General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Looking for ideas on install rubber fuel grommet

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2013 | 07:58 AM

Question Looking for ideas on install rubber fuel grommet

Does anyone know an easy way to install rubber fuel grommet that goes on the filler neck on 62 olds super 88 or is there a special tool required?
Old October 13th, 2013 | 08:20 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm not familiar with the car, but if you post a few pictures we might be able to figure it out.

- Eric
Old October 13th, 2013 | 08:28 AM

I am not familiar with it either, and I have a '62. Does not the fill tube connect to a rubber hose at the tank end? If so, would not one disconnect that rubber hose and put the grommet in question on from the bottom/tank end?

Just guessing here?
Old October 13th, 2013 | 07:22 PM

need the grommet to fit into the hole in the body behind the gas tank door. Will try and get some pics on soon. It is a metal neck down to the bottom of the tank.

Eric
Old March 15th, 2015 | 03:06 PM
Rocketeer

Originally Posted by D. Yaros
I am not familiar with it either, and I have a '62. Does not the fill tube connect to a rubber hose at the tank end? If so, would not one disconnect that rubber hose and put the grommet in question on from the bottom/tank end?
I'm having the same problem with the same car, so I'm digging up this old thread.

The answer to your question is No.

The fill tube is solid steel tubing that's welded to the tank. When mounting the tank, the neck passes upwards into the box on the right rear quarter panel (the compartment with the fuel door). There is a large rubber grommet that press-fits into the cutout in the box to prevent vibration of the filler neck against the body panel. the fuel neck passes through the grommet, and the grommet acts as a spacer between the fuel neck and the fuel box on the left quarter panel.

The end of the fuel neck looks like it has a press-on fitting at the top of the fuel neck that is slotted to receive the twist-lock fuel cap. There is a raised ridge on the pressed-on fuel cap receiver that prevents the grommet from being removed. Because the tip of the fuel neck is wider than the rest of the fuel neck, it cannot pass through the grommet. This prevents removal of the tank unless you remove the pressed-in fitting on the tip of the fuel neck -- or cut the filler neck. (!)

The original cars have all-steel filler necks, no rubber hose, except for the vent tube. That's how the original cars are. I imagine that cars that have been hacked upon might have rubber hoses connecting the parts because someone got frustrated and took a saw to the filler neck.

I'm trying to figure out how to remove the pressed-on gas cap receiver that's on the tip of the fuel neck. I have no idea how to get it off, but it looks like it is pressed-on with a special tool. Until I figure this out, I can't remove that rubber grommet to drop the tank.

I was hoping there might be an assembly manual somewhere that shows how this is done.

Anyone?

Last edited by bob p; March 15th, 2015 at 03:11 PM.
Old March 15th, 2015 | 03:26 PM

If I'm not mistaken the grommet is grooved around the outside to fit around the sheet metal. I believe you push the grommet down the neck and it remains on the neck for removal. It's probably as hard as a brick, so it won't be easy, if even possible, to save it. The new grommet gets stretched over the neck, tank installed, and grommet pulled back over the sheet metal opening. It's really pretty easy, lol! I think it was a Pontiac I had to do that on, but the basic idea should be about the same.
Old March 15th, 2015 | 03:38 PM
Rocketeer

> grooved around the outside.

It's actually flanged, with the narrow section press fitting into the hole in the quarter panel box, and the wide section on the topside covering up the hole. As you look at it from the filler door, the rear side has a much smaller diameter than the front side. The flange completely covers up the hole that the filler neck passes through. If it slips over anything, a new piece would definitely press into place from the outside of the car, not from the underside, because the flange on the topside is so wide that passing through could never happen.

I'm thinking that when the flanged grommet is new, it probably has enough stretch/flexibility to slip over the tip of the filler neck to go into position. that way you could press it into place from above. being as old as it is, my gasket is hard as a rock, and i may be forced to cut it off. i don't even know if replacements grommets are available.

i was hoping someone could point me to an assembly manual so that i could verify things before proceeding. knowing whether a replacement part is available would help.

thanks for the quick response.