General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

It's the End of an Era for me, literally

Search this Thread

Old April 9th, 2017, 04:59 PM

It's the End of an Era for me, literally

Well guys, it’s with a little sadness I have to report, I sold my Cutlass today. I owned it 9, almost 10 years, and as many of you know, I’ve done a lot of work to it. And most of that wouldn’t have been possibly without the help of ClassicOlds and its members. I want to say thank you to everyone here who helped me, answered my questions, talked me through things, explained things 3 different times so I wouldn’t screw up, etc. There’s a lot of good people here, and I appreciate all the help I got.

I’ve come to the realization over the winter time, the car is starting to need work. The paint is starting to show its age, and it’ll likely need to be painted after this season or the next. The front seats were starting to flatten, and it was getting to be about time to invest some money there too. I wasn’t a huge fan of the brown interior, so that would have been the time to upgrade to black, or white. And then there’s the drivetrain, a stock 72, low compression 350, even with 3.33 gears is about as anemic as can be. Without a lot of money in upgrades, the car would never be what I wanted. I refused to spend upwards of 15k on Cutlass to make it what I wanted. The market just isn’t there come time to sell. No one pays 15,000+ on a regular Cutlass, no matter what’s been done to it(Unless it’s had a Corvette driveline Swapped into it, or equivalent). And I just couldn't justify it. It’s a sad realization, because I spent 2+ years (2006-2008) looking for a 70-72 Cutlass because I always wanted one. Every weekend, or at least every other during the nice months I would be driving somewhere to see one. And the one I bought, seemed like a good deal, seemed like it was a dream find, especially for a 18 year old kid with a 10k budget. Well, mine anyway, ended up causing me more frustration than enjoyment; sort of like an ex-wife.

I got $500 less than I wanted for it, but at the end of the day, It’s not my problem anymore. I tinkered and adjusted and experimented with all kinds of things to get a few more ponies out of a sucky driveline. I never went into the car thinking I’d make money, but I never thought it would have been so hard to get a fair price for it when I went to sell it. I should have listened from the beginning, don’t buy a car the needs anything. Buy a car that’s been fully restored and good to go. I wish it’d spend 10,000 or 12,000 on a cutlass back in 2008 that had been restored, had a rebuilt motor, and was something to write home about. Who knows, maybe I’ll find another Oldsmobile, but it’ll be a big block, or at least a stoutly built 350, that’s for sure.

Again, I just wanted to say thanks to everyone. I’ve learned a lot in my time here, and I’ll still be around, I’ve certainly got some parts that will need new homes.

Happy Motoring Guys!
-JPC
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:10 PM
Administrator

I guess congrats are in order. Hang around, a car is not a necessity to stay a member here.
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:15 PM

Well, you learned some things and when the time is right you will be more prepared to do it over.
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:16 PM
Olds Fever

Congratulation on your sale... But as some would say, the next good deal is right around the corner...
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
I guess congrats are in order. Hang around, a car is not a necessity to stay a member here.

It's a little bittersweet. I feel a little bad about giving up on a "young mans dream"(you know from the 18yr who bought it), but just because it didn't happen in that Cutlass, doesn't mean it wont in another.

Thanks bud! I plan to stick around. I'm sure there's someone around here I can help too! I love the way Cutlass's look, who knows, if the right car comes around, I could be in another!
Old April 9th, 2017, 05:41 PM
Hookers under Hood

Congrats to seeing your project through for as long as you did. You started so many good threads here that will help so many in the future. This hobby can run us all ragged at times LOL.
Be proud of what you accomplished, especially with an Olds. Just about every aftermarket parts needs some sort of finessing to make it work in an Olds.
As Oldcutlass mentioned, don't be a stranger, your a brother now!
All the best going forward!!
Eric
Old April 9th, 2017, 07:31 PM

Hopefully you find what your looking for down the road. Good thing you didn't put a Corvette engine in the Cutlass, not many buyers looking for that combination. lol
Old April 9th, 2017, 07:48 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Hopefully another olds down the road for you . Im approaching year 10 with my 72 and currently doing a repaint. I almost scrapped it when the frame needed to be repaired and i had no money to spend on it. I have made too many friends in the olds world to change anything.
Old April 9th, 2017, 08:04 PM

The market just isn’t there come time to sell.
I think you were in this for the wrong reasons if your intention was to make money on a classic car.
Old April 10th, 2017, 05:43 AM

It's always hard to sell a classic car. I think fondly of my 64 98 that I sold years ago, and it was pretty rough. I've hardly thought of the 2011 Ford Flex or the 2003 VW Beetle my wife and I sold. Oldsmobiles have so much more character than other cars on the road. Good luck finding another project.
Old April 10th, 2017, 09:22 AM
Senior Moment Member

I too sold my favorite car recently. People I've told were very surprised that I had. They say things like, "But that was your baby?" Nope, no baby. Had a few of those. Real ones. It was a car I really enjoyed but it was time for it to go. I not only sold my Cutlass but all the other cars as well. On to the next!
Hard to part with isn't it jp?
Old April 10th, 2017, 10:25 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I'm sorry to hear you sold your car, JPC, but glad to hear you've gotten rid of a car that wasn't right for you.

With the knowledge you've gained, when you see the right car, you'll know it, and will buy a car that makes you happier. (Sort of like wives, I guess...)

- Eric
Old April 10th, 2017, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by CRUZN 66
Congratulation on your sale... But as some would say, the next good deal is right around the corner...
I sure hope so!

Originally Posted by 76olds
Congrats to seeing your project through for as long as you did. You started so many good threads here that will help so many in the future. This hobby can run us all ragged at times LOL.
Be proud of what you accomplished, especially with an Olds. Just about every aftermarket parts needs some sort of finessing to make it work in an Olds.
As Oldcutlass mentioned, don't be a stranger, your a brother now!
All the best going forward!!
Eric
Thank you! I sometimes felt I was a bit annoying in some of the threads, just because I didn't understand why or wasn't sure of the how.

I'll certainly stick around!

Originally Posted by Fun71
I think you were in this for the wrong reasons if your intention was to make money on a classic car.
I said I wasn't looking to make money, just got a little discouraged, I guess, when I started adding things up for what it would cost to make the cutlass how I wanted it.

Originally Posted by z11375ss
I too sold my favorite car recently. People I've told were very surprised that I had. They say things like, "But that was your baby?" Nope, no baby. Had a few of those. Real ones. It was a car I really enjoyed but it was time for it to go. I not only sold my Cutlass but all the other cars as well. On to the next!
Hard to part with isn't it jp?
It is hard. I mean I had it almost 10 years. But I'll find another one. One that really makes me happy. Probably of the 442 variety.

Originally Posted by MDchanic
I'm sorry to hear you sold your car, JPC, but glad to hear you've gotten rid of a car that wasn't right for you.

With the knowledge you've gained, when you see the right car, you'll know it, and will buy a car that makes you happier. (Sort of like wives, I guess...)

- Eric
Thanks. It's a bit of a relief. I hope the new owner enjoys it! It's not a bad car, it needs a little work, a new vinyl top and the body fixed right at the viynl stainless trim area, its just not a powerful car. It's not a car that will do burnouts between stop lights, and really, that's what I want. It's hard to get excited about a stockish cutlass, when your Daily Driver does 0-60 in 5 seconds, the 1/4 in 13, and gets 25mpg with AWD. With a 400 tune, those numbers improve even more. Technology really has taken a lot away from the old cars.
Old April 10th, 2017, 04:10 PM
72 Olds CS

was that your car a black 72 S on CL ? seemed like a fair price ! good luck and hope to see you back w another olds.
Old April 10th, 2017, 04:31 PM
Administrator

Keep your eyes open and wait for your deal. Buy a car equipped the way you want and the most car within your budget.
Old April 10th, 2017, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by jpc647
It's hard to get excited about a stockish cutlass, when your Daily Driver does 0-60 in 5 seconds, the 1/4 in 13, and gets 25mpg with AWD. With a 400 tune, those numbers improve even more. Technology really has taken a lot away from the old cars.
I hear ya on the technology bit. My "other" DD is a turbocharged, intercooled, 6 speed manual trans, AWD, totally fun car. The wife's car is even better, turbo/intercooler with an 8 speed auto that bangs through the gears at WOT so fast it's almost scary.

I still like driving the Cutlass, but maybe that's just nostalgia and/or familiarity from having driven it for the past 40 years.
Old April 11th, 2017, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
was that your car a black 72 S on CL ? seemed like a fair price ! good luck and hope to see you back w another olds.

Yup. I listed it Friday night, sold it Sunday afternoon. Second person that looked at it bought it.

I sort of thought 10,000 would be top of the mark for a Cutlass S, mostly stock. Maybe I could have gotten more for it, but I feel like I got what I had into it, out of it. Close to it anyway. Especially with some of the work the car was going to be needing. I'm super picky, the driver seat wasn't that bad, but it wasn't a plush as it was 10 years ago. It was starting to sag. No one else would know, because they didn't sit in it over the course of 10 years and 20,000ish miles. But the body was starting to concern me. It looked great from 5 feet away, but again, I've spent weekends of my life cleaning it, so I knew all the tiny little issues.

Originally Posted by Fun71
I hear ya on the technology bit. My "other" DD is a turbocharged, intercooled, 6 speed manual trans, AWD, totally fun car. The wife's car is even better, turbo/intercooler with an 8 speed auto that bangs through the gears at WOT so fast it's almost scary.

I still like driving the Cutlass, but maybe that's just nostalgia and/or familiarity from having driven it for the past 40 years.
Agreed, my DD, will rip through the gears at WOT so fast you don't even know it's shifted. It's sort of exhilerating chirping all four tires from a dig. The Bi-turbo produces power for daaayyyysss.

I liked the Cutlass, it looked good, and people always said nice car, etc. Yours is modified, and I'm sure the 355 screams. And the drop top is a nice touch. If mine was a convertible, I might have felt differently. Actually, I would have felt differently, and it would have been worth it to me to put some money into it.

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
Keep your eyes open and wait for your deal. Buy a car equipped the way you want and the most car within your budget.
The budget, realistically, isn't the problem. I'd love to find a nicely done 442, maybe even a convertible, with AC. It's gotta have AC. I wouldn't be opposed to that at all. The local Olds club show is only a few weeks away, I'm hoping there might be something for sale.

Last edited by jpc647; April 11th, 2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old April 12th, 2017, 06:19 PM
Out of Line, Everytime😉

Sorry to hear but after driving modern vehicles that 8 to 1 350 won't cut it. My wife has a 2010 Challenger SE, I want her to upgrade to the new AWD Challenger GT and I will mod her 2010 and sell my Olds G body. Find a car built the way you want one. Mine started out rotten, mice filled and probably the worst to everyone here 260 powered.
Old April 12th, 2017, 08:53 PM
Hookers under Hood

I look at it this way. If you want instant power, wicked power, reliability with decent fuel mileage. Then buy any of the performance plastic that's sitting on the car lots.
It's easy to buy them, we could all own one, ya with "ZERO" down and 8 years to pay for all that plastic.
But... If you want enjoyment, relaxation and the feeling you have of owning an "Older Car" with the different sounds, the heart pounding exhaust, and the smell of "OLD" Vinyl, wrapped up in sheet metal and chrome.
Then keep on the lookout for a ready to rock Oldsmobile with a " BUILT BIG BLOCK". Carry a small Toolbox with a "Good" socket set, screw driver set and a hammer with a service manual in the trunk.
Then your ready to enjoy everything that comes along with the ownership of an Older Car.
No need for huge power when the enjoyment is the best part of the experience. Huge power is just a plus that doesn't often get utilised with the laws governing our roads today.
All the best JPC,
Eric

Last edited by 76olds; April 12th, 2017 at 09:01 PM.
Old April 13th, 2017, 05:08 AM

Best of luck in your next endeavor! If you weren't happy with it, like any relationship, it's time to move on!

With my cars, they are most likely even more anemic than yours was, especially with a 2.73 rear in one and a 2.41 in the other! LOL

To me, I love them for what they are. I know I am not going anywhere quickly, I am just out for the ride, and I am OK with that!

I just appreciate keeping some Oldsmobiles on the road!
Old April 13th, 2017, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by damaged442
Best of luck in your next endeavor! If you weren't happy with it, like any relationship, it's time to move on!

With my cars, they are most likely even more anemic than yours was, especially with a 2.73 rear in one and a 2.41 in the other! LOL

To me, I love them for what they are. I know I am not going anywhere quickly, I am just out for the ride, and I am OK with that!

I just appreciate keeping some Oldsmobiles on the road!
Well said! My 2 Olds are fun for what they are, old cars. The new stuff is fun also but the feel is totally different. I have my Mustang SVT Cobra for the newer feel but nothing will replace the experience with my old cars!
Old April 14th, 2017, 08:30 AM

Originally Posted by 76olds
I look at it this way. If you want instant power, wicked power, reliability with decent fuel mileage. Then buy any of the performance plastic that's sitting on the car lots.
It's easy to buy them, we could all own one, ya with "ZERO" down and 8 years to pay for all that plastic.
But... If you want enjoyment, relaxation and the feeling you have of owning an "Older Car" with the different sounds, the heart pounding exhaust, and the smell of "OLD" Vinyl, wrapped up in sheet metal and chrome.
Then keep on the lookout for a ready to rock Oldsmobile with a " BUILT BIG BLOCK". Carry a small Toolbox with a "Good" socket set, screw driver set and a hammer with a service manual in the trunk.
Then your ready to enjoy everything that comes along with the ownership of an Older Car.
No need for huge power when the enjoyment is the best part of the experience. Huge power is just a plus that doesn't often get utilised with the laws governing our roads today.
All the best JPC,
Eric

I do agree, the newer cars don't have any chrome. I dunno about the 8 years and no money down, not for something in the performance realm. I was brought up that the only thing in your life you should have to finance in a house. There's only a note out on my BMW because, at .90 interest for 3 years, it's like borrowing money, for free. But if I had to, I could write a check and pay the note off anytime. To maintain or improve my credit score, the note made sense. Otherwise, I'd have walked in with 100 bills.

I don't need 500hp. I just wanted something that would get up and go, merging onto the highway, or between lights, etc. My car, never smelled like "old vinyl". It never smelled at all, except of gas at WOT. I didn't enjoy being passed by grandma's camry. Maybe that's an age thing, maybe I'm "spoiled" by newer technology. People don't look at the Bimmer and think, that's fast, until I hit the gas and it's off like a bat our of hell. It is what it is. I wasn't willing to spend substantially more on a run of the mill cutlass.

I don't have that "loyalty" to the cars built of yester-year. I love the way a body cutlass/442 look. I like a lot of old Lincoln's, and the bandit era trans-am, but there's not a lot else out there I "love". I'm sure a lot mid 20's to early 30's people now a days feel the same way and that's why a lot of us don't buy them. :/
Old March 6th, 2023, 05:56 PM
Ant's Dtr

10 years is a long time..but listen to this...I was 6 years old when my dad got his olds307. 6 ...dude I'm 44...and yes it has been nothing but a pain in my rear quarter panel...but she's family... You wouldn't want to go getting rid of your old Aunt would you? Okay don't answer that... I sure do get the looks when driving the car. I mean the car itself people are going to look at however you get a 4 ft 9 ,83 lb blonde stepping out of it you kind of get a lot of rubber necking action and some dbl takes. She kept over heating so I started a the heater core and now I have replace the coolant system even with a new radiator. And since the thermostats that were made back then we're junk ( but cheap enough) I am on my 3rd one. I lived in southern Illinois and it is damn near impossible to find a decent mechanic for an everyday car..so you can imagine the lack of options I have for help. I will admit I can turn a wrench with some of the best round here..I don't know why I doubt myself so much when it comes to working dad's car. My dad always told me one day..one day Brandy you being a double jointed midget WILL PAY OFF.. He was right cause it's like a twin bed rolling around under the car on my creaper... 🤣
Old March 7th, 2023, 07:01 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Antsdtr
10 years is a long time..
So is six years, which is when this thread was created. The OP last logged into this site two years ago.