General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Nee help in Ga.

Search this Thread

Old November 15th, 2010, 02:51 PM

Nee help in Ga.

hello all im back again finally got back from iraq car is finished but now the motor an tranny is starting to fail im currently down in hinesville ga an running into the same problem i had in elpaso no one wants to work on a olds engine but want to give me chevy engines to swap out so if any one is close to here an or knows of a good shop around give me a shout before i commit the ultimate sin an swap the whole engine an tranny out for chevy the motor is a 350 olds an th400 tranny thanks in advance
Old November 15th, 2010, 03:00 PM

Don't go there! Someone from your area will chime in and point you in the right direction.

Jamesbo, someone, anyone give this boy a hand will ya please. If you were here I could set you on the right path in just a few min. Hang in there
Old November 20th, 2010, 02:46 PM

i know this is a sin against the olds but i got a 350 chevy a 700r4 tranny just wondering will it fit i looked at the mounts an i have some extra holes i was wondering if these are prdrilled for chevys , an does any one know how much of a diffrence in the install this guy is telling me it will go right in no mods just bolt up an go is this true
Old November 20th, 2010, 03:19 PM

nitodog: Welcome home! Feel free to check out the following current on-going discussions...

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-all-olds.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ing-trend.html

Jaybird

Last edited by Jaybird; November 20th, 2010 at 03:23 PM.
Old November 20th, 2010, 03:30 PM

Ya must be down by Fort Stewart.

Keep the baby faith. or it it keep the faith baby

I can find ya some body in Hotlanta but let me dig round an see if'in there's someone in Savanah dat can save your soul from eternal damnation.
Old November 20th, 2010, 03:32 PM
Registered

Don't do it...just back away from the car slowly.
I doubt it will go in with no mods, that "guy" who told you that must get around because everybody that wants to commit the ultimate sacrilege of putting a Chebby engine into an Olds says the same thing?

You can get rebuilt Olds 350 crate engines. Locally through a parts store or rebuilder or online. I had mine done by a local production shop that does thousands of car and marine engines a year and most are sold to the national rebuilt engine retailers. No problems for three years and guaranteed, runs like a bear, 1200 bucks and they picked it up and brought it back. I wanted to keep it matching numbers or I would of just bought an engine from them off the shelf for a few hundred more.
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by nitodog
... but i got a 350 chevy a 700r4 tranny just wondering will it fit ...
Well, a Cutlass uses the same frame as a Chevelle...

Of course, everyone who wants to do this just because they have a Chevy engine laying around fails to fully consider the total cost of a changeover. There are a lot of little pieces that need to be changed.
Old November 21st, 2010, 05:49 AM

Why not just rebuild the engine and transmission that's in the car? That would be the easy way of doing it.
Old November 21st, 2010, 12:11 PM

i would love to rebuild but no one wants to take on the job for less than 3,000 motor an trans rebuild so im just tired of the run around this is my first olds i have had numerous impala an caprices an never had this many problems with trying to get a motor rebuilt im just tired a got alot invested in this car an for this amount of waiting on a rebuild my god, well here is the problem with the current setup there is a noise from the front of the tranny olny when you accelerate i put it up on jack stands an trace the noise to the front by the torque converter so one of those two is doing the noise but the tranny shifts fine 1-2 but third it struggles but after 45 mph it stops but vibrates pretty bad but no noise the motor runs but burns a lil oil an the the dummy light flash when you stop but you can drive it all day long an it will run i have never torn a engine down an would love to do it but due to time an army training its not possiable to do so thats why the chebby came into play so with those 2 issues is why im not really driving the car on the regular but im still waiting on that magic person to come along an say hey i got 1 or i can help you fix this issue but i will keep you all posted on whats going to happen to it
Old November 26th, 2010, 09:54 AM

hello all im back an have good news im going to keep the olds power plant an rebuild it but trying to track down a rebuild kit for a good price just a stock rebuild thats it so if anyone can help i would be thankful
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:37 AM

great news i got a built OLDS 455 for it thats right a olds 455 so you guys dont have to cast me into the pit of dispare im so happy with this motor it has the edelbrock intake mild cam 750 holley carb the trans is a th350 that pulls really well now all i have to do is slap here in an enjoy so thanks for all the support i keep it olds. will the 350 mounts hold the 455 or do i need so diffrent ones
Old February 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM

The 350 mounts will work,just be sure to the set(frame and engine mounts) from the 350. I swaped a 350 to a 455 in my '69 and evetything bolted up and worked well. Alt,PS etc..
Old February 23rd, 2011, 02:20 PM

Two things I thought of:

1-Don't use the 350 ex. manifolds on the 455. They will bolt up but would be restrictive.

2-Check that the water pump length is the same from the 350 to the 455. This could throw off belt alignment.
Old February 23rd, 2011, 05:34 PM
Registered Loser

[quote=nitodog;255810]great news i got a built OLDS 455 for it thats right a olds 455 so you guys dont have to cast me into the pit of dispare im so happy with this motor

Fear not: ye not be cast into thy pit of despair. You will love the 455; great score there man. Thanks for your service by the way.
Old February 24th, 2011, 02:30 AM

I will be putting it in today the tranny looks like its shorter than th400 but I hope all goes well cause I have been through alot with this car an have nt gave up on it yet lol
Old February 24th, 2011, 03:43 PM

You mentioned that it pulls really well so if you need a longer drive shaft maybe you can get it from the donor car. Hopefully this is the last piece you need to finish it.

The 455 has a taller deck height so stock notched valve covers may be needed to clear brake booster.
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:26 PM

Just put the turbo 400 from the Olds 350 behind the 455 and the drive shaft should fit fine
Old February 24th, 2011, 04:49 PM

yeah with the th350 i would need a longer drive shaft the donor car was a buit ck regal an it was short so thats why i did nt take it im not sure what to do the th 400 was traded off so i think im going out to the salvage yard to look at few truck drive shafts to see what i can locate cause i dont know where to find a longer one or buy one at but i will figure something out lol
Old February 25th, 2011, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by Don L/442
The 455 has a taller deck height so stock notched valve covers may be needed to clear brake booster.

nitodog,

If ya need some give me a shout. I've got some extras laying around in my sock drawer.
Old February 25th, 2011, 06:07 PM

Thumbs up

WAY to go NitoDog! WELCOME BACK FROM IRAQ! "Hooah!" GREAT place to be FROM~! Thanks for your Service!
Originally Posted by nitodog
yeah with the th350 i would need a longer drive shaft the donor car was a buit ck regal an it was short so thats why i did nt take it im not sure what to do the th 400 was traded off so i think im going out to the salvage yard to look at few truck drive shafts to see what i can locate cause i dont know where to find a longer one or buy one at but i will figure something out lol