General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I'm a member!!!

Search this Thread

Old April 23rd, 2009, 06:23 PM

I'm a member!!!

...of the Olds 442 Club!!!! Just won it on eBay!
olds1.jpg

olds2.jpg

Anyone know anything about the Oldsmobile 442 Club? History?
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Trying to remember member

Good score, Tom. I already have a few of those (and a number of other vintage Olds jackets.) I'll take and post some pics. Love those vintage jackets!
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:41 PM
Captain of my ship

nothing

not really sure see if this opens http://www.kosmix.com/topic/oldsmobile_442_Club
Old April 23rd, 2009, 11:44 PM
Randy C.

I don't have that jacket, but I do have that patch. I have no idea from where it came, but it's in the glove box of my '68 right now. Is that still an active club or is it something of the past?
Old April 24th, 2009, 01:41 AM

I have that patch too, but not sure if it was an actual club. Windbreakers with car patches were pretty cool back in the day and a must have if you went to the drags. Some patches were available from speed parts companies, others you could buy from vendors.
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by oldsonharmont
I have that patch too, but not sure if it was an actual club. Windbreakers with car patches were pretty cool back in the day and a must have if you went to the drags. Some patches were available from speed parts companies, others you could buy from vendors.
I believe that is all there is to it.
I've done searching in the past and have not come up with any indication that there ever was a "442 Club" that related to that patch. That patch and that jacket *are* vintage, and there are a fair number of that combination out there. But as Mike suggests, I they were just offered as general merchandise "back then". That patch is being reproduced now, but there are still vintage ones out there, obviously. I'll try to post some jacket pics this weekend.
Old April 24th, 2009, 05:16 AM

Old April 24th, 2009, 07:29 AM

Maybe we should start one then. We could be like a street gang. Without the guns and cheap liquor. haha.
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:24 PM

Okay, Tom here you go. As you can see, there are a couple varieties of the gold jackets, 3 shown.
The "maroon" colored jackets seem to be more common, but again their was quite a variety. There are 7 in that pic.
I have over 2 dozen more Olds jackets of various origins.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
04.2009 091.jpg (56.5 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
04.2009 092.jpg (58.4 KB, 13 views)
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:30 PM

Wow, you could start your own Olds 442 gang.
Old April 28th, 2009, 12:57 PM
Registered

I used to see those car jackets for sale at K-Mart back then. They had "The Judge" windbreaker jackets with the patch and stripe in several colors well into the 70's, mostly orange...I mean Carousel Red. The Ford Cobra jacket with the snake on wheels was big too. I don't remember Olds jackets but I wasn't looking for them.

I was in a car gang, one guy was a 6 foot 10 greaser who smoked a pipe, nobody messed with us. We ruled Big Boy and the McDonalds at the other end of the strip and all betwixt the two.
In '73 we had jackets made and I designed the lettering and logo. Not bad for a punk grease monkey 18 year old now that I look at it again, still fits too.
"The Continentals", what a bunch of throwbacks, the hippies hated us, no peace between us.....man.

jacket.jpg
Old April 28th, 2009, 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I used to see those car jackets for sale at K-Mart back then. They had "The Judge" windbreaker jackets with the patch and stripe in several colors well into the 70's, mostly orange...I mean Carousel Red. The Ford Cobra jacket with the snake on wheels was big too. I don't remember Olds jackets but I wasn't looking for them.

I was in a car gang, one guy was a 6 foot 10 greaser who smoked a pipe, nobody messed with us. We ruled Big Boy and the McDonalds at the other end of the strip and all betwixt the two.
In '73 we had jackets made and I designed the lettering and logo. Not bad for a punk grease monkey 18 year old now that I look at it again, still fits too.
"The Continentals", what a bunch of throwbacks, the hippies hated us, no peace between us.....man.

Attachment 5586
Cool beans, Bluevista! Nice that your still have it. Lots of automotive heritage in Cleveland. What strip were you cruising?
Old April 29th, 2009, 04:34 AM
Captain of my ship

Smile Jackets

Originally Posted by wmachine
Okay, Tom here you go. As you can see, there are a couple varieties of the gold jackets, 3 shown.
The "maroon" colored jackets seem to be more common, but again their was quite a variety. There are 7 in that pic.
I have over 2 dozen more Olds jackets of various origins.
A lot of those look like they just have Olds or jet emblem patches , do any or all have 442 patch. I really like the one on fer right (red) with jet Emblem cool to send that to a guy who lives in cool climate with 69-98 and has car with jet emblem