General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Miracle in a bottle

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2013, 07:54 AM

Miracle in a bottle

Hey Shanghaismith .................................................. .....what was the name of that stuff you poured into the crankcase and it helped piston cylinder sealing?
Is it any good?
Is it a short time thing or are the results permanent?
Thanks
joepenoso
I've got a 200,000 mile stock bore 455, with fresh heads, cam and a little blow by at idle. It uses a litre of oil every 1,000 miles and was wondering if it would be a good recipient of that miracle in a bottle thing that reduces blow by raises compression yadda yadda yadda
Thanks
joepenoso

Anybody else with experience with that stuff??
Old November 29th, 2013, 08:05 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I think Restore is probably one of the better products out there but in my opinion nothing is going to help a lot.
Old November 29th, 2013, 11:38 AM

Also try AutoRX. My friend uses it in all of his bikes and reports good results like clearing ring packs and evening out compression. I havent used it yet but seems to work on 30yr old motorcycles that have been sitting neglected.
Old November 30th, 2013, 08:11 PM

In the past I have used ATF (Dexron II or III) to reseat rings. Put the ATF in a squirt bottle and while the engine is running, rev it while squirting the ATF down the carb. It will smoke like a freight train but it will work. CAUTION! This process causes excessive engine wear in order to reseat the rings so it should only be used as a last resort to rebuilding.
Old December 1st, 2013, 07:35 AM
Administrator

There are no miracles in a bottle. Sometimes these little chemical concoctions will give possibly a short term boost, but if the engine needs a rebuild you cannot postpone the inevitable.
Old December 1st, 2013, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by cjsdad
CAUTION! This process causes excessive engine wear in order to reseat the rings so it should only be used as a last resort to rebuilding.
Ah.... bullshed
oil does not cause wear
if ATF caused wear how long do you think the gear pump in the trans would last- and all the other trans parts.

I have run oil, water, radiator sealer, etc. thru running engines. Water may de-carbon, but no way to prove or disprove that. Oil makes a good smoke cloud for a minute.

Now, I have dismantled grunge filled engines to find the piston oil return holes totally clogged with carbon. How can the oil rings do their job if the oil they scrape off has nowhere to go? In that event, I can see perhaps Sea Foam and/or ATF/ Rislone/ Kerosene oil treatments and/or ingestion via the air intake possibly dissolving these deposits and allowing them to be removed via the oil filter. However, there may be HUGE amounts of carbon chunks in there, under the intake, so it may break loose more than you really wanted to.
Old December 1st, 2013, 11:57 AM
I bleed Oldsmobile

I thought Nitrous was a miracle in a bottle?
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:21 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by BIGJERR
BIGJERR:

That is a great response. So true. I love it.
Old December 1st, 2013, 01:39 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Octania
Ah.... bullshed...
Thanks, man, you saved me five minutes of typing.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
There are no miracles in a bottle.
Tut tut now...

I've been waiting to try this on shopping cart dings for a few years now:

- Eric
Old December 1st, 2013, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by Octania
Ah.... bullshed
oil does not cause wear
if ATF caused wear how long do you think the gear pump in the trans would last- and all the other trans parts.

I have run oil, water, radiator sealer, etc. thru running engines. Water may de-carbon, but no way to prove or disprove that. Oil makes a good smoke cloud for a minute.

Now, I have dismantled grunge filled engines to find the piston oil return holes totally clogged with carbon. How can the oil rings do their job if the oil they scrape off has nowhere to go? In that event, I can see perhaps Sea Foam and/or ATF/ Rislone/ Kerosene oil treatments and/or ingestion via the air intake possibly dissolving these deposits and allowing them to be removed via the oil filter. However, there may be HUGE amounts of carbon chunks in there, under the intake, so it may break loose more than you really wanted to.
Ever take an engine apart that has been running ATF in the crankcase for a while? ATF is used as a lubricant AND a friction enhancer. I worked as a fleet mechanic for Mike Yurosek & Son (Bunny Luv Carrots) where we had a new field pickup that was driven until it had zero compression. At that point it had 30K miles on it. We towed it back to the shop and did the ATF trick on it. We poured ATF through that thing while cranking it long enough to get it to start, then continued for almost an hour. The smoke cloud looked like a house fire. We ran it with a quart of ATF in it for several more oil changes just for good measure. The rings seated well enough that the engine ran another 130K miles. When we took the engine apart the compression ring looked like a railroad rail and the cylinders were bell-shaped because there was so much wear. It works, but like I said, it should only be used as a last resort.
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:13 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If ATF is so abrasive, how come it is used by so many companies as the lubricant in their manual transmissions?

- Eric
Old December 1st, 2013, 03:25 PM

i have one..saw it work first handed, but only for a month fix...but, it will take a smoking enging and it will stop is from getting oil pass the rings, and will run smoother etc...but it ruins the rings..eventually and fills the ring land with some kind of crystal looking stuff..and thats what makes the rings go away..the constant heat cool cycles

Bon Ami..its like comet..it has a bunch of grit...ya pour it down the carb as it runs...it doesnt do what ya think..it doesnt ruff the cylinders, it melts and fills the scratces on the cylinders, and lightly scuffs off the glaze on the cylinders they get from oil slipping by the rings..

its an old used car salesman trick and its basically to get it off the lot and off the lot til the 30 day mark..

works, works well, but its fricken ruff on the rest of the motor..can get in the oil, and you know what sand does in an oil system

im not an engineer or chemist so i dont know what it really does..but when ya pull it aparts..it looks like its grown brown/black salt looking goo and deposites...

call me stupid, but i have seen it work 4 times...
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:00 PM

Hmmm - interesting stuff.
Only "miracle in a bottle" I know of for fact is Jack Daniels...
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:18 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Only miracle Jack ever caused for me was the creation of a headache right before my eyes.

I prefer Wild Turkey or Maker's Mark, and have recently opened a very acceptable bottle of Bulleit.

- Eric
Old December 1st, 2013, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BIGJERR

Your right, I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
Hmmm - interesting stuff.
Only "miracle in a bottle" I know of for fact is Jack Daniels...

Southern Comfort is the cure to all ailments.
Old December 1st, 2013, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
If ATF is so abrasive, how come it is used by so many companies as the lubricant in their manual transmissions?

- Eric
Really makes those synchro-mesh rings work exceptionally well in those manual transmissions don't it!

If it were only a lubricant how in the world do the clutches in an automatic transmission ever grip at all?

It is an oil but designed for a completely different application. It is very popular to add ATF once in a while to clean the engine and cure a sticking lifter. Engine oil is designed to capture contaminants and hold them in suspension so they are removed when the oil is changed. ATF does not do that because it is designed to last many thousands of miles more between changes.

Can't tell you why it re-seals rings, but it does. At a seemingly high cost of engine wear. YMMV!
Modern ATF typically contains a wide variety of chemical compounds intended to provide the required properties of a particular ATF specification. Most ATFs contain some combination of additives that improve lubricating qualities,[1][2][3] such as anti-wear additives, rust and corrosion inhibitors, detergents, dispersants and surfactants (which protect and clean metal surfaces); kinematic viscosity and viscosity index improvers and modifiers, seal swell additives and agents (which extend the rotational speed range and temperature range of the additives' application); anti-foam additives and anti-oxidation compounds to inhibit oxidation and "boil-off"[4] (which extends the life of the additives' application); cold-flow improvers, high-temperature thickeners, gasket conditioners, pour point depressant and petroleum dye. All ATFs contain friction modifiers
Old December 3rd, 2013, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic

- Eric

EXACTLY
It runs in a trans - case closed

"Ever take an engine apart that has been running ATF in the crankcase for a while? ATF is used as a lubricant AND a friction enhancer. I worked as a fleet mechanic for Mike Yurosek & Son (Bunny Luv Carrots) where we had a new field pickup that was driven until it had zero compression. At that point it had 30K miles on it. We towed it back to the shop and did the ATF trick on it. We poured ATF through that thing while cranking it long enough to get it to start, then continued for almost an hour. The smoke cloud looked like a house fire. We ran it with a quart of ATF in it for several more oil changes just for good measure. The rings seated well enough that the engine ran another 130K miles. When we took the engine apart the compression ring looked like a railroad rail and the cylinders were bell-shaped because there was so much wear. It works, but like I said, it should only be used as a last resort."
===============
Sounds like an inferior [brand C] engine to me.

"If it were only a lubricant how in the world do the clutches in an automatic transmission ever grip at all? "
============
How to motorcycle clutches run in plain oil?
Honestly....
Old December 3rd, 2013, 07:29 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

This just sounds like a fundamental misunderstanding of mechanical devices.

The key thought question (along with "How do motorcycle clutches run in plain oil?") is "How does the ATF know when to suspend its abrasive qualities when in the bearings, but apply them when in the clutches or synchros?"

Automatic transmissions are some of the longest-lived mechanical devices most of us will ever encounter.
What mental gymnastics do I need to go through to believe that the same substance that can lubricate an automatic transmission for hundreds of thousands of miles will cause excess wear when used in small quantities in an engine?

- Eric
Old December 3rd, 2013, 07:46 PM

The same Dexron tranny fluid is used in the power steering system, and no rapid wear happens there.
My Harley calls for a special tranny oil, as regular oil will cause excess clutch slippage.
However my old YZ80 on the minibike uses straight 40W in the trans and it clutches just fine. Fine balancing between oil and friction materials...
I am thinking that using ATF as an engine lube can cause that excess wear just because it is too thin to let the pistons or rings glide on it like oil.