General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Installing OAI hood screen - weld or glue?

Old June 8th, 2019, 12:01 PM

Installing OAI hood screen - weld or glue?

So I'm at the point where I'm ready to install the screen prior to painting. I know the original screen was tack welded onto the metal frame, but I don't want to end up with a load of crappy spot welds that look like I did it myself. I don't have a reference as to what the factory welds looked like, but was wondering if I could achieve the same effect by using an adhesive like JB Weld or another similar product in the spot weld locations. Has anyone glued their screen on? Or is it really no problem to get a nice tack weld and not do a crappy job?
Old June 8th, 2019, 12:04 PM

Before you decide, I'd practice with some chicken wire and a piece of sheet metal. You may like your own results.
Old June 8th, 2019, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Before you decide, I'd practice with some chicken wire and a piece of sheet metal. You may like your own results.
I do have another screen I could use for practice if I can find a piece of flat steel. Welding would be a better, more permanent install for sure. I lack confidence for sure
Old June 10th, 2019, 05:37 AM

On my brother's Rallye, there were holes where the missing screen mounted so he used flat head sheet metal screws to attached the new screen and painted them black. Still deciding to cover the hard to see screws with something pliable to make it seem the screen was welded on. One good thing about using screws is the screen can readily be removed and cleaned if debris enters the hood scoops, especially during the fall months. It also eliminates the possibility of accidently damaging the hood while welding. Not sure though if a previous owner drilled the holes or if all OAI hoods have them.
Old June 10th, 2019, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by anthonyP View Post
On my brother's Rallye, there were holes where the missing screen mounted so he used flat head sheet metal screws to attached the new screen and painted them black. Still deciding to cover the hard to see screws with something pliable to make it seem the screen was welded on. One good thing about using screws is the screen can readily be removed and cleaned if debris enters the hood scoops, especially during the fall months. It also eliminates the possibility of accidently damaging the hood while welding. Not sure though if a previous owner drilled the holes or if all OAI hoods have them.
I've had 4 different OAI hoods and none had any holes for screws, though that would sure be an easier way of doing things. I know the screen isn't just there for keeping debris out of the air cleaner, it is also an electromagnetic shield for the radio, so I'm somewhat concerned about the attachment and the metal to metal connection that should be between the hood frame and the screen. Maybe I just answered my own question and I need to start practicing on some screen and scrap steel....