General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Intake Manifold ???'s

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2010, 09:44 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Intake Manifold ???'s

I went to change my intake man gasket, and I said you know what? I'm just gonna get a new manifold. Since I only have a 2bbl carb, I also said I'm just gonna get a new carb to go with it.

Now I have the edelbrock 2711 manny, and the 1406 carb.

I was putting the man back on, but for some reason, the bolts on one side wouldn't go in all the way, and one wouldn't go in at all after all the bolts were in.

But my ? is Do I need to get shorter bolts for that side? I got the edelbrock bolts, b/c I didn't want to put the old rusty ones back in there. This just doesn't seem right. Also, any suggestions on getting that last bolt in there? Even with all of the bolts out it still doesn't go in, and I'm worried I'm going to break the silicone seal I just made. If I take it off completely again, do I have to reclean all of the surfaces and lay new silicone down?

Stay tuned to this thread, b/c I'll be back with carburetor ???'s and vacuum line ???'s when I start putting that stuff on.

I'm a novice, but this is helping me learn alot!

Thanks for your help!

Here's a pic to show you what I'm talking about
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
no carb.JPG (107.2 KB, 41 views)
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:48 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Also..

This is a 69 cutlass s 350. I'm painting engine parts back to its original gold color a piece at a time, that's why you see the blue. I'm gonna have o take the engine out to get to the rest, and I"m not quite there in experience yet.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:49 AM

Lets start with the obvious, you do have a small block engine right? trying to install the small block intake onto the tall deck BB might cause the issue you are having.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:50 AM

OK that answers question 1. now, you are absolutely sure you got your valley pan in the right way, I have the BB version of that intake and it went on with no issues what so ever.
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:54 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

I seated down the pan with a brush on adhesive on the block side and everything was lined up. It may have shifted though when I put the manny on. Does this mean I'll have to take off the manny clean all the silicone off the manny and the valley pan and start over again?
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:56 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

It doesn't make sense thoough that the bolts only go in part way, even if the pan was off some.
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:01 AM

Soemtimes the gasket gets ****-eyed. If the gasket holes don't line up with the intake manifold bolt holes then you can put the bolts in but they will bind on the gasket. I've had this happen to me before.
Old July 1st, 2010, 10:40 AM
Land Yacht Captain

I had to stand on my intake to compress the gaskets enough to align the bolt holes.
Old July 6th, 2010, 11:36 AM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

I got the manifold on correctly now. The gasket just slipped some.

New Question...I got a new edelbrock 1406 carb. My old 2bbl air cleaner won't fit on the new carb obviously. Does anyone know if the olds 4bbl air cleaner base will fit the edelbrock 1406? Does anyone know where I can get on w/o paying $200? Also, my 2bbl air cleaner top should fit the 4bbl base still right?

I know I can get a cheap aftermarket one, but I would like to keep it real as much as I can you know?
Old July 8th, 2010, 07:14 AM

Yes, it will, just a bit snug around the 1406 carb. 5 1/8" air horn.
Pitch the 2bbl lid.
Put an ad on the parts wanted section.
State year, model, color (2 colors used in your year...) on your ad.
Most often, you get what you pay for. You should be able to score a nice one for under $75, shipped.
JMO
Jim

BTW...that dog is too damn cute. We lost our 10yr old pitt bull while we were in Canada 2 months ago, and I am missing her.
Old August 3rd, 2010, 07:52 PM
68 Cutlass S Convertible

Alright, I've been up and running for a couple weeks now = GOOD!

A few things I've noticed = BAD

1) It gets hot...190...210...220...230. Not at once, but gradually after I've been driving for 20 min on the hwy. I 've just installed a new temp gauge, so I didn't know the avg temp before I switched out parts. It did feel like it got abnormally hot under there before. Even the fenders are hot! Do the 100 degree temps here in TX have anything to do with that?

2) Starts up fine. Turn the key and it's on! However, after it's been running, I let it sit for a few minutes, and I have to keep my foot on the gas pedal....it turns for about 10 secs then it cathes. Simple carb adjustment?

3) It seems like I have no power. My theory...Is the original fuel pump that use to fuel a 2bbl carb not giving enough gas to the new 4bbl 600cfm carb?

To add to all of this, As the car gets warmer it just seems to lose power WHEN I'm IN GEAR sitting at a light or something. When The light turns green the car kind of sputters when I hit the gas. Also as the car gets warmer the oil pressure drops. First start of the dat 50...warm 40...driving 30...stoplight below 20. In park it idles fine with the oil pressure at about 25 when warm.

Thoughts?

Would any of you like to be my personal mechanic?