USA-still #1
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Maybe hes thinking of the original Ford Festiva which was actually a Kia Avella!!! LOL That thing was AWESOME!!!!

I wouldnt call shipping it across the Rio Grande as coming from overseas. I thought you were talking about the Focus, which is built 5 miles from my house here in Michigan.
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:01 PM
Administrator

The Fiesta's are built in Germany and the UK
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:09 PM

I found myself a low miles (63,400) 1992 Buick Roadmaster in mint condition from an old man that garage kept it all it's life. I paid $3000 for it and it gets around 20+ mpg. Probably would get better if I could just slow down a little!

They are out there but you have to look for a while.
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Get yourself a used Honda Accord,v6 or 4 cyl. Toyota camry also v6 or 4 cyl. Buy something a couple of years old drive it,pay it off and do SOME of the sched maintance. Nissan and even Hyundai makes a good product now.
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:26 PM

What about a used Miata?
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:43 PM
Land Yacht Captain

You are correct but the ones for sale in North America are built in Cuautitlán Mexico.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The Fiesta's are built in Germany and the UK
Old August 24th, 2011, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jetstar 88
What about a used Miata?
Although they are cute little autocross monsters.....they have a reputation

If you really want a small performance 2 seater, get a Saturn Sky Redline or Pontiac Solstice GXP.
I think the Sky turbo is pretty badass myself.

Last edited by Aceshigh; August 24th, 2011 at 03:22 PM.
Old August 24th, 2011, 03:23 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Thats AWESOME!!! LOL
Agreed the Saturn Sky is a sweet ride.

Although they are cute little autocross monsters.....they have a reputation

If you really want a small performance 2 seater, get a Saturn Sky Redline or Pontiac Solstice GXP.
I think the Sky turbo is pretty badass myself.
Old August 24th, 2011, 04:10 PM

You-LOL too funny. Some people just can't take a joke and will always be miserable. And really, you used the "eh" thing??? So I should perpetuate the american stereotype as an illiterate moonshine making drunken hillbilly or warmonger? Get a life!!!
At least get your facts straight. Japan (Toyota) is number 1 and has been for years.
As far as the "Big 3" go... that BIG 3 always makes me chuckle EH!!!! Only 2 of them are even in the Top 10 automakers in the world for sales and only 1 in the top 4. Not so big in the grand scheme of things.

That was Your big Joke Eh!!! You most be a popular comedian up there. I don't care what the top selling Auto Company is in the World. . It Just means Morons in 2011 wont even support there own country's.........Eh!
The facts is every Classic Great Automobile ( sans 1) ever made came from this country..+everything else. USA will always be at the Top!

You-So I should perpetuate the american stereotype as an illiterate moonshine making drunken hillbilly or warmonger? Get a life!!!

Best buy an American history Book canaDian.We been kicking *** for more than 200+ years and every great invention came from our country!..understand EHHH!

Last edited by GoodOldsGuyDougie; August 26th, 2011 at 09:37 AM.
Old August 24th, 2011, 05:10 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Too funny. And oviously too stupid to figure out the quote function. Here i'll help you... its the little button up top that looks like a speech bubble or better yet the "QUOTE" button. That is of course assuming you can actually read whats on the screen and not using a text to speech converter on your new fangled computing machine.

Best buy an American history Book canaDian.We been kicking *** for more than 200+ years and ever great invention came from our country!..understand EHHH!

Lets start with your first point in that quote.
  • War of 1812 YEAH BABY (We toasted marshmallows)
  • Vietnam
Better have someone read those history books to you again since they left out some parts the first time.

And the second point. Well since this topic is based on cars I would assume you consider them great inventions. Were they invented in the US??????? Nope invented in Germany...

That was Your big Joke Eh!!! You most MUST be a popular comedian up there. I don't care what the top selling Auto Company is in the World. . It Just means Morons in 2011 wont even support there THIER own country's.........Eh!
The facts is every Classic Great Automobile ( sans 1) ever made came from this country..+everything else. USA will always be at the Top!

Best buy an American history Book canaDian.We HAVE been kicking *** for more than 200+ years and ever EVERY great invention came from our country!..understand EHHH!
May I recommend getting your text to speech program checked since you can see it created a number of spelling and gramar mistakes in your previous post.

Feel free to make some more posts. Or mention some more "GREAT" inventions. This is fun.

Or better yet how about you don't and let us "edumacated" people get back to a real discussion.

Last edited by 66ninetyeightls; August 24th, 2011 at 05:13 PM.
Old August 24th, 2011, 05:26 PM

Wow! A ed-Ja-Ma Cation from a Can-Not-Do-ANY-thing!!..EHHH! Was it a Canadian who invented the Computer your on? I don't think so--add that to the other 999,000,000,000, that they didn't invent!

War of 1812--Now that is funny! Actually we took a look around Queenston Heights and decided No thanks No Thanks!

You can end all this now....eh... I'm sure its time to go back to clubbing baby seals now. A proud Canada tradition.

Last edited by GoodOldsGuyDougie; August 24th, 2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old August 24th, 2011, 05:45 PM
Land Yacht Captain

That would be English mathematician Charles Babbage NOT and American. I asked for Great world changing American inventions not a blank list of inventions not made in Canada. I can't type any slower for you....

Wow! A ed-Ja-Ma Cation from a Can-Not-Do-ANY-thing!!..EHHH! Was it a Canadian who invented the Computer your on? I don't think so--add that to the other 999,000,000,000, that they didn't invent!
Yup not a problem. Its over. mmmm baby seal. So tender and juicy. Its like ocean veal!!!

You can end all this now....eh... I'm sure its time to go back to clubbing baby seals now. A proud Canada tradition.

Last edited by 66ninetyeightls; August 24th, 2011 at 05:57 PM.
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:03 PM

Good thing Britain, Germany, Italy, France, Japan, Holland, Sweden, and Spain never actually made any cars...
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:13 PM
Land Yacht Captain

Oh god don't get him going again.

Good thing Britain, Germany, Italy, France, Japan, Holland, Sweden, and Spain never actually made any cars...
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
Oh god don't get him going again.
I didn't mean to!
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:37 PM

What little Ford is imported from overseas?
Eh hem.... To put this back on topic (sorta'...)

I was recently in Germany and had a the upcoming model of the new Ford Escape (2013, I think). It is called the Kuga in Germany. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_Kuga

Anyhow, I was impressed. It is based off of the Focus unibody and seemed really pretty solid. It could also hit 200 km/h on the Autobahn without much trouble at all using a decent, 2.0L turbo-diesel engine mated to 5-speed shifter. Gas mileage was really good a normal speeds (and ultra-crap at 200 km/h). It felt a lot more stable than the Mercedes A-Class I rented last time.

Aside from the stupid-azz name ("Kuga" != Cougar), the only thing that REALLY bothered me was the Start button. It is a "soft button start" thing and the first time I've dealt with it. It just felt cheesy to start a car with a button ... but oh well, I guess they are all going that way.

I am thinking of actually trying to get one of these once they finally start building / selling them here. Too bad it wasn't designed here, but Euro-Ford is better than Chinese-Ford, I guess (see the manual trans in the Mustang ).
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:56 PM
NôôB

WAIT... they club baby seals in Canada? Holy crap i am so moving there just to do that .
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:04 PM

Birdfight.gif
Old August 24th, 2011, 08:05 PM
NôôB

Cool

Best buy an American history Book canaDian.We been kicking *** for more than 200+ years and ever great invention came from our country!..understand EHHH!

Yeah... not to bust your bubble or anything there mang but uhhh that V-8 engine you got there in your car.... DEFINITELY a french invention there.....
OH and putting a V-8 in a car.... YEAH definitely Rolls-Royce which makes it a british thing...

Dont get me wrong all about america and our glory (hense y i am in the military) But dont go yelling at people just cause there from a different country. We are all human beings and still created equal no matter where we are from
Old August 25th, 2011, 05:21 AM

I'm always the type to honestly look at things for what they really are. The mention of Toyota's interesting, as used to be pretty good product. Pay no attention to the recent acceleration claims, as that's all just a bunch of bunk. I'm in the industry, and truth is, these things are really just rolling tin cans on four wheels now for higher profit margins. The drivelines are still good, and guess guess what most are looking for buying these. Wouldn't want one in my garage though.
Old August 25th, 2011, 05:33 AM

Gentlemen,

Can we PLEASE keep this discussion civil?
Old August 25th, 2011, 05:33 AM

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ory=amMade0709

Follow the link if you want to know what cars are the MOST "American made."

Last edited by Lee_A; August 25th, 2011 at 05:44 AM.
Old August 25th, 2011, 05:40 AM
Land Yacht Captain

I had to watch that a few times before I got it!!! AWESOME!!!!!

Old August 25th, 2011, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by 66ninetyeightls
I had to watch that a few times before I got it!!! AWESOME!!!!!
That picture is the best part of this thread
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by LeeA
http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ory=amMade0709

Follow the link if you want to know what cars are the MOST "American made."

or this link for the one thats not 2 years old.

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story....ory=amMade0611

Reading the article below the list should be required for those that think all Domestic cars are imports and all Japanese cars are made here.

Still, Detroit automakers build a majority of the nameplates with high domestic content. For the 2011 model year, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration reports 37 models have domestic parts content of 75 percent or higher. Twenty-eight of them are from a Detroit-based brand. A year ago, Detroit brands were responsible for 35 of the 47 models rated 75 percent or higher.

Detroit carmakers are hardly the only automakers choosing to import. This marks the sixth year Cars.com has produced the American-Made Index. Nissan, whose Versa and Sentra come from Mexico, has yet to field an entrant with more than 65 percent domestic content in those years, NHTSA data show. Several of the most popular Toyota and Honda nameplates — like the Prius hybrid and Fit hatchback — remain imported. Absent its former production plant in northern California, Toyota's popular Corolla hails from just one North American assembly plant. It's in Canada.

One has to remember that the Cars.com list factors in sales. Since the Camry is the number one seller, it has that factored into its domestic content for some stupid reason. The top ten list when sales are not factored in for 2010 is all Ford.

Last edited by TK-65; August 25th, 2011 at 07:27 AM.
Old August 25th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Administrator

I would suggest that one only look at the list of true CLASSICS by definition, not antiques, just true classics,and see how many American Nameplates you find!!!

You will be very disappointed!!
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:28 AM

So back to the original discussion...RX8?
Old August 26th, 2011, 06:40 AM
NôôB

So back to the original discussion...RX8?
Me personally I am not a fan of them due to the rotary engine. One thing goes I heard and bam new engine time.
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:37 AM

RX8 - Researched and test drove one time. World class trans & handling, rev's like crazy, but no torque and history of engine failures. And gas mileage kinda sucks for such a small car. To OP, are you looking for performance, luxury or basic funcitonality in a DD? Might help narrow choices, aside from US vs foreign debate.
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:41 AM

Owned a RX7 wagon fast as hell once you wound it up, three engines later (under warranty) I dumped it.
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:27 AM
Land Yacht Captain

Real engines have pistons!!! Also Mazda just dropped the model.