General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Lucky Day

Search this Thread

Old April 27th, 2013, 06:19 PM

Lucky Day

middle kid's car dripping green AND red juice, better see what's up

almost impossible to pry the video game controller out of his hands, but the weather was beautiful, and after a recreational boneyard visit, we got started on the car.

Struggle to get the plastic cover off the bottom, because of them damn J nuts that NO ONE, EVER, EVER puts grease on. Breaks the plastic instead.

Huhm, clean spot on the trans filter- like an engine oil filter- spin on... Spray with brake clean, go to the store, get filter. Area dry now. Start engine, withing 2 seconds, there is ATF on the filter, it's leaking via a RUST HOLE in the filter itself. YAY, easy fix.

Look at the radiator, it's leaking from 4" up, in the fins area, will need another radiator. Luckily at the other boneyard Friday I spotted an identical-ish car with all pretty parts, and a radiator. They said radiator is $35.

Got the radiator out, ready for re-assembly tomorrow, I hope.

Anyone have these remote access springy ring hose clamp pliers?

OTC 4525 Cable-Type Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers : Amazon.com : Automotive OTC 4525 Cable-Type Flexible Hose Clamp Pliers : Amazon.com : Automotive
Old April 27th, 2013, 06:42 PM
Justin

I do I love them !!! gm guys best friend lol sears ( craftsman ) has them. I think only five bucks more and you don't have to wait or pay shipping
Old April 27th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Administrator

I've never seen a set like that, must be a late model car thing.
Old April 28th, 2013, 06:27 AM

I have 'em and love 'em. Did a radiator replacement on a ford subcompact and those pliers were the only way to get in to the radiator hose clamps. Since then, I've used them on some close-to-the-block coolant hoses on an eclipse.

The ratcheting lock is nice, as you can squeeze the clamp and then use both hands to position it - the pliers hold it open until you release the thumb lock.
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:47 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Could you post a photo of one of these in action - I have never seen one before.
Old April 28th, 2013, 07:22 PM

Watch for product review

Amazon units may work

AUTO ZONE POS DOES NOT

more detail later, too late tonight.

Radiator at boneyard which looked great had epoxy repair on close inspection, and that was broken. 2nd one looked OK, save for the grungy trans cooler rusty fitting. Buy it, take to truck, to find the mounting and fitment is JUST A LITTLE DIFFERENT. Back in. Misting rain as soon as we left the house of course. Auto parts stores cannot get one until Monday.

Finally find an exact match radiator, with great upper hose, and new air filter too boot- a $15 item at the store. Save a few $.

PS when did ATF become $4+ a quart for the very cheapest stuff iff you buy a gallon at a time?!?!

After that it went real smoothly, no leaks, no drips, no errors. Driveable again before dark!

Returned the useless Taiwan remote clamp pliers for money back.
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by pcard
Could you post a photo of one of these in action - I have never seen one before.
Hey, pcard, sorry for the slow response - I finally remembered today.

Pic of the pliers and a hose clamp:
IMG_1883_zps9eea23b3.jpg

Closeup of the clamp and business end:
IMG_1884_zps1d3d056c.jpg

Pic of the pliers holding the clamp (note the thumb lever to release the ratchet):
IMG_1885_zps77e10629.jpg

Closeup of the business end holding the clamp:
IMG_1886_zpsee250eca.jpg
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:07 AM
70 Cutlass SX

Thanks Mike - they are on my toy list!
Old May 1st, 2013, 10:44 AM
Administrator

I've got and old pair of plain ol Lilly pliers for that. I always toss that style clamp and replace with a worm gear style.
Old May 1st, 2013, 03:22 PM

I have had the Sears version for 3-4 years now & they sometimes are the only thing that will get the clamp off/back on due to space considerations.
Old May 1st, 2013, 05:07 PM
Old School Olds

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
i've got and old pair of plain ol lilly pliers for that. I always toss that style clamp and replace with a worm gear style.
+1
Old May 2nd, 2013, 04:30 AM

I could have used those when I changed my Son's heater core in a 92 Camaro. The bottom hose had the release facing down, of course. I still have a set of pliers with 18" "handle extenders" welded on. Thanks for posting this info. Ken
Old May 21st, 2013, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by tru-blue 442
+1
The constant tension clamps have the great advantage of not ever leaking no matter how much heat cycling and hose change takes place.

Their one drawback is the PITA to install, which applies to any clamp.

The AutoZone POS tool has ALMOST the same design, but they made the slidey part too narrow. Like a rod and divider bookend. Learned that in some Engineering Class. There is a certain size ratio that determines if the slidey mechanism is naturally locking, like the book stand, or naturally sliding, like any linear actuator SHOULD be.