General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Ignition switch tilt vs non tilt column HELP

Search this Thread

Old December 20th, 2019, 02:13 PM

Ignition switch tilt vs non tilt column HELP

I am trying to swap my 1972 CS non tilt column to a tilt column. I am trying to switch the ignition switch cuz mine is good to the tilt column. Problem is it won't fit. See pics. The slide is 180 off. The wires are also 180 off. I can't just turn my wires my wires 180 cuz they are old and stiff. I don't know what year the tilt column is out of but am told 69-72 are the same. They obviously are not. Shift lever won't swap, lock plate is different. Put a new TS switch in and the leads are way to long, will make that work but the ignition switch is baffling. Can I take the switch out of the holder and do a 180 on it??????? REALLY AM drawing on blank on this one folks. HELP Please note the switch marked T is the one from the tilt wheel and the NT is the switch from my standard column that I want to use.

Old December 20th, 2019, 05:19 PM

Might want to determine where the column came from. I think the 70 had a one year, different setup than the 71-72
Old December 20th, 2019, 06:07 PM
Old(s) Fart

The P/Ns for the switches apply from 1969 into the 90s. The only difference is tilt vs. non-tilt. The correct switch is about $13 on RockAuto. Why screw around?
Old December 21st, 2019, 07:53 AM

that is correct ... all the wires flip over when you change..

the std column uses a pull? motion switch
and
the tilts use a push style switch inside

or visa versa

twist the key and watch the rod move you will see why ...

ST

ps warm the wiring up with a heat gun or hair dryer they will flex easier
Old December 21st, 2019, 08:37 AM

Thank you very much for that. It really helped to know about the heat gun, I seriously would not have thought of that. I now see the difference in the actuator rods, it just plain did not register with me. I have been just fighting this project from day one. I will post pics WHEN I finish it.
Old April 20th, 2021, 01:10 PM

I'm at a loss on this... I purchased GM tilt column, came with switch installed. What wires need flipped?
looking for any assistance,
Old April 20th, 2021, 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by CJones
I'm at a loss on this... I purchased GM tilt column, came with switch installed. What wires need flipped?
I think the OP, when switching from non tilt to tilt was trying to use the non tilt ignition switch. you should be fine as is, since it is (assuming) coming with the correct switch.

Last edited by PatL; April 20th, 2021 at 04:21 PM. Reason: grammer
Old April 21st, 2021, 12:40 AM
Old(s) Fart

If you are replacing a standard column with a tilt column, the connectors just physically flip over to plug into the tilt switch. You don't have to change any wire positions, just flip the entire connector when you plug it in.
Old May 4th, 2021, 02:13 PM

Still stumped

Ok, figured guy used non tilt ignition switch, he said to flip plug and everything will work. That’s what everyone here says. The plug has tabs plus locking tab that will not allow me to line it up with anything when I flip it over.
Old May 4th, 2021, 02:30 PM

Ok, figured guy used non tilt ignition switch, he said to flip plug and everything will work. That’s what everyone here says. The plug has tabs plus locking tab that will not allow me to line it up with anything when I flip it over.
It might be easier to just get a tilt switch, there are readily available and pretty low cost.
Old May 4th, 2021, 02:45 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by PatL
It might be easier to just get a tilt switch, there are readily available and pretty low cost.
We have two separate discussions going in this thread - which is yet another reason why it's a bad idea to hijack someone else's thread.
The OP wanted to put a non-tilt switch on a tilt column. We told him why that doesn't work.
CJones has a tilt column that came with (presumably) the correct switch and is having trouble plugging his harness connectors into it. That is the new problem.