General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

New 1971 442 convertible 4 speed with air

Search this Thread

Old September 10th, 2015, 12:09 PM

Huntress, auction houses generally use descriptions suppled by sellers, so I wouldn't put too much credence on the "89" thing.

The acknowledged number for 4-speed cars is 183, so minus 32 for W-30 cars and you have 151 "regular" 4-4-2 ragtops with the 4-speed.

Regarding black/blue, it's not common but to my eyes it's not unusual - if you had a blue/black car, would that be equally as unusual?

What color stripes does it have?
Old September 10th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Diego
Huntress, auction houses generally use descriptions suppled by sellers, so I wouldn't put too much credence on the "89" thing.
I think most of the info Barrett Jackson puts out comes from a rectal extraction.
Old September 10th, 2015, 12:47 PM

I would be able to get pretty close on production numbers of a/c cars. 189ish 1971 convt 4 speeds. Figure 1/3 with ac and get 60 cars. Now a better option to me is the M-22 4 speed which mine does not have. It has posi though. Lee
Old September 11th, 2015, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
Welcome Huntress. Please post in the newbie section and tell us about your car. Don't forget to post some pics. I'm in Marble Falls, where are you?
Thanks for the welcome. Although I visit here often, I've been hesitant to speak up. I appreciate the kind welcome and will post in the newbie section and post some pics. I'm in Austin County, between Houston and Austin.
Old September 11th, 2015, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I think most of the info Barrett Jackson puts out comes from a rectal extraction.
You know, I knew when I posted that re Barrett Jackson
I would wish I hadn't.
Old September 11th, 2015, 09:56 AM

The acknowledged number for 4-speed cars is 183, so minus 32 for W-30 cars and you have 151 "regular" 4-4-2 ragtops with the 4-speed.

Regarding black/blue, it's not common but to my eyes it's not unusual - if you had a blue/black car, would that be equally as unusual?

What color stripes does it have?
True re auction houses. That's precisely why I'm doing some "research". Prob to no avail, but you never know. So what do you mean by "acknowledged number" being 183. Where is this from?

If I had a blue car with a black interior I don't believe it would be equally unusual. I might be wrong, but I'm guessing you can find some of those on this forum. I've yet to run across anyone with a black car and a blue interior from the factory or otherwise.. I get endless comments on how "unusual" the interior/exterior color combo is. I should have been wary of putting my car in a positive light here. I know how brutal y'all can be. Lesson.

White stripes.

Thanks for your input.
Old September 11th, 2015, 10:02 AM

I'm not going to hijack this thread. My apologies leepear for this. I should have paid better attention as my car is a hardtop anyway. Don't know the ins and outs of posting things here.....maybe I can delete my stuff.

Again, congrats on your beautiful car.
Old September 11th, 2015, 11:02 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Regardless, post some pictures of your car somewhere. It would be pretty interesting to see.
Old September 11th, 2015, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 442Huntress
True re auction houses. That's precisely why I'm doing some "research". Prob to no avail, but you never know. So what do you mean by "acknowledged number" being 183. Where is this from?
I'm just saying that's what's been floating around the Internet and books before it, but I don't recall seeing anything official from Olds. I know I have sources that don't agree with each other but, admittedly, I'm overthinking it.

If I had a blue car with a black interior I don't believe it would be equally unusual.
My point is that black matches everything, so whether blue/black or black/blue, it's not unusual. Rare? That's another story.

Of course, that's my POV. Others will have another POV, but many are the same folks who will claim that a Saffron Yellow Olds with a green interior doesn't match, when it does. Sometimes people forget what they were taught about the Color Wheel from elementary school.

Again, I'm overthinking it.

I should have been wary of putting my car in a positive light here. I know how brutal y'all can be. Lesson.
No one has said anything brutal here.

White stripes.
I was curious if it had blue stripes, hence the question. White, like black, matches everything.

Looking forward to photos!
Old September 13th, 2015, 10:56 PM

I'm just saying that's what's been floating around the Internet and books before it, but I don't recall seeing anything official from Olds. I know I have sources that don't agree with each other but, admittedly, I'm overthinking it.

My point is that black matches everything, so whether blue/black or black/blue, it's not unusual. Rare? That's another story.

Of course, that's my POV. Others will have another POV, but many are the same folks who will claim that a Saffron Yellow Olds with a green interior doesn't match, when it does. Sometimes people forget what they were taught about the Color Wheel from elementary school.

Again, I'm overthinking it.

No one has said anything brutal here.

I was curious if it had blue stripes, hence the question. White, like black, matches everything.

Looking forward to photos!
I see where you're coming from on the color thing. Yes, rare might have been a better descriptor.

I wish it did have blue stripes, but I'm not sure that the factory blues offered for '71 body paint would look that great, as the "dark blue" interior has such a green tint to it...like teal actually. Anyway, it was born with the white stripes.

No, not brutal really. lol I'm just wary because I do see it...especially being a woman in a predominantly "boys club".

Thanks for the kind response and the clarification.
Old September 13th, 2015, 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
Regardless, post some pictures of your car somewhere. It would be pretty interesting to see.
Thank you. I will do so. They will be "before" pics as she went to paint and body shop a week ago for a new top, rechromed bumpers, and full body paint. And a new Thornton OAI hood to replace the "flat" hood.
Old September 14th, 2015, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by 442Huntress
No, not brutal really. lol I'm just wary because I do see it...especially being a woman in a predominantly "boys club".
There's enough women in the hobby for it to not be a concern.

But there's still enough meatheads in the hobby to make it appear as a Boy's Club - don't let them push you around. Kill them with kindness by showing yourself to be smarter and kinder.
Old September 15th, 2015, 02:44 PM

There's enough women in the hobby for it to not be a concern.

But there's still enough meatheads in the hobby to make it appear as a Boy's Club - don't let them push you around. Kill them with kindness by showing yourself to be smarter and kinder.
I'll have to search out some of those women. All of the women I know IRL just tilt their heads and their eyes glaze over when I talk about my cars.

Meatheads a'plenty on some of the car forums.

Know I can do "nicer". Working on smarter when it comes to 442's. I'm not just a "driver" though. I'm very hands on and constantly researching and educating myself re 442's and American muscle. My passion...addiction.
Old September 20th, 2015, 12:02 PM

An update on the car. I have cleaned it up a bit and enjoyed going to the summer car shows. I will be selling the car soon. So don't be surprised to see it on ebay or other sites. I live in a place with no room for extra cars and don't want to sell my other 1971. I updated the pictures too above and here are a few more. Lee
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
car6.JPG (449.5 KB, 38 views)
car3.JPG (509.0 KB, 35 views)
car11.JPG (510.9 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by leepear; September 20th, 2015 at 12:10 PM.
Old September 21st, 2015, 06:41 AM

Love Love Love the color and look of your car. Reminds me of mine!
Attached Images
Old September 21st, 2015, 07:06 AM

They look like brothers. Back in the day I had a set of three w-30 convertible 4 speeds. 1970-71-72. You could buy this car but I am not sure this was a 1970 color to get a set of three. Lee
Old September 21st, 2015, 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by leepear
They look like brothers. Back in the day I had a set of three w-30 convertible 4 speeds. 1970-71-72. You could buy this car but I am not sure this was a 1970 color to get a set of three. Lee

maybe one day. That is a great idea though