General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

If I could have a do over......

Search this Thread

Old February 28th, 2014, 05:49 PM

If I could have a do over......

I bought a new pair of Dickie coveralls today. Sure wish I had bought these at the start of this project before I had ruined all my best Levi's. I would have bought a cabinet sandblaster at the start of my project instead of a new wire wheel for my bench grinder too. Hindsight is 20/20. Have you guys got any "do over" advise for the newbies?
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:07 PM

Hmmm, jack stands, good air compressor, air tools, 2 or 3 good jacks, bead blaster, paint guns, ASSEMBLY MANUAL.
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Steve, I think you already have a good idea of what you'd want for a do over now that you've experienced the joy of a project car....

The only do over you probably already know most about? The W25 hood; you know what I mean.

Isn't it fun learning as you go though? You're such a creative guy I've picked up some things from you I might just try on my next project.
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:12 PM
Justin

Look your parts over really well before buying used one's pics can be deceiving!!
my fenders were smash at the tip of the nose so I got good ones and cut up my old ones. Well the new/ used ones had a lot of surface rust that needed cleaned up on the back side and I think it's a 50/50 on time it would of to repair the originals
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Steve, I think you already have a good idea of what you'd want for a do over now that you've experienced the joy of a project car....

The only do over you probably already know most about? The W25 hood; you know what I mean.

Isn't it fun learning as you go though? You're such a creative guy I've picked up some things from you I might just try on my next project.
The Hood was definitely a learning experience Allan. Most of the project has been smooth but that was a huge headache.
Old February 28th, 2014, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by oldstata
Look your parts over really well before buying used one's pics can be deceiving!!
my fenders were smash at the tip of the nose so I got good ones and cut up my old ones. Well the new/ used ones had a lot of surface rust that needed cleaned up on the back side and I think it's a 50/50 on time it would of to repair the originals
This is true about new parts as well! I bought a lot of parts all at one time at the start of my project a year ago. Some of them are just coming out of the boxes now. Last week I discovered that the Rally Pack I that was delivered a year ago was for a 69 instead of my 72. I bought it from the Parts Place I called them and explained that I had just discovered the error. They exchanged it for the correct one no questions asked. Second case in point. I bought a new right front fender and left it in the box and took it to the body shop. They unpacked it several months later and it discovered it was damaged. Cost me a couple hours labor to get it right!
Old February 28th, 2014, 08:05 PM
Administrator

Plans are always subject to change. What ever you think it's going to cost, double it.
Old March 1st, 2014, 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by Sampson
I bought a new pair of Dickie coveralls today. Sure wish I had bought these at the start of this project before I had ruined all my best Levi's. I would have bought a cabinet sandblaster at the start of my project instead of a new wire wheel for my bench grinder too. Hindsight is 20/20. Have you guys got any "do over" advise for the newbies?
Ya buy already done.Nick
Old March 1st, 2014, 04:44 AM

I probably wouldn't have gotten married the first two times.
Old March 1st, 2014, 09:16 AM

I would have looked high and low for an honest body man. Failing that, I would have gotten a ''capable'' lawyer. ( I do know an honest body man now, but I doubt that I'll do another project.)
Old March 1st, 2014, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Bunser
I would have looked high and low for an honest body man. Failing that, I would have gotten a ''capable'' lawyer. ( I do know an honest body man now, but I doubt that I'll do another project.)
Agreed! I chose poorly and it cost me huge. Lesson learned. Now that I'm almost done I can say I recall the ol man saying something about cheap work leaving a bad taste in your mouth. Hadn't needed a capable lawyer yet but if I go back over there I may need a good bondsman.
Old March 1st, 2014, 10:43 AM

I would have backed up my computer more often. Had a major crash and lost most of the pics I had taken at disassembly to help facilitate reassembly. Also lost my spreadsheet tracking purchases and costs. The latter was probably a good thing: