General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

LONG term project car

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2020, 07:28 AM

LONG term project car

I've built many cars over the years. GTOs, a couple of cutlasses, a 77 Impala, even a mustang or two. This time I think I've bit off more than I can chew. How stupid is trying to bring this thing back on the road? I have a 425 I pulled out of a 66 Toronado, but other than that I would have to scrounge up absolutely everything else.

As near as I can tell, its a 1927 Model T roadster. No frame, no title, no floor. I pulled it out of a swamp, and some days I think I should just put it back.

Old May 6th, 2020, 07:43 AM

Hi,

I wouldn't throw it back, could be a real neat rod, rat or hot. Maybe start looking for a donor sedan, chassis all depending upon how you envision the project.

Its definitely a project for the not faint of heart, but sounds like you have a bit of restoration under your belt.

Worst case you can pass it along to the next person who has the ambition/pocket book.

Nice you saved it, good luck with the decions.

Regards,
Old May 6th, 2020, 07:53 AM

Man I would make a Rat Rod out of that in a hot minute, well in a bunch of months anyway. Wouldn't worry much about the front sheet metal you don't need it anyway, reinforce the lost wood with metal square tubing and hang a modern frame under it, scrub it down with a little Mothers wax and go to the shows... See it's almost built already..... One's high on my bucket list..... Lost in the fifties...Tedd
Old May 6th, 2020, 08:26 AM

it depends....

how much you can do yourself? I do not see anything insurmountable body actually looks ok, and repair should be straight forward if you need to replace metal (If you can weld, or are willing to learn) as for the frame construction etc that in my opinion is where to start, you could just go here
https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Nosta...20(Feb28_2020)

you will need to do some research
maybe here is a good start

https://www.tbucketplans.com/product/build-a-t-bucket/

the engineering has all been done and you would need to work out the olds mounting etc. the fenders etc they look rough, but on the bright side everything you want to do or think you might want to do has been done already, sort what you will need from that pile and scrap the rest or make wall art out of it, every build starts with a foundation so the frame is where its at.

it will be a labor of love, it will be easy to get upside down in this in a hurry if you cant do a lot yourself, if that is the case it would be possible to sell your collection of metal there to someone, and take that money and find a project that is further along? maybe swap some other rodder? so look to local rat rod and hot rod clubs if any

just a few thoughts, thinking out loud...
Old May 8th, 2020, 09:02 PM

This guy used parts from a whole bunch of different vehicles to complete this. Obviously SBC power, Oliver tractor radiator and shell, T-bucket body and a roof panel from a Ford Maverick. There were others in the list, but that is all I remember. Just fuel for the fire.

Old May 8th, 2020, 09:30 PM
Administrator

I've seen people start with less. I will say this, if you leave it there long enough it will wash away on its own.
Old May 9th, 2020, 06:22 AM

While it's "noble" of you to want to save it, I'd consider the pluses vs the minuses. When I read your first thread and saw the picture, my first thought was MINUS. In Ohio, you'd have to jump through many "hoops" to get a title. Plus, it would be a major money pit. If it had a title, (not saying I'd do it) then I might start pricing everything to get more information in order to make a decision. I'd sell it, hopefully to someone who needs parts. Jmo.
Old May 9th, 2020, 07:28 AM

Kenny the title would come from the chassy you put under it, something pre smog if it was mine. Just thinking or dreaming.... Tedd