Could have lost a good friend tonight......how safe is your car? (added video)

Search this Thread

Old April 14th, 2012, 12:41 PM
car guy

Could have lost a good friend tonight......how safe is your car? (added video)

OK I witnessed something last night that I will not forget and my very good freind will never forget either.

A little bit of background. I met this kid thats now one of my best friends when he was about 20 yo 8 years ago. He came to work where I worked and he had a what he thought was a fast truck. I took him under my wing and we became good friends. I helped him over about a year transform his truck from a 8.9-9.0sec turd to a mid 6 sec race car slaying street truck. He sold it a few years back and has been getting the bug again.

Hes been telling my about the 85 Camaro he has been building completely by himself. I finally go to see it last month and I was really impressed. The kid really paid attention when we built his truck. It was almost a proud father type moment for me seeing what he had done with the car.

The car is still a pretty mild street car with a 406 built for nitrous with no kit on it yet. Motor made 530 FWHP. The only thing I really did not like is he had run out of money and used a mild built 7.5" rear with stock axles. Since I saw the car I have been giving him a hard time about the rear and said your going to break it over an over. He still has a little bit of that kid in him that does not listen to all my advise and thinks it will be OK for now.

So yesterday at lunch I get a call hey lets go to the track tonight and see what its going to run. He lives about 30 miles from the track and was going to drive it. I told him he was crazy and at least he listened to that part and rented a trailer.

I was hoping to see some good passes and sort of secretly hoping to get to say I told you so...........We shorting after arriving at the track on the very first pass in the car ever I got to tell the mother of all I TOLD YOU SO !!!

The car is on tiny 255 -16 drag radials. I had him do a good burn out and stage. The car launched hard got out about 40ft and then all hell broke loose. The left axle broke and came out of the car sending it sideways through the 60ft traps (still cut a 1.70 HAHA)

What happened next was the rear eye opener for me. The still spinning tire, wheel and axle assembly slammed in to the side of the driver door. Only 6-8" below side of his head the axle opened the door like a can opener. If the timing of these events was just a little different the axle would have gone through the glass right next to his neck and jugular vien.

I want everyone to read this and think about your car. A mild 455 in a 7.5 G-body could do the same thing. I know stuff happens but lets do a better job of eliminating weak links even if it makes you have to wait 2-3 months to do it right.

http://youtu.be/sEr8nU1bXjU
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gregs2.jpg (40.9 KB, 285 views)
Old April 14th, 2012, 01:09 PM
Administrator

Over the years I've seen all kinds of mishaps like the one you describe! But, it's racing and as carefull as we all try to be, it will still happen. We know better, but yet we will attempt to do it anyway.

So to everyone out there, may the car gods smile, watch, and look out for all of us.

Last edited by oldcutlass; April 14th, 2012 at 02:19 PM.
Old April 14th, 2012, 01:18 PM
car guy

I agree but this was 100% preventable
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:05 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Ya scared me straight. I'm not going to even chance that happening with my car.
On the flip sides:
1. How very fortunate that he wasn't hurt.

2. Hmmm, how do I put this at the risk of offending you? If you're the proud papa figure and mentor to this 'kid', and you could see the 'obvious flaw' why would you even let him try that if you 'knew' it would fail?? I don't get the 'I told you so' thing when this guy could have been killed. I hear you that this unfortunate accident was totally preventable, but you could have lost your best friend by not really being his best friend. I know that it may seem easy to sit here and write this, but the thoughts I'm putting down aren't that easy because of the respect I have for your car passions and life in general. If I read more into that post than I should have, I apologize.
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R

2. Hmmm, how do I put this at the risk of offending you? If you're the proud papa figure and mentor to this 'kid', and you could see the 'obvious flaw' why would you even let him try that if you 'knew' it would fail?? I don't get the 'I told you so' thing when this guy could have been killed. I hear you that this unfortunate accident was totally preventable, but you could have lost your best friend by not really being his best friend. I know that it may seem easy to sit here and write this, but the thoughts I'm putting down aren't that easy because of the respect I have for your car passions and life in general. If I read more into that post than I should have, I apologize.
I think you are Allan. He told the kid over and over not to race it like that. What's he gonna do, take the keys away? Sometimes the only way to convince someone of something is to have it happen to them.

I don't have to worry about this though, my 307 doesn't stand a chance of breaking the rear axlel. I'm more likely to get rearended entering the highway!
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:27 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Allan R
Ya scared me straight. I'm not going to even chance that happening with my car.
On the flip sides:
1. How very fortunate that he wasn't hurt.

The "Kid" is still 28 years old and is going to do what he is going to do. That being said hind site is 20/20. I have witnessed lots of cars break at the track with driveline and rear axle issues. Its usually a noise and the car does not move after. Worst case an axle breaks and car slides to a stop with a few sparks. I could have never imagined someone getting hurt only rolling 40-50 MPH like he almost did.

Even on this site I have seen people ask about using a 7.5" in a Gbody and I am the first to say never use the weak pieces of crap but there is alway someone the pipes up I used one and never had a problem or if you are carefull you will be fine ect ect.
Old April 14th, 2012, 02:28 PM
Administrator

I don't think anyone thought that it would have been a catastrophic failure that would lead to a life threatening disaster. I think the worst Richard thought, would have been a blown spool.

In life this is what is referred to as an unfortunate sequence of events. And I for one am glad no one was seriously injured.
Old April 14th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

I take many many risk's. i drove my car to the track and got caught on the highway with drag radials ! i missed my exit hydroplaned and went across 3 lanes of traffic missed getting hit and i nailed the wall. Im kinda glad my car has bolt in axles. I mentione my car has a leaky axle seal. I always check it and make sure its not leaking too bad to where i dont feel safe. Last year i adjusted my brakes like i always do before i hit the track and i found a leaking wheel cylinder. I think its a fear any of us who race or hit the track have. All we can do is hope everything does it's job because even well built cars have blown up rear ends and it has ended bad.
Old April 14th, 2012, 08:48 PM

I have posted a number of times, apparently to deaf ears, that it is not the price of the rear end, but the quarter panel, maybe the whole car, etc. Today's cars seem to go on with minimal maintenance, but our 40-50 year old hot rods need more attention. When you replace an anemic 307 with a good 455, save some money for the rest of the drivetrain.
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:30 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Motor racing is dangerous.

Both for competitors and spectators there is always risk involved.
That's why disclaimer notices are required at all UK venues and strict safety standards are enforced for higher levels of the sport, drag racing, circuit racing, bikes trucks or cars.
I've seen cars break in half at 200+ mph and bike riders slide down the track after coming off at very high speeds and seen with relief the drivers walk away. But not always, I have witnessed serious injury and fatalities as well.

After any serious accident race authorities review safety policies and amend safety requirements accordingly, that's why NHRA top fuel is run over 1000 feet now and cars have to be built to meet very high standards regarding driver protection. This can be expensive but if it saves one life worth every penny IMO.
But there is always the unexpected freak accident waiting to happen, your friend just had one. Luckily he wasn't hurt, he can buy another car but he is unique and irreplaceable. I bet his next car has a bombproof rear end but the danger is always there, it's part of the thrill of racing.

Roger.
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:23 AM

I was going to say something about the track and safetyrules.........but it was a test & tune and the tech guy couldn't know how fast he would go and probably the driver didn't either. No reason for axle retention in the eyes of the Tech guy.

In this day and age, tracks are very lax on enforcement, they are in need of money to stay open. A T&T is pure profit (almost) so unless it's really bad they won't turn any away unless it's blatant. So it is pretty much up to the racer to make sure his car is safe.

If this guy would have been hurt or killed.....it would have been his own fault.
Old April 15th, 2012, 11:31 AM
car guy

Here is the mishap.

Old April 15th, 2012, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
Here is the mishap.

Vid sucks.
Old April 15th, 2012, 12:11 PM
car guy

I know.... crappy camera phone. It was my first time to ever post a video to youtube. I now figured out how to edit out the last 15 seconds so its not quit as bad.
Old April 15th, 2012, 01:36 PM

Good advice, and yeah, no matter how hard you tried, the guy's going to do what he wants anyway. Thankfully he wasn't hurt, and he learned a practical lesson based on your good theory... I'll bet he's more open to experienced advice now too.
Old April 15th, 2012, 02:37 PM

Thanks Richard...I am putting an order in to Summit right now for a D/S safety loop. Partly because the San Antonio BOP is a sanctioned event and I won't be able to run without it, but mostly because this IS an eye opener.

I have a neighbor that needs a few "I told you so" moments before he is going to take any of my advice. Some people you just can't help, they have to ruin something before they get the idea.

Steve
Old April 18th, 2012, 02:59 PM
NôôB

WOWZA!!!!! and does this mean you are making it then Stephen?
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I will also chime in a TOLD YA SO!
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
I take many many risk's. i drove my car to the track and got caught on the highway with drag radials ! i missed my exit hydroplaned and went across 3 lanes of traffic missed getting hit and i nailed the wall. Im kinda glad my car has bolt in axles. I mentione my car has a leaky axle seal. I always check it and make sure its not leaking too bad to where i dont feel safe. Last year i adjusted my brakes like i always do before i hit the track and i found a leaking wheel cylinder. I think its a fear any of us who race or hit the track have. All we can do is hope everything does it's job because even well built cars have blown up rear ends and it has ended bad.
I have driven in the rain alot on BFG 275/60/15 Drag Radials on the rear of my Omega and never had any issues of hydroplaning.

I can see this happening if

(1) You are running a spool or have welded spider gears.
(2) Your Drag Radials are worn out past the wear bars and are basically slick.
(3) You drive too fast and don't pay attention to where you are going.
(4) You are driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or both.
(5) You can't drive worth a crap.
(6) All of the above.
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:26 PM

Nope i was running m/t et drag radials Unlike your bfg's which i have run before it has no real tread just some lines and some side sipes. I actually hydroplaned on a strecth of highway notorious for it . I was doing about 50 mph i felt the car wiggle a bit let off and i lost it. Dunno where you get off on telling me my mistake or trying to say how it happened or why. But just for giggles im happy to say i got a check for 5k and i fixed it for 2k kind of a mixed blessing i do body work i had it back on the road in a month . Your approach is a bit insulting.
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by SBORule
I can see this happening if

(1) You are running a spool or have welded spider gears.
(2) Your Drag Radials are worn out past the wear bars and are basically slick.
(3) You drive too fast and don't pay attention to where you are going.
(4) You are driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol or both.
(5) You can't drive worth a crap.
(6) All of the above.
That was just rude, Bruce.

It was also, I dare say, outside of the bounds of acceptable posting on this forum.

I hope that you consider your words more carefully in the future.

- Eric
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Nope i was running m/t et drag radials Unlike your bfg's which i have run before it has no real tread just some lines and some side sipes. I actually hydroplaned on a strecth of highway notorious for it . I was doing about 50 mph i felt the car wiggle a bit let off and i lost it. Dunno where you get off on telling me my mistake or trying to say how it happened or why. But just for giggles im happy to say i got a check for 5k and i fixed it for 2k kind of a mixed blessing i do body work i had it back on the road in a month . Your approach is a bit insulting.
Do you actually think before you post ?

Just re-read your two posting, along with the picture you provided and it's pretty ease for people to draw their own conclusions.

If I insulted you, though crap. When I see crap like you posted, I'm not usually this polite.
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:50 PM

yes i think do you ? I just think it's your way of looking at things i guess. Im not complaining im just saying things can happen . my actual first thought after i crashed is how quick can i fix it. I mean if you realize you are the only one who is saying im on drugs or drunk or an idiot behind the wheel. Who is the one who looks like the ___hole here.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 18th, 2012 at 07:56 PM.
Old April 18th, 2012, 07:52 PM

Btw what is your conclusion if i can ask ? If you where there and know how it happened let me know man.

Last edited by coppercutlass; April 18th, 2012 at 08:00 PM.
Old April 18th, 2012, 08:07 PM

Originally Posted by SBORule
Do you actually think before you post ?

Just re-read your two posting, along with the picture you provided and it's pretty ease for people to draw their own conclusions.

If I insulted you, though crap. When I see crap like you posted, I'm not usually this polite.
Bruce, Eric is right. Posts like yours are not acceptable. If you can't be more polite than just don't post. Move on to the next thread where you don't feel the need to flame another member. John
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:41 PM

Copper, just dismiss Frank Gorshin as a Richard Noggin and move on. He rarely has anything nice to say. If you like you can add him to your ignore list in the User CP.

Steve
Old April 18th, 2012, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by sicky olds
WOWZA!!!!! and does this mean you are making it then Stephen?
I have bad news for you sicky...I don't think I'm going to make it. I got my MRI results back last week and the cancer in my leg is growing again. I start a 6 week radiation cycle next Monday. I have to go every day (5 days a week) for 6 weeks. My appointment schedule has me receiving the treatments every day at 4:00 pm and the BOP starts at 6:00 pm.

Bummer, in more ways than you know.
Old April 19th, 2012, 04:07 AM

Steve, sorry to hear that. I wish you the best of luck.

Nick
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:32 AM
NôôB

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
I have bad news for you sicky...I don't think I'm going to make it. I got my MRI results back last week and the cancer in my leg is growing again. I start a 6 week radiation cycle next Monday. I have to go every day (5 days a week) for 6 weeks. My appointment schedule has me receiving the treatments every day at 4:00 pm and the BOP starts at 6:00 pm.

Bummer, in more ways than you know.
Sorry as well... Just have them start on the first . Either that or double dlse ya on thursday . And Lso, jere is another case of why the chatbox is good lol, thread temporarily high jacked... On to our normal topic at hand.

Seriously, why must people banter about other people like this in public... Does it make them feel better? And copper I know the feeling, I use street drag radials on my daily driver andwhen it is wet, look out. You would think they are like designed for that or something lmbo. Glad u were ok as well and got,her back up.
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:54 AM

Steve I hope you have a quick and safe recovery .
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:53 AM

That is to bad Steve, but take your time and get well...We can make a trip to Sealy or Baytown most anytime you will be able to race. Stepson and Grand Kids live in Dickinson so we have a place to stay, and Mrs. is always looking for an excuse to visit the Grand Babys....keep me posted.

Danny
Old April 19th, 2012, 09:56 AM
NôôB

Or am I hearing an STOC cruise to support a fellow olds lover?
Old April 19th, 2012, 06:46 PM

Copper, just dismiss Frank Gorshin as a Richard Noggin and move on. He rarely has anything nice to say. If you like you can add him to your ignore list in the User CP.

Steve

richard noggin Fricken hilarious!!!
Old April 19th, 2012, 07:18 PM
NOVICE car nut

There's an Ignore list ? lol I bet I'm being ignored right now . I guess what I mean is , be careful out there ! I've been seeing a lot of bad things happening on the road lately .... must be spring!
Old April 20th, 2012, 04:20 AM

This message is hidden because SBORule is on your ignore list.

I see this when Bruce posts.
Old April 20th, 2012, 06:04 PM

Steve, sorry to hear, but hope the treatment goes well.
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:15 PM

This should be a breeze compared to the 6 months of chemo I did last year. I'm more bummed that the 6 months of torture I went through was fruitless...let's hope the "definitive" radiation works.

P.S. definitive in medical terms means aggressive...they are giving me the lifetime dose of radiation in a 6 week period, guess I won't be able to go to any NBC zones anymore.
Old April 20th, 2012, 11:34 PM
NOVICE car nut

This should be a breeze compared to the 6 months of chemo I did last year. I'm more bummed that the 6 months of torture I went through was fruitless...let's hope the "definitive" radiation works.

P.S. definitive in medical terms means aggressive...they are giving me the lifetime dose of radiation in a 6 week period, guess I won't be able to go to any NBC zones anymore.
omg man , sorry I didn't catch this sooner ... I hope everything goes well . I too had a similiar situation about 10 yrs ago . I had to have 15 low dose radiation treatments for this skin cancer by my eye . They jammed a lead patch under my eyelid for every treatment and told me not to move 10 yrs later I can see that it may be coming back ... I sincerely hope everything goes well for you , and you'll be in my prayers.
Old August 11th, 2012, 04:57 AM

[QUOTE=gearheads78;394152]OK I witnessed something last night that,,,, Yup for sure he is very fortunate. I learned a long time ago what he is just now learning. When he is my age he may look back & wonder why he would ever do that. Speed cost $$$$ & headaches. As ive aged ive become a cruiser, wut i dont spend in parts I spend in co-pays. LMAO...When I wanna speed I break out the Harley...Glad nobody was hurt..
Old August 11th, 2012, 06:33 AM
car guy

Since this was brought back to the top as of last weekend the car is back together with a custom built 12bolt and Moser axles. He is still waiting on a drive shaft to have it all together.

Quick Reply: Could have lost a good friend tonight......how safe is your car? (added video)