General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.
View Poll Results: K&N VS Paper air filters
K&N
28.57%
Paper
71.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

K&N air filter VS Paper filter

Search this Thread

Old August 19th, 2016, 10:24 PM
4 Barrels of Laughs

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
The guys I raced must have sucked then. I raced 5 of them that I can remember and never lost. 2 of them were stick cars with the traditional add on's. When the new engine cam out (what ever was after the 5.0?) they said I was now going to loose. I only raced one of them and it was a stick and beat it worse than the 5.0. I am not a good drag racer at all and the W-41 was not built for drag racing but I had no problem with the 5.0's. Now on a curvy road I beat them so bad it was embarrassing for them.
I was trying to find a 'present' for you, by looking at centroids current website, the Q4 head was one of the prototypes I worked on and our early brochures had one mounted to the jig on a 5 axis machine, we demoed it at the 2004 PRI along with some chevy 660 heads and LS1 heads. At the time there were a number of people racing some odd classes, and one the Q4 fit well into BUT, as you know, the head gaskets never held and the heads always cracked There were no known good GM castings of the Q4 head so this one company recast them out of billet and moved the cooling jackets more towards the top to allow more deck thickness, we digitized the ports, bowls and CC and milled them into the new head, plus we corrected for core shift and using mastercam could alter the design....it was real cool at the time, today, fairly commonplace. our cost to produce a corrected, blueprinted Q4 head, or any other head for that matter was about $100 - most of it in the casting. They fetch well over $1000-3000 each. People drop the 6 digits for the mill and control without a sweat, 3 months the shop is in the black....the reason we went to to PRI was NASCAR. just about every team designs the 'new' head in the winter then pays a couple kids to mount billet on the machine and in a weekend, generate heads for the entire season - all carbon copies.

HOWEVER, I can contact the shop and see if they saved the old intercon files of the Q4, you can import into any mill of choice and I know that the original Q4 jig and the files to make it are still there.....
Old August 20th, 2016, 03:33 AM

That would be some cool information to have.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 06:27 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by quaddriver
plus we corrected for core shift and using mastercam could alter the design....it was real cool at the time, today, fairly commonplace. our cost to produce a corrected, blueprinted Q4 head, or any other head for that matter was about $100 - most of it in the casting. They fetch well over $1000-3000 each. People drop the 6 digits for the mill and control without a sweat, 3 months the shop is in the black....the reason we went to to PRI was NASCAR. just about every team designs the 'new' head in the winter then pays a couple kids to mount billet on the machine and in a weekend, generate heads for the entire season - all carbon copies.

HOWEVER, I can contact the shop and see if they saved the old intercon files of the Q4, you can import into any mill of choice and I know that the original Q4 jig and the files to make it are still there.....

If you can get the info that would be great to see. Altering the design in Mastercam would take time back in the day. Especially working with surfaces.
$100. is cheap!! Even if kids were setting up and operating the 5 axis CNC machines over the weekend.
I couldn't do it for that price.
Old August 23rd, 2016, 11:40 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by Olds64
I gather that filtration is much more important for a diesel when your using hi pressure engine oil at 500 to 3000 psi to control your injectors.
Huh???.
Where is engine oil subjected to those pressures in a diesel engine?.

Roger.
Old August 24th, 2016, 05:36 AM

Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but Powerstrokes are second only to Oldsmobiles...

Roger, the Ford Powerstrokes use a hi-pressure oil pump and Fuel Injection Control Module to control the injectors. The pressure rises as engine rpm goes up. The Ford 6.0L only had 3 different designs of hi-pressure oil pump depending on the year because they failed so often. If you want to learn more check out Powerstroke Help on YouTube and the web.
Old August 24th, 2016, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I am astounded at the full third of responders who use the K&N.

Considering the contrast between a -- What? $40? $50? -- filter that requires time consuming regular maintenance regardless of mileage, and a $5 filter that takes seconds to change, and, with the amount of use the car sees, needs to be changed about once a decade, I am absolutely amazed that so many people choose the former option.

- Eric
im astounded at people whining over a $50 part on cars that are worth thousands-tens of thousands. they dont make coffins with drawers...

its takes very little time to clean a K&N as well as re-oil it.. 50,000 miles is hardly regular maintenance. http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm
Old August 24th, 2016, 08:59 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by 88 Cutty Classic
im astounded at people whining over a $50 part on cars that are worth thousands-tens of thousands. they dont make coffins with drawers...
1. I bought my car for $900. As I've said before elsewhere, these aren't Maseratis.

2. If, as discussed above, the K&N provides less filtration than a paper filter, then who is spending his money more wisely, and who is squandering it?

- Eric
Old August 24th, 2016, 09:09 AM
Hookers under Hood

its takes very little time to clean a K&N as well as re-oil it.. 50,000 miles is hardly regular maintenance. http://www.knfilters.com/cleaning.htm
I'm assuming your running a K&N filter. Did you take the poll?
I actually took my K&N filter out last weekend and found dust/dirt inside the filter at the base of my breather.
I was shocked to see the dust actually.
Anyway I wiped it up and put the Edelbrock paper filter that came with the breather. All good now.

Eric
Old August 24th, 2016, 01:01 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by Olds64
Sorry to hi-jack the thread, but Powerstrokes are second only to Oldsmobiles...

Roger, the Ford Powerstrokes use a hi-pressure oil pump and Fuel Injection Control Module to control the injectors. The pressure rises as engine rpm goes up. The Ford 6.0L only had 3 different designs of hi-pressure oil pump depending on the year because they failed so often. If you want to learn more check out Powerstroke Help on YouTube and the web.
Ok, thanks. I would like to learn more about this system. I figured common rail took over from mechanical pumps without much else occurring. But I'm always willing to learn more.

Roger.
Old August 24th, 2016, 01:03 PM
Administrator

I've used K&N filters and don't give an opinion from ignorance or lack of knowledge. I'm not impressed with them and cleaning requires about an hour or so. My filter used to get dirty in about 12 months as I had an off road vehicle that went off road. You also have to buy the cleaner and oil to treat the filter periodically for around $15.00. I never saw an increase in fuel economy with them either. Like I said earlier the paper filters are very efficient and last a while.
Old August 24th, 2016, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by 76olds
I'm assuming your running a K&N filter. Did you take the poll?
I actually took my K&N filter out last weekend and found dust/dirt inside the filter at the base of my breather.
I was shocked to see the dust actually.
Anyway I wiped it up and put the Edelbrock paper filter that came with the breather. All good now.

Eric
are you talking about a breather or an air filter? i dont know if they are called breathers in canada so thats why i am asking. to me a breather is a vent so its gonna act differntly than an air intake so maybe for that application its no good.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I've used K&N filters and don't give an opinion from ignorance or lack of knowledge. I'm not impressed with them and cleaning requires about an hour or so. My filter used to get dirty in about 12 months as I had an off road vehicle that went off road. You also have to buy the cleaner and oil to treat the filter periodically for around $15.00. I never saw an increase in fuel economy with them either. Like I said earlier the paper filters are very efficient and last a while.
i ran a K&N on my Marauder and have certified gains on a dyno. i then switched to a CAI and reuseable cone filters are much easier to come by than paper. stock at the wheels i averaged 258.4 RWHP and the K&N in the stock box averaged 12.9 RWHP improvement. that was for 3 pulls in each config.

I ran a K&N on both my monte SS and 83 hurst but switched the hurst to paper simply for originality purposes.

Lastly I run a K&N on my six barrel road runner because finding and buying paper filers for a 440 six barrel is inconvenient

the actual cleaning and oiling takes like 5-10 minutes. if you let it set to dry, then yeah, it could take an hour but there are other ways to dry it that dont take long at all. besides, all you have to is plan accordingly if you know the thing needs to sit for a lil bit. i bought one recharge kit about 10 years ago and still have it.

im not saying a K&N is the end all or the only way but for indepent expert sources to verify the gains of K&N and other like products, to me, trumps opinions on message boards. i dont mean that in an ignorant way at all but the expert opinions are trusted for a reason. K&N is gonna tell you what they tell you because they want to sell parts but when someone who isnt payed by K&N tells you facts, as in gains and filtration, how can you ignore what they say if they are a name in the industry?

i recommend watching "richard clark- chasing air molecules" on youtube.
Old August 24th, 2016, 02:17 PM
Hookers under Hood

We call them breathers up here in Canada LOL. Cold air intakes (breathers) are referred to the newer cars like our Pontiac G8's.
So yeah the "Cold Air Intake" on my 350 Olds is what I'm referring to. I drive in dusty conditions at times with my Olds. Be it road construction, dirt roads in the country, so the K&N filter would need to be changed at least twice when I drive it for the season.
I have two and was going to clean one for doing a change, just never got around to it.
I may clean them up and go back to the K&N next year, unsure at this point. I have a paper filter in for now.
Thanks for posting the gains you showed using the K&N.
Cheers
Eric
Old August 25th, 2016, 12:59 PM

My, new to me, truck (2002 Ford F250 Super Duty V10) has a K&N Filter. I had to buy both the cleaner and oil to service the filter. Cost me $27.43. Should service the filter a whole bunch of times.

That said, I soaked/washed the filter in Dawn dish liquid. I removes oil/grease on birds without hurting them, so figured it would not hurt the filter or my V10 engine.
Old August 25th, 2016, 01:12 PM

dawn takes grease out of your way
Old August 25th, 2016, 02:56 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

The oiled air filter(I have heard it called both up here) I run does take a good half hour to clean completely. I also find the air hose will clean it good enough most times. I only oil it because I could only find a 14" x 3.5" in a a 2 layer racing filter. The top was an oiled filter, why not oil both, especially with less layers . The AEM dry flow filters are easier to clean and no doubt out flow paper filters. Most times blow out or dish soap, rince and dry. I set air intake codes that went away shortly after and felt it in the seat of the pants. Getting a simple air filter filter can be a pain up here unless it is a common model.
Old August 26th, 2016, 04:08 AM
4 Barrels of Laughs

Originally Posted by olds 307 and 403
Getting a simple air filter filter can be a pain up here unless it is a common model.

yeah but dony you guys have jamie davis to save the day?
Old August 26th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Hookers under Hood

Originally Posted by quaddriver
yeah but dony you guys have jamie davis to save the day?
Yeah, do you need us to call him to help get you out of the woods? Will the rotatory be necessary?
Old August 26th, 2016, 08:56 AM
Hookers under Hood

Hey quadro,

I just got off the phone with our buddy over at Jamie D, I gave him the heads up that you may be calling for help.
He assured me, no worries but the Rotator will be down until after the labor day weekend here.
He mentioned he had just the thing to help you if needed.
His truck is packin' some good Hookers, they will make anuff noise to get the bears off ur back.
Now if ther are any bulls around in the bush be sure to wipe your boots before getting aboard cuz he doesn't want to take any Bull$hit along back.
Also take a good dump before he gets ther can't take much $hit aboard ya know.