General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

My lucky day!

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2011, 12:44 PM

My lucky day!

I posted this on ROP too. Today was my lucky day!!!!

:shock: To make a long story short, i gave a guy what he was asking for a matching set of D heads. $200 I just got home and took my wire wheel to them to confirm they havnt been messed with.

D heads 400 370 132 date code on both heads.

He bought a 73 cutlass in the 80s, then his buddy sold him a 69 jetboat motor (what he said) He had it rebuilt and put a few K miles on it. Then kids and work took over. All he had left was the D heads and a Offy 360 intake and holley carb. He was a really nice guy. He knew they were worth more, but i dont think he knew how much :lol: He said he knew he could sell them at a swapmeet for $800-1000, but didnt want to go through the hassle. :lol:

[IMG=http://img543.imageshack.us/img543/2051/1000309f.jpg][/IMG]

Old July 16th, 2011, 12:56 PM

I'd go buy a lottery ticket, I think you would win. Nice score.
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:17 PM

Way Cool! Congrats on finding treasure at such a good price.

If you decide to sell them please let me know. I'm not sure I could swing what there worth, but maybe parts in trade plus cash? John
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:21 PM

Thanks Guys! Its just cool to have a set that are mine. Even though i wont use them. LOL

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Way Cool! Congrats on finding treasure at such a good price.

If you decide to sell them please let me know. I'm not sure I could swing what there worth, but maybe parts in trade plus cash? John

Hey John

They will be for sale or trade. I have no use for them. I was hoping someone who needed the casting number would pop up and we could try to make a deal. All i know is i wanna turn this into something cool! Maybe buy something with the cash, buy something else to fix and sell, or maybe trade them for another Oldsmobile HMMMMMMMM That would be cool
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:29 PM

I've got a 1969 W30 that's missing the correct drivetrain. I know It will never be original again, but I'd like to make it as close as possible. I talked with the owner from the early 1980's and he said the block cracked in the winter due to lack of antifreeze. Then he gave the heads to a buddy, and dropped in a newer engine . When the TH400 went out in the late 1980's he used it as a core for a rebuilt transmission . So that's where I'm at. I wish we were closer as I've got all kinds of trade stock... from parts to a project car. Shipping will add to the costs though. I'll send you a PM with my email address and phone number. If you want to brainstorm on what might work I'm open to the idea!

John
Old July 16th, 2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
I've got a 1969 W30 that's missing the correct drivetrain. I know It will never be original again, but I'd like to make it as close as possible. I talked with the owner from the early 1980's and he said the block cracked in the winter due to lack of antifreeze. Then he gave the heads to a buddy, and dropped in a newer engine . When the TH400 went out in the late 1980's he used it as a core for a rebuilt transmission . So that's where I'm at. I wish we were closer as I've got all kinds of trade stock... from parts to a project car. Shipping will add to the costs though. I'll send you a PM with my email address and phone number. If you want to brainstorm on what might work I'm open to the idea!

John

Hey John

Yeah i see you have an W-30 in your sig. That sucks when people do stuff like that. Man they just dont take care of stuff. Im willing to talk. Cash is great!!! But im always open to trades. Especially on something like this.
Old July 17th, 2011, 04:40 AM
One part at a time

So an Olds guy gave you a great deal on a set of D heads and now your plan is to max out by selling them to another Olds guy at the highest possible price?

Classy!

Why don't you tack on a hundred or so and let them go. Why screw members of your hobby? Remember what goes around comes around. I guess we all need to remember to mark up anything we ever sell to you as high as possible.

Congrats on the find but whatever...
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:08 AM

Originally Posted by 67 442
So an Olds guy gave you a great deal on a set of D heads and now your plan is to max out by selling them to another Olds guy at the highest possible price?

Classy!

Why don't you tack on a hundred or so and let them go. Why screw members of your hobby? Remember what goes around comes around. I guess we all need to remember to mark up anything we ever sell to you as high as possible.

I knew people would get upset because of the deal i got. I guess its just human nature to be jelous.

But to respond to your post. Ill cut the story down alittle to save me some time.

I needed a BB Olds intake. I looked on craigslist and found a guy selling a Offy intake and carb for $130 and he had a set of heads for $275. I needed an intake so i didnt even ask about the heads. He didnt know exactly what offy it was and after getting the part number from him i found it was a single plane and called him back to tell him it wouldnt work for me and i gave him the info to switch his listing and also gave him some advice on how to sell it. We B.S. for a few more min, then he starts pushing the heads on me. We talked about them for a while, i did not hustle him at all when he said he had Ds. We talked about how rare they are and what cars they came on. (he seems to think they came on jet boats too) He told me he knew he could go to a swap meet and sell them for at least $800-1000. But if i come pick them up today i can have them for $200. What the hell would you do???????

If i was trying to just squeese every penny out of them they would be on ebay right now with a buy it now $5500 with a OBO option. I wanna do something cool with them. Make everyone happy in the deal. Thats why i thought of trades. Maybe i could get another olds project out of it, or some parts for my Hotrod. Maybe a set of Ebocks and some cash Hint hint (scott) Give someone a deal in the procces. Im not dumb and i know what they are worth.

I just sold my 64 about a month ago. I gave a real good deal to an Olds guy. Dont get me wrong i knew he was a dealer. But he B.Sed me and alot, and of talk about what he thinks the car is worth. I sold him stuff before and we were cool. He came to get the car, bairly looked at it, didnt test drive it. Then a few days later i see the car listed on his website for over double what he payed for it. Now if he would have just given me what i was asking and not talked me down a bunch i wouldnt have cared. But its the fact that he told me he felt my car was worth only so much then listing it for over double what he payed. Thats what pissed me off.
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:14 AM

Classy!

who said anything close to screwing a fellow Olds guy here? when you pay $200 for a set of D heads you can make a pile of cash at the same time give the guy buying them a good deal compared to what i see them sell for. if you found a 70 W-30 with low miles for $200 would you just tack on $100 and sell it to me. i don't think so.

nice find Josh!
Old July 17th, 2011, 05:17 AM

Classy!

Oh and alittle info for you. I have been laid off for over 2 years. I have a girlfriend, 2 kids, and 2 dogs. I make my money, buying, selling, fixing, and building. In reality i should just go post them up on ebay and get every penny i can to support my family. But im not. Im looking to try and make a deal with someone who needs them. Im not trying to get every dime i can. Just a fair ammount let it be in trade or cash. Something to make everyone happy. Thats why i posted it up on the forums and told the story. No B.S. here. They will most likely end up going to my friend locally. He has already made a resonable offer already.
Old July 17th, 2011, 09:33 PM

Don't sweat it Josh. Nowhere in your o.p. did I read anything about you running up the price to the max. blah, blah, blah. Great score, and best of luck in TCoB.
Old July 18th, 2011, 07:22 AM

Thanks Mike and Eric

Well i asked around and got the name of a good shop to take the heads to to get them cleaned, magnafluxed, and pressure tested. (Thanks jeremy/Milan) Im gonna drop them off this week and ill have them back before the weekend. Im gonna give my buddy first dibbs, if he doesnt take them ill have them for sale this weekend.
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:24 AM

Sounds like a good choice I have read alot of his stuff on ROP and seems
to be a very high end olds guy, not just a tool and die guy.
Old July 18th, 2011, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by f-85
Oh and alittle info for you. I have been laid off for over 2 years. I have a girlfriend, 2 kids, and 2 dogs. I make my money, buying, selling, fixing, and building. In reality i should just go post them up on ebay and get every penny i can to support my family. But im not. Im looking to try and make a deal with someone who needs them. Im not trying to get every dime i can. Just a fair ammount let it be in trade or cash. Something to make everyone happy. Thats why i posted it up on the forums and told the story. No B.S. here. They will most likely end up going to my friend locally. He has already made a resonable offer already.

You take care of yourself first and sell them for market value. This is the way I look @ selling a part,car or ????. What if the part was given to you,do you give it away? don't think so. If somebody has a problem with price or spending $$$$ on a car,they need to find another hobby.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by 66-3X2 442
You take care of yourself first and sell them for market value. This is the way I look @ selling a part,car or ????. What if the part was given to you,do you give it away? don't think so. If somebody has a problem with price or spending $$$$ on a car,they need to find another hobby.

Thanks man. Im just gonna shoot for a fair price. Something that will make both sides happy.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 04:38 AM

Ok im taking the heads up To Gregs Performance today. He is gonna go through the heads have them cleaned and checked out. I might just have them all setup by Greg that way they will be ready to run. I figured i might as well take them to an Olds guy to get the work done.
Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:05 AM

I looked on craigslist and found a guy selling a Offy intake and carb for $130 and he had a set of heads for $275.

Wow I saw that, I thought 130 for the intake and carb was cheap no matter what its application but since I wasn't in the market for an Offy or a carb I didn't even go past a first look. I figured the heads would be something odd as well but not D-Heads!!!!

Nice score
Old July 22nd, 2011, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by stevengerard
Wow I saw that, I thought 130 for the intake and carb was cheap no matter what its application but since I wasn't in the market for an Offy or a carb I didn't even go past a first look. I figured the heads would be something odd as well but not D-Heads!!!!

Nice score

Hey Steven

It was on craigslist a few times. I emailed the guy about the heads over a month ago. he emailed me back and said they were Ds. I asked for pics but he never replied. So this time i forgot all about the heads and was just talking about the Intake. LOL Im sure glad i gave that courtesy call to say that i coudnt use it and i wasnt coming. Because thats when we started talking about the heads.

Thanks!
Old July 22nd, 2011, 06:58 AM

Im just gonna shoot for a fair price. Something that will make both sides happy.
That's what hot rodding is all about! Nothing wrong with selling or trading something you come across to finance your build. I wish I was better at that!