General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Need a little help with modern climate control

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Need a little help with modern climate control

Ok guys so I was in the process of unclogging my neighbors heater core on their 2004 Montero sport and while I was trying to get the heater hoses off the plastic heater valve broke off. Well that was wed. Today I took the dash out and got the heater valve out. Now here is my issue. I cant find the part and I doubt the dealer stocks it. Now this is one of them huge hvac units. I was thinking of just deleting the plastic part and doing just a tube and no valve. My only question is If I eliminate this valve will the blower motor always pull hot air even with the ac or will the trap doors take care of that.At this point my hands are tied if I cannot find this part tomorrow morning I have no choice. Any thoughts on this ? Anyone here familiar with this make model ? Its about to get brutally cold again and this is her daily driver.
Old January 27th, 2014, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Ok guys so I was in the process of unclogging my neighbors heater core on their 2004 Montero sport and while I was trying to get the heater hoses off the plastic heater valve broke off. Well that was wed. Today I took the dash out and got the heater valve out. Now here is my issue. I cant find the part and I doubt the dealer stocks it. Now this is one of them huge hvac units. I was thinking of just deleting the plastic part and doing just a tube and no valve. My only question is If I eliminate this valve will the blower motor always pull hot air even with the ac or will the trap doors take care of that.At this point my hands are tied if I cannot find this part tomorrow morning I have no choice. Any thoughts on this ? Anyone here familiar with this make model ? Its about to get brutally cold again and this is her daily driver.
The system is expecting the valve to be there. The lack of a valve means hot water will always circulate in the core. If the original part is not available, I would try and find something close, even if you have to turn it off manually. The evaporator isn't sized to overcome hot outside air and a hot heater core.
Tim
Old January 27th, 2014, 09:14 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I did away with the valve and made sure the trap door was closed when the system was on ac. So atleast the heat is isolated. I told them if for some reason they got hot air in the summer I could add a valve under the hood. They didn't seem to be too worried .