General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Lost all oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2019, 02:16 PM

Lost all oil pressure

My 62 Jetfire was fine when I parked it back in the fall but just started it a couple days ago and no oil pressure. These 215 engines have the Buick style oil pump up front on the timing cover and I am assuming it lost its prime? I just pulled the oil supply line to the turbo off that runs right off the oil pump. I poured about 1/2 cup of oil down the tube into the oil pump and tried to start it again. Still no oil pressure. GRRRR!

I guess I had better pull the bottom off the oil pump and pack it with lithium grease and then pull the distributor and spin the oil pump that way. I don't want to start it any more till I know it is good.
Old April 5th, 2019, 02:36 PM

Any chance the gauge is faulty ?
Old April 5th, 2019, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by Chugger
Any chance the gauge is faulty ?
That was the first thing I checked. It also has some lifter noise from not pumping up after sitting. At least I hope it is just needing primed... I am about ready to restore the car anyway but was wanting to drive it till July
Old April 5th, 2019, 02:49 PM
Old(s) Fart

I think vaseline is the lube of choice to pack an oil pump. Did you pull the distributor to check the drive shaft? Try priming it with a drill?
Old April 5th, 2019, 02:50 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Does the 215 turn CCW?
Old April 5th, 2019, 02:59 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by redoldsman
Does the 215 turn CCW?
No. It's a Buick designed motor. It turns clockwise.
Old April 5th, 2019, 03:03 PM
MOTORHEAD

Is there a bypass that may be stuck or have a chunk of something holding it open???
I was never impressed with the buick engines oiling program

Last edited by 11971four4two; April 5th, 2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old April 5th, 2019, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I think vaseline is the lube of choice to pack an oil pump. Did you pull the distributor to check the drive shaft? Try priming it with a drill?
I am going to pull the distributor when I work on it next time. I likely have 20 seconds of trying things with the engine running. Not going to do any more of that.
Old April 6th, 2019, 04:34 PM

1. Vaseline is "ok". Lithium grease is bad news--won't melt well when the engine runs, plugs the oil filter. If it was me, I'd just spin the oil pump with a drill motor and forget the grease/vaseline. I primed a 455 Buick that way.

2. The Buick should have an external (accessible) oil pump pressure regulator valve. Could be worthwhile pulling it apart to assure it isn't stuck open.

3. Plugged oil filter??? For fukk sakes, we hope it isn't orange.

4. I bought an Olds Toronado that had no oil pressure. Was "fine when parked", but no oil pressure a year or three later. Oil pan drain plug leaked. Pan had no oil in it.
Old April 6th, 2019, 07:20 PM

I keep forgetting it is not called Lithium grease. It is a bad habit that was started 20 years ago at work, it is actually Lubriplate assembly lube. At work they called it lithium grease decades ago and it stuck.
Old April 7th, 2019, 06:52 AM

I don't know if the 215 is the same oiling system as the old 231 Buick? I remember putting a timing chain in a 231 years ago at work. The car broke down while being driven and was brought in on a hook at Wards where I worked as a mechanic. It had jumped timing. Anyway I removed the timing cover which contained the oil pump and replaced the chain/gears. After putting it all back together it had no oil pressure. I thought what did I do wrong?? Another mechanic said to go over to the grocery store and get some "viener-slider" and pack the oil pump. I walked over to the store and bought the Vaseline and came back and packed the pump and put back together. Started up and had oil pressure. The car drove away and never heard from again. I think the oil drained out of the pump while it was setting on the bench and was worn out enough that is wouldn't reprime. Since then I have kept some viener-slider in my tool box. Maybe it will work for you, Eric, good luck, Greg.
Old April 7th, 2019, 07:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Greg Rogers
I don't know if the 215 is the same oiling system as the old 231 Buick?
The Buick V6 was developed from the 215 and built on the same assembly line. The original V6 was 198 cu in, then 225, then 231. The front covers (and thus oil pump) interchange.
Old April 7th, 2019, 10:39 AM

Good news, I pulled the distributor and before pulling the oil pump apart I tried to prime with a drill. It took a minute but it primed up. Put the distributor back in it and fired up and the oil light went out. As long as it is ok till after Homecoming then I will be happy. I am rebuilding it when I restore the car.