General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

To my friends at CO from Lee Pearl

Search this Thread

Old June 26th, 2013, 06:23 AM

To my friends at CO from Lee Pearl

We all know a car is just a car. Some are part of a limited production group that may make them a little more desirable to collectors. Some represent a period of time like the muscle car era of the 1970's. Some have a story or owner history, but most don't.

A very special car is now in the hands of two great collectors. It is where it needs to be in a place where it will continue to be shared with others into the future. I did not have the means to do that and realized that I had completed my time with our special car. I was lucky to find it 30+ years ago and I was able to save it from the gas crisis of the 1980s. Many of our cars were lost during that period.

Exceptional cars usually find themselves in the hands of collectors of novelties or concept cars, not in the garages of average Joes. This was an exceptional car of a different kind: a great made-to-order car from a great year, with options to make it even rarer, like a w-27 rear end, and most importantly a great story.

In my time as owner, I saw it restored from to original as much as was humanly possible, and then showed it where and when I could, all over the country. The original owners Rug Kasley, then George and Betty Steele -all deceased- would be proud that this car has touched so many lives. Our collective contributions turned this car into a tribute to the Oldsmobile Marquee's legacy.

The auction was the best possible way to end our ownership. As if on cue, my family piled into the car after it left the auction block, and took a drive to the melancholy winner's circle where the "Sold!" cars were left for their new owners. When the attendant asked "Will you be needing the keys anymore?" the question had more power than he could have intended! We took a last look at the car and said goodbye to a member of our family that we all had known for over 30 years.

The car will now live among the best of the best muscle cars in the world. Although we don't get to know the brothers who own the collection, they share their cars with he world, both in magazines, and by sending them to car shows such as the Muscle Car Nationals.

A final note, I got a voice mail from my friend Stefano. His message said “mission accomplished”. That could not be more true. I am keeping my 1971 442 so all of my friends will still have me around. Thanks all for your support and friendship. Lee Pearl

Last edited by leepear; June 26th, 2013 at 07:54 AM.
Old June 26th, 2013, 07:20 AM
Administrator

Well done Lee!
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:12 AM
70' W-30 Convertible

Congrats Lee!
Old June 26th, 2013, 09:56 AM

Congrats.
Old June 26th, 2013, 10:56 AM
Old School Olds

Thumbs up Lee, you the man.

A fitting tribute to one of
the finest Oldsmobiles built.

My thanks to you sir for having
the vision to see what could and has
happened. Job VERY well done.
Old June 26th, 2013, 11:47 AM

Nice job and well said Lee!!!!

STeve
Old June 26th, 2013, 01:45 PM

So is that the inline boy's ?
Old June 26th, 2013, 02:00 PM

Lee, good luck with any future endeavors and please stay in touch here, my friend. I applaud you for your tenure of ownership and for bringing to us what is the finest performance oriented vehicle Oldsmobile offered to the public. I think I speak for a good many here when I say "Thank You".
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:19 PM
"Car"mudgeon

It was a long, long run and although a good run, it ended bittersweet. I don't think I could ever part with mine but that is because it was passed down to me from my Grandfather that ordered it new. Congrats on the sell, hopefully it commanded top dollar as I realize the level of restoration this car saw.
Old June 26th, 2013, 03:20 PM

Leaves me wondering what this car is.
And, who procured it, to a lesser extent.
Old June 26th, 2013, 04:07 PM

Octavia, Lee's car was (is) a 1970 W-30 Convertible, 4-speed, with W-27 (aluminum axle carrier and cover). The car carries with it a GREAT history and is quite possibly and most likely the only one built that has bullit-proof documentation. It had recently received a show quality restoration that left no detail overlooked and was performed by Level One. The car is now housed in a private collection that shall remain anonymous. I am certainly not speaking for Lee, just trying to answer a question posed by a fellow member.