General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Interesting read 49-53 Olds evaluation

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2018, 09:05 AM

Interesting read 49-53 Olds evaluation

I received this article today (as I'm sure all others here insured by Hagerty) regarding recent evaluations on 49-53 Olds cars.. Interesting food for thought...

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-vid...tyNews_Engaged
Old December 16th, 2018, 09:21 AM

Sad, but as some of the comments hinted at, its more or less inevitable due to cars being of most "value" to the car hobbyist tend to be the ones they grew up with and desired as a teenager. That bell-curve is always moving forward towards newer models tracking the median age of the car hobbyist population. Life's a beach.
Old December 16th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Oh no, not again...

Yeah, I read that too, but I'm not going to let it spoil my breakfast.
I have a 53 Olds Super 88 sedan, the cheapest of the cheap, and I'm going to make it a driver. Yes, I was aware that the car was worthless when I got it, in fact I got it for free. (it does run, it's not that fr gone) I'm not going to throw a ton of money at a restoration either, I'm doing most of the work myself. I'm going to modernize a few little things, but it'll be predominantly stock. And then I'm going to use it daily in the summer. Why not? It's a perfectly good serviceable car; and contrary to what the article claims, it doesn't move too badly, and they aren't badly built. They look a little stodgy, but so does a Chevy or a Packard from that period. That makes them "charming" (to use a sobriquet devised to explain a Mercedes Ponton of the same vintage) and charm does have a certain "grow on you" factor. It'll all end up in how they are presented.
So it'll be like the 30s cars are now; the few survivors will command a good dollar just simply because they'll be unique. By the time that happens, they'll be saying the mid-60s Oldsmobiles will be worthless, and so the cycle repeats.
Bottom line, hang on to the car, enjoy it, and let your descendants worry about liquidating it when you're beyond caring.
Old December 17th, 2018, 08:36 AM

I say GOOD for you. I like what you are saying Friskyjake
Old December 18th, 2018, 04:23 AM

There are lots of things affecting the price of these cars, but the main thing is their lack of tailfins.
Old December 18th, 2018, 09:12 AM

My theory is that, a car starts as new and loses popularity and value for the next 20 years. Then, it appreciates in value for the next 40, until it is 60. There is a plateau, then the value falls off as the cars hit 70, then the few remaining are worth something until they all are gone.

Right now, 58s are 60 years old. 55-57 Chevies have hit max value. Early 50s and 40s cars are 70, and are dropping fast, like this article says. Models As are half dead, and Model Ts are dead. Ten years from now, tri 5 Chevies will drop. 20 years from now, 70s muscle will drop. I mean, not to be mean, but 20 years from now, how many people on this forum will be alive/active in the old car hobby?

The late 70s and 80s were an anomaly because their performance was poor, and their styling has aged poorly. I think this may make 70s muscle last another 30 years, instead of the 20 I just mentioned, and cause the cycle to miss the 80s and go straight from 70s muscle to 90s performance in popularity.
Old December 18th, 2018, 11:25 AM

Read the article, and the comments. Have to disagree with those who claim the cars were ugly. Some years could have done with a bit more "style," but the 1953 model year has always been a more than good lookin' driving machine to me?
Old December 18th, 2018, 05:33 PM
Oh no, not again...

I kinda like the 53, the older ones are a bit more conservative and sure, look like an old guy's car, the 53 was a little flatter but still had the traditional styling cues. Sure, the 55-56 are prettier, but the 53 is actually scarcer, there aren't many that have survived. I think once mine has some paint and a flashy set of wide whites on it, it'll look pretty impressive as it motors past all the minivans in the slow lane.
As an appraiser, I would agree with Koda, his comments are pretty much bang on with what I'm seeing now. The 60s muscle is beginning to peak. The only problem is that there aren't enough young people getting into the hobby to further it. With the demise of the "tinkerable" car, and the rise of electronics and social media, younger people have other things to keep them preoccupied rather than getting greasy in a garage. Besides, that was their dad's schtick, and most won't go there as a result.
So cars like these early V-8 Oldsmobiles are good in one respect; they're cheap enough that if someone wanted to get into the hobby, this would be the car to get. They're relatively simple and easy to work on, parts support (except for body parts and hardware) isn't too bad, and they will keep up with modern traffic,
I'm keeping mine.
Old December 18th, 2018, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Nailheadcanuck
Yeah, I read that too, but I'm not going to let it spoil my breakfast.
I have a 53 Olds Super 88 sedan, the cheapest of the cheap, and I'm going to make it a driver. Yes, I was aware that the car was worthless when I got it, in fact I got it for free. (it does run, it's not that fr gone) I'm not going to throw a ton of money at a restoration either, I'm doing most of the work myself. I'm going to modernize a few little things, but it'll be predominantly stock. And then I'm going to use it daily in the summer. Why not? It's a perfectly good serviceable car; and contrary to what the article claims, it doesn't move too badly, and they aren't badly built. They look a little stodgy, but so does a Chevy or a Packard from that period. That makes them "charming" (to use a sobriquet devised to explain a Mercedes Ponton of the same vintage) and charm does have a certain "grow on you" factor. It'll all end up in how they are presented.
So it'll be like the 30s cars are now; the few survivors will command a good dollar just simply because they'll be unique. By the time that happens, they'll be saying the mid-60s Oldsmobiles will be worthless, and so the cycle repeats.
Bottom line, hang on to the car, enjoy it, and let your descendants worry about liquidating it when you're beyond caring.
I agree with this statement for the most part. I don't have any cars that I've purchased on their investment pedigree. They are something that brings me joy and keeps my hands busy. Our '40 coupe is not very practical at highway speed, but is ( in my opinion) a very stylish car that always receives kind words when we are out. Admittedly it does please me that my youngest son has asked me to care for it after I'm gone. I replied to him "Are you in a hurry?" I was not happy about the message in the article, but I did appreciate the unbiased, fact based information. I was hoping that others might find it informative as well. Not trying to convey a "sky is falling" epidemic!
Old December 18th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Oh no, not again...

I did find the article informative, in fact, I had just been thinking that there isn't much written about the 49-53 Oldsmobiles. And, like the article suggests, they were milestone cars. Talk to anyone who grew up during the 50s and it was the Olds Rocket which was the one to beat, it had dethroned the Ford Flathead (which is a sweetheart in it's own right) and remained king of the heap until dethroned by Buick Century in 1956. Oldsmobile was always a bit more avant-garde with respect to styling, - very much a product of the Art Deco era, and that unfortunately has probably contributed to their current values. I personally love Art Deco; - and I'm taking more of a shine to Olds as I learn more about them. (As you can see from my current roster, I'm a Buick guy, talk about worthless cars! But I love 'em anyway) I'd love to eventually get a 62 Starfire, I think that was probably the prettiest car made in the 62 model year by anyone. Here again, Olds was on the cutting edge of styling in the 60s, they only lost it going into the 70s, and unfortunately never really got it back until it was way too late.
So it's kind of weird that the early 50s stuff is forgotten or ignored by the "mainstream market". It really shouldn't be. So it'll be up to the rest of us to showcase these cars and what they're about. Think of it; when was the last time you saw a full-size Olds at a car show? The odd early 60s Starfire, maybe the odd 55 or 56, but other than that, nothing except acres of Cutlasses and 442s. I intend to do just that with my Olds when it gets there; - right now my Buicks are also finally gathering some interest for what they are; beautiful old cars.
I never bought a car as an investment; I'm a firm believer in the old adage that in order to make a small fortune in vintage cars you have to start with a larger one; - old cars are not an investment, they're a labour of love and an expression of the builder/driver that owns them, and that's the way they should remain.
Old December 18th, 2018, 07:59 PM

No one should buy a car as an investment. Classic cars are hobbyists' toys, and very few hobbies produce profit (unless you're into woodworking or other forms of making things). Buy and work on the car you like.