General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Most Interesting Swap Meet Finds ?

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2014, 07:42 PM

Most Interesting Swap Meet Finds ?

Anybody find anything really interesting at an auto swap meet? I've only bought one thing in the last twenty years. A fellow had house radios for sale and I gave him the $15 he wanted for this old tube Westinghouse a couple years back. I'm guessing it might predate the sixties. Works perfectly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Radio.jpg (47.2 KB, 63 views)
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:08 PM
morgan

Originally Posted by HonestDave
Anybody find anything really interesting at an auto swap meet? I've only bought one thing in the last twenty years. A fellow had house radios for sale and I gave him the $15 he wanted for this old tube Westinghouse a couple years back. I'm guessing it might predate the sixties. Works perfectly.

I guess thats pretty nice but i think you paid too much
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
Sometimes I toss money around like confetti in the wind. Have to when you play with old cars !!
Old May 26th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Senior Moment Member

Like the radio. Very retro.
Old May 26th, 2014, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by pogo69
Got any old radios kicking around you wanna sell?

It's surprising what some of them can fetch in the right place.
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:52 AM
Oldsdruid

$15 is not bad for that radio in that condition. Looks late-50s by the design, colors and script. You can tell it's post-1951 by the ConelRad indicators. I'm not as familiar with Westinghouse as I am with Philco, RCA and Zenith, but you should be able to narrow down the year by either model or serial number.

Any working tube radio in nice cosmetic condition that you can get for under $25 is a good buy.

I've also found neat old electronic test equipment at swap meets. Got an RCA Ohmyst multi-meter a couple years back at a Carlisle show.
Old May 27th, 2014, 09:09 AM

I got a classic intellivision home video game from the early 80s. It came with a bunch of games. Took a chance on it for $10 and it worked perfectly. Not as old that radio but I remember as a kid wanting one of those badly. Also got some old movie posters from the late 60s and 70s when I bought a box full old car mags. Guess the guy didn't know they were in there.
Old May 27th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Randy C.

My best swap meet buy? A formula steering wheel for a 1970 GTO, first year that option was offered, at a Pleasanton swap meet, with the ultra-rare horn button and everything, for $10! This was back in the mid-80s. At that time, a decent Formula wheel cost $200-$300 in decent shape. I found the steering wheel in a box with a bunch of other steering wheels. When I got the vendor's attention, I asked him, "How much for your steering wheels?" He asked, "Which one?" I guessed he knew what he had but I held up the Formula wheel and said, "This one". He said, "I haven't sold a steering wheel all day. How 'bout $12?" I couldn't get my wallet out of my pants fast enough but, in the process, I asked, "How 'bout $10?" He took $10!

Now, God knows I've overspent on tons and tons of parts for my Oldsmobiles, Pontiac and Corvette; way more than what they were worth, but I NEEDED them. However, all of that extra money I spent on other parts for those cars is all made up in that one steering wheel purchase! That was truly the best purchase I've made at any swap meet in all the years I've been going to those events!

Randy C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
GTO70interior.jpg (46.3 KB, 42 views)
Old May 27th, 2014, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by rcorrigan5
My best swap meet buy? A formula steering wheel for a 1970 GTO, first year that option was offered, at a Pleasanton swap meet, with the ultra-rare horn button and everything, for $10! This was back in the mid-80s. At that time, a decent Formula wheel cost $200-$300 in decent shape. I found the steering wheel in a box with a bunch of other steering wheels. When I got the vendor's attention, I asked him, "How much for your steering wheels?" He asked, "Which one?" I guessed he knew what he had but I held up the Formula wheel and said, "This one". He said, "I haven't sold a steering wheel all day. How 'bout $12?" I couldn't get my wallet out of my pants fast enough but, in the process, I asked, "How 'bout $10?" He took $10!

Randy C.
Wow, I love that story Randy !
Especially touching since I had a 70 GTO convert from the early eighties until the late nineties. It didn't have a nice steering wheel like THAT though .
Right on !!
Old May 27th, 2014, 09:02 PM

Back in the early 90's I went to a swap meet where a guy who owned a muffler shop in Arlington loaded up his trailer with all the "junk" laying around his place, and parked it in his spot with a "$1.00 a piece for anything in this trailer" sign on it. I looked down into it, and sitting on the bottom under some pipes were a 402294 and 402295 pair in really good shape, virtually pit free. I go to pay, the guy says "do those go together?" I said yes and thought here it comes - and the guy says, since they are pair, you can have both for $1.00.
Old May 28th, 2014, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
sitting on the bottom under some pipes were a 402294 and 402295 pair in really good shape.
What are those, 442 exhaust manifolds?
Old May 28th, 2014, 12:57 PM

Hey Honest Dave -----

Gotta say -- if you've only bought 1 thing at a swap meet in going to swap meets for 20 - 25 years -- you must have spent well over $5000 for that radio -- when you consider all the gas, maybe tolls, possibly parking, and gate admittance at the various shows that you've gone to for the last 20 - 25 years...............

Just commenting --- because we notice that the new wave of "people" at the car shows -- and that even includes Carlisle and HERSHEY -- is "ZOMBIES" walking down the middle of the aisle -- not even looking left or right -- and there are certainly NO deals in the middle of the aisle.....

Just commenting ---- don't forget to look left or right --- you might find something that won't cost you $ 5000.........
Old May 28th, 2014, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by mobileparts
Gotta say -- if you've only bought 1 thing at a swap meet in going to swap meets for 20 - 25 years -- you must have spent well over $5000 for that radio -- when you consider all the gas, maybe tolls, possibly parking, and gate admittance at the various shows that you've gone to for the last 20 - 25 years...............

Just commenting --- because we notice that the new wave of "people" at the car shows -- and that even includes Carlisle and HERSHEY -- is "ZOMBIES" walking down the middle of the aisle -- not even looking left or right -- and there are certainly NO deals in the middle of the aisle.....

Just commenting ---- don't forget to look left or right --- you might find something that won't cost you $ 5000.........
To be honest with you, I've only been to a few swap meets in my life. I went to one in San Diego in the late eighties and bought a $3 impact set, which I finally used to get the door screws off a 61 Impala about two years ago. Other than that, I did buy drinks and treats at the others, usually. Don't have time for swap meets. Too busy with kids. That's one reason for this thread. I'm curious what people are finding out there.
Back to you....
Old May 28th, 2014, 04:16 PM

Car shows, gun shows there is always a bargain there somewhere in that mess. It really helps if you know what you are looking at, other wise it just someone elses rusty junk.

Awhile back I picked up two glass washer jugs one complete with pump and the other with a nice galvanized lid... Paid three bucks each. I was a happy camper...Tedd
Old May 28th, 2014, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by HonestDave
What are those, 442 exhaust manifolds?
Yes, they are the 70-72 455 A body manifolds. My story took place back before they were reproduced.
Old May 29th, 2014, 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by costpenn
Yes, they are the 70-72 455 A body manifolds. My story took place back before they were reproduced.
I didn't know they were reproduced. I wonder if they reproduce ones for my 65 avatar.
If I end up keeping the car, I'd really love to deep six the headers one day.
Old May 29th, 2014, 04:38 AM
Old School Olds

Dave check with Thorton Reproductions.
They have even started making true dual exhaust
manifolds for the small blocks based on the W-Z design.