General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Riddle me this batman

Search this Thread

Old August 24th, 2011, 10:40 AM

Riddle me this batman

Why is it so difficult for men (no offense meant to some of you) to understand that I am the owner of the 1940 oldsmobile and that I am the one doing the work on her?

If I go to a car show and I start asking questions about the cosmetic details, there is no problem getting answers. But when I start going into suspension and engine details, even asking something as simple as where they got certain rebuild components they frequently get a deer in the headlight look or start answering my husband. My favorite is when they just totally ignore my questions.

He has a 2002 Trans Am and if he had his way my olds would be turned into a hot rod. He assists me, that is all.

Maybe this is just nothing more than me venting, but keep this in mind next time a decent looking woman comes up and starts asking questions.
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:54 AM

Never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity.

In my experience, it's relatively rare for women to have any interest in cars at all, let alone vintage cars. Coming across a competent auto restoring hobbyist who is female can be too much for some (many?) males who are not used to abstract thinking.

Don't let it raise your blood pressure; instead, pity those who are incapable of recognizing reality.
Old August 24th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Ben

the reason is most of those folks you are talking to probably don't have the first clue about doing the work you are talking about, not because you are a woman.

There are people who own classic car because they like the idea of classic cars. Those people are check writers. They have enough money they can pay other people to maintain the cars so they can enjoy them.

And then there are people who enjoy classic cars because of the challenge & reward of keeping these cars on the road. These are people who enjoy the tinkering aspect, or through lack of funding were forced to learn and do the tinkering to allow them to enjoy driving it.

There is nothing wrong with Check Writers vs The Do-ers... But there is definitely a big difference when you talk to them.

Just like talking to someone with a fancy sports car. Just because they drive a ferarri or a Viper or a Z06, doesn't mean they can really DRIVE it. And talking to them about their cars, you can instantly tell the difference.

Keep asking questions, you'll find more folks like yourself

Last edited by RAMBOW; August 24th, 2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:00 AM

You are special most women and the majority of men don't even look under the hood. I my self stopped looking under the hood of any car that had EFI and Computer ingnition mods long ago. The fact that you can do the work on your car sets you above many. Your car looks great and you have the knowledge that you done most the work your self.
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Erinyes
In my experience, it's relatively rare for women to have any interest in cars at all, let alone vintage cars.
...let alone actually wrench on them!
People still have a hard time believing that my mom has done oil changes, tune ups, batteries, and tire changes in her garage, and she was a professional office worker.
To most, women working on cars is not the 'norm'.

Perhaps before asking a tech question, start off by saying "I am working on a 1940 Olds......." and watch their jaws drop. After they roll up the tongue, shut the trap and get into listening mode, continue with your question.
Don't let it bother you - be proud of your abilities. I am sure you have more knowledge about mechanics than those "check writer" or "plastic presenter" guys.

I think if a woman ever came up to me asking how to replace control arm bushings, the first thing I would ask back is "are you single?"...
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:30 AM

I think if a woman ever came up to me asking how to replace control arm bushings, the first thing I would ask back is "are you single?"...
__________________You and me both
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:34 AM

Old August 24th, 2011, 11:48 AM

Sounds to me like your husband is a lucky guy.

Don't give up on all of us lol. I enjoy talking to women about cars as much as the rest of my buddies.
Old August 24th, 2011, 11:59 AM

I love it when I see women interested in cars and actually working on them. My neighbor has a 54 chevy truck she is working on and her husband just helps if she really wants him to.
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by 72 cutlass455
Damnnnnnn you beat me to her! I was going to propose!!!! Possibly do you have a sister??? It is rare to find a woman who can wrench on a car!
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:37 PM

I remember my grandfathers 1940 Olds. He kept it out in the barn in Friendship ME. As a kid we use to ride the running boards going down the street....
He (my grandfather) bought it for his mother so she could go to town and shop. She (my great grandmother) would have one of her friends drive her to town, she never drove.
My parents got the car in the mid 70's and it was in Westford, MA for a few years till my mother sold it.. I've been looking for that car ever since.....

Sorry for the off topic on your post but it just brought back a few memories...lol
Old August 24th, 2011, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by 72 cutlass455

+1 to that.
Old August 24th, 2011, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Possibly do you have a sister??? It is rare to find a woman who can wrench on a car!
I do have an older sis who actually asks for power tools for Christmas...
She is admirably handy around the house but not much on cars due to complexity (and greasyness)...

My mom rubbed into both of us I guess.
Old August 24th, 2011, 01:18 PM
Cutlass Lover

I always enjoyed helping my nephew and brothers work on cars. I still like it! That's why they make hats and coveralls, lol! Grease washes out from under the fingernails! I don't have patience with women who can't pop the hood on a car and at least check the oil and such. So you go gurl!!!!! Pay no attention to someone who thinks his manliness is being challenged! I haven't run into any of those rude guys yet.... most are very nice if I ask them a question, and are happy to help out!
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:09 PM

Personally, if a woman comes up and starts asking me a question about my car, I'm going to answer her the same way I answer a man. Doing cars shows for a few years now, you can tell somebody's knowledge when they ask a question.

Who I have fun with is the people that do things to their car, and you can tell by the 3rd word out of their mouth that they have NO CLUE what they are talking about.

My fav is still the guy at work that told me about his cousin's "Poun-act" that had a 350 big block in it and so on, but had to get rid of it becasue a problem he kept have with it. I asked him if it was the Flux Capacator was broken, and he said it was and too expensive to repair, but taking the cams out, helped him get it to the dealership (no typos)

Aslo, him 92 Camaro is now a turn key car, because the steering coloum was now fixed and you use a key to start the car. Yeah
Old August 24th, 2011, 02:49 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Yeah, this is a strange phenomenon.

There are certain things that most guys do without intending to, unless they really train themselves not to - one of them is conversing with the portion of a women's anatomy that lies somewhat south of her face. Most guys who do this are NOT thinking "Golly! Would ya get a look at those things!" They've seen plenty, but there's a magnetic attraction to look at the wrong area, and it can feel like you're lifting a weight with your head to do the decent thing and force yourself to look where you're supposed to. I emphasize that that IS the decent thing, and it's rude to let your eyes wander, but damn they do try to wander sometimes and it's WORK to force them to stay put.
Similarly, as has been said, I think sometimes it's just such a shock to encounter a person of the female persuasion who is not only knowledgeable, but also interested in cars that a lot of guys just can't process the information.

This does NOT excuse the guys who refuse to talk to "the little lady," but, since most women would agree that most guys are just plain stupid, it makes sense that some of them simply can't understand how those words can be coming from a female person, and keep craning their necks to see if there's a guy standing behind her throwing his voice (kinda like the dog does if he hears your voice through the stereo speakers ).

- Eric
Old August 24th, 2011, 03:21 PM

My oldest daughter is going to collage for automotive management and works on her own car as well as her own 63-98 project when she has time so any woman who talks cars and can do her own thing is allways welcome to talk and add input to any conversation we are having.
Keep up the good work and enjoy talking to those that can apreciate your knowledge of these fine cars
Steve
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:10 PM
Oldsdruid

I've known many women with their own old cars over the years. Some did their own wrenching, others paid someone to wrench for them, but the common thread is these women knew what they were talking about with their old cars and could converse intelligently at length about them. I've also found most women old car owners excel at research on their cars.

There are especially a lot of old-car-owning women in AACA.

Kattosha, you're not alone here. Sandy and Teepo come to mind, as do oldsladyliz and her 38 and 56 Oldsmobiles.
Old August 24th, 2011, 07:22 PM

since you brought it up and any other post we would be saying more pics I want to see you and your car I have to say that yes 40's car's are simple in there own way but like others said I have worked on some 50's cars and some forty's tractor's farmall H M and c's but never a that vintage car.
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:35 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

When I worked at a Vauxhall (British arn of GM) dealership the sales guys (all men) blew lots of deals when couples came in looking for a car for the female of the pair by ignoring the woman and trying to sell the car to the man.
They blew a fleet contract at least once with that attitude.
The sales force at the rival Skoda dealership were much more enlightened and often picked up sales from us and other dealers by talking to the woman as if she knew what she was talking about.
The dealership I worked at has gone out of business, the Skoda dealer is still going strong.

Roger.
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:42 AM

Thanks for the chuckles guys, and reassurance that not all of my show encounters will be less than desireable.

I have always realized that towing a 3 yr old along eliminates most chances of me being taken seriously, but the other night I went to a show without husband or child and I almost blew a gasket it. I was even asked a few times why I was showing my husbands car and would he be around later.

I should know I'd encounter these issues, as I encountered them for 7 years while I was a Field Service Repair tech in the wastewater industry.

Maybe its a midwest thing? I grew up west coast of Canada and have wrenched on cars since my fathers old Montego. Growing up most of my dates involved working with cars and nothing was thought of it. Here it seems to be a big deal.
Old August 25th, 2011, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Kattosha
I should know I'd encounter these issues, as I encountered them for 7 years while I was a Field Service Repair tech in the wastewater industry.

Uh, yes... That part took ME by surprise!
A guy in our bike club has that same profession. He says it is pretty good job security, because no matter how foul the economy gets, everyone still has to go...
Old August 25th, 2011, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Kattosha
Thanks for the chuckles guys, and reassurance that not all of my show encounters will be less than desireable.
...but the other night I went to a show without husband or child and I almost blew a gasket it. I was even asked a few times why I was showing my husbands car and would he be around later.....
Seriously ? You got upset because some doofii (plural of doofus) couldn't grasp that the car is yours, you're knowledgeable, and you're quite capable of working on it ?

Just say 'No, its mine.'

Who cares what they think.....??
Old August 25th, 2011, 02:50 PM
Registered car nut

I have one project car (my Cutlass)
My wife has two. A classic Volvo and a Ford 5.0 powered Volvo.
My daughter changed her old boyfriends oil because he did not know how. And she welds.

O.K. the truth is I have 3 projects just two of them are my wifes.
She tells me she'll help clean tools but never does. LOL

I joke with my wife I'll probably end up leaving my tools to our daughter because the boys could care less.
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by nonhog
I have one project car (my Cutlass)
My wife has two. A classic Volvo and a Ford 5.0 powered Volvo.
My daughter changed her old boyfriends oil because he did not know how. And she welds.

O.K. the truth is I have 3 projects just two of them are my wifes.
She tells me she'll help clean tools but never does. LOL

I joke with my wife I'll probably end up leaving my tools to our daughter because the boys could care less.
I bet your wife say's she has one project too YOU my wife like that I have a hobby she just wishes it was a cheaper one.
Old August 25th, 2011, 03:11 PM

Congrats on being a grease monkey. The first rule of being one is that if anyone gives you crap, you shovel it right back at them!

I will readily admit that I have been brainwashed into thinking that a rather young woman would not be interested in a '40 anything, let alone wrench on it. However, if I am asked an enlightened question by said female, I will soon bore her to tears blathering out a detailed answer to her. If she is attractive and with her husband, I will look at him often to make sure he is not getting pissed at me for talking to his wife and getting ready to rabbit punch me.

I would never, ever start a conversation with her at a show by asking if it is her husbands car. This assumes way too many things that are often very very wrong in today's society, as I personally know several lesbian women/couples.

As others have said, your asking detailed questions to some people have given them a deer-in-the-headlights heart attack, as they have bought the car and know zero about it. Ignore them. As a certified grease monkey, you even get to deride them as you walk away as being pansies.

As you get older and wiser, you will realize that car shows are like going to high school, they have so many clics and undercurrents there that I personally almost never talk to people at shows anymore.

I love hearing about girls that wrench, with all the "metrosexual" men out there that can't find their butt with both hands, we need all the grease monkeys we can find!
Old August 26th, 2011, 08:40 AM

One of my best electrical leads is named Staci and when I tell customer that Staci will be running the project they always ask when will he start and I say She will start on Monday. The looks I get are deer in the head light. But once they have her do there work they always request her back. Been with me for about 10 years now. We both have fun with this. The deep south is the worse for this attitude.
Old August 26th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Summerof84
If she is attractive and with her husband, I will look at him often to make sure he is not getting pissed at me for talking to his wife and getting ready to rabbit punch me.
Good point.
I hadn't thought of that, but it's true.
If I'm talking to the female half of a couple, I will look at the male half often, partly to avoid macho idiocy.
If I'm talking to the male half, I'll look at the female half often because it's polite.

- Eric
Old August 26th, 2011, 10:28 AM
71 cutlass convertible

In my family my Aunt went to college to study horticulture. She was the first female to study hort in the early 50's. More than one professor asked her what could she do with a degree in hort. She is vice-president of the nursery. Now 1/3 of the landscapers that come in are female. It is dumb to think that women can't do anythingt they want.
My wife helps me with the car and gets greasy along with my son.
Larry
Old August 26th, 2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Good point.
I hadn't thought of that, but it's true.
If I'm talking to the female half of a couple, I will look at the male half often, partly to avoid macho idiocy.
If I'm talking to the male half, I'll look at the female half often because it's polite.

- Eric

Actually, having myself quoted shows how far I have to go. I should have used young and left attractive out. It does not matter how attractive she is, but younger guys are very protective of their gal sometimes. Middle aged not so much, older not at all!
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by Summerof84
Actually, having myself quoted shows how far I have to go. I should have used young and left attractive out. It does not matter how attractive she is, but younger guys are very protective of their gal sometimes. Middle aged not so much, older not at all!

All of this is very true lol. The older I get the less I care about who is talking to my wife at a car show/cruise-in as long as it's respectful. I know who she's coming home with. The younger guys tend to "puff up" when you start including their gal....especially if they are interested in what you're talking about. I am very good friends with a younger couple who are both into the hobby. I enjoy talking to her just as much as him, but I do make sure to include them both equally, so nobody feels left out.
Old August 26th, 2011, 01:37 PM

I have three children, two boys and a girl. Only the youngest child (19) shows an interest in my Olds, and wants to learn how to fix them. So, while Mom can't check the air in her tires, she has someone to go to if I'm not home. I have someone who can change oil, brakes etc. and very good mechanical instincts to help me if I need it. My younger son couldn't assemble a desk correctly, and didn't ask for help, but after getting lost in the problem, did get help from my youngest, the baby girl.