General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

King of the highway

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2020, 08:33 PM

King of the highway

I have only had My 56 Olds since late June, having been a auto tech for 25 years I was pretty confident in my choice and that I had chose a pretty sound veh, but there's always that little piece of you that's hesitant or skeptical so I have been getting in the pool a little bit at a time
big toe first then a leg then a little more up to the waist.
I have taken many short trips on surface streets and side streets feeling more confident each time that she's mechanically sound.
today we crossed in to new territory THE FREEWAY !! had to go get ink cartridges for the printer, closest Office max about 5-6 miles
about 4 miles freeway, well I felt like the Chris Isaak song "king Of The Highway" up the ramp merged at 65 mph and never looked back
till exit she had plenty more to give and was steady as a rock no vibrations, no grunts no groans no problem felt pretty damn good for a 64 year old car.
So it wasn't a long trip but it was satisfyingly. I'm working my way up to one of the 60 mile round trip larger cruise ins around here in the late fall when the weather cools down , (yeah I'm probably a little over cautious but should something happen I just don't get around as well as I used to )

Old September 23rd, 2020, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by solly
I'm working my way up to one of the 60 mile round trip larger cruise ins around here in the late fall when the weather cools down
I do that mileage for club meetings and car shows at The Pavilions. Seems like everything is on the opposite side of town from me.
Old September 24th, 2020, 01:38 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

It's often said, and with good reason, that long trips are the best way to treat your car. Everything up to design operating temperature, any moisture in the exhaust blown away.
And best of all, more people get a chance to check out your pride and joy!.

Roger.
Old September 24th, 2020, 04:39 AM

That's the smart way to do it ,Solly. Find out about the roadworthyness of the car before you go to far. Sounds like it is a good cruiser! A little further next time!
Old September 24th, 2020, 04:12 PM

Thanks guys, the Pavilions is my goal, Westgate starts again in October I Believe, its a much shorter drive for me I can take either surface or freeway to that one. I wasn't as cautious on my 64 Belair because I did that restoration and knew every nut and bolt I put in it (except trans, I don't do trans work) eng, susp, chassis, brakes. interior etc... I have to take somebody else's word on the Olds so I'm getting there.
Old September 25th, 2020, 04:31 AM

I've put an average of 1000 miles a year on our 61 since we bought it. i just did go through the brakes and installed a dual MC while i was at it. Old Oldsmobiles are great road cars and ours eats up freeway miles with aplomb although I prefer driving the blue (back) highways. Something about the blacktop and gentle hills and curves of Missouri wine country that makes it seem as though that is what our 61 was designed for. I have full insurance on her with roadside service; I've had to call twice when we had charging problems but never had to have her towed home. Enjoy driving your car, thats what it was made for. I've owned a garage queen and I MUCH prefer driving over waxing.
Old September 25th, 2020, 05:39 AM
Administrator

I normally go through every car I buy and check/repair tires, brakes/repack bearings, front end/suspension, drive train, Ujoints, rear suspension, hoses, fluid/filter changes, cooiling system, tune up, electrical, etc Once I get through all of this (usually takes about 2 weeks) I can honestly say its roadworthy and take a 200 mile drive. There may be a few short trips in those 2 weeks.
Make sure that any insurance policy you have includes towing.
Old September 25th, 2020, 06:07 AM

My car is only 49 years old. The first time out we went 110 miles. What a blast.
Have fun and good luck!!
Old September 25th, 2020, 07:15 AM

Once you get it up to what you feel is safe comfortable and reliable there is nothing better than a long fun road trip to show off your ride. You will be there very soon, confidence is probably the biggest holdup once all the mechanicals ar attended to....... Tedd
Old September 25th, 2020, 12:07 PM

The last couple classic cars I have bought were over 1200 miles away. I go over them best I can, test drive check for leaks and if all looks good set off for home. I always carry roadside assistance. Been fortunate never had to be towed.