General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Idiot Runs Red Light

Search this Thread

Old July 13th, 2012, 04:38 AM

Idiot Runs Red Light

This was on TV this morning and I also found it on the Internet. Too bad an innocent guy in a nice 80's Cutlass likely had his car destroyed due to someoneone who was clearly not paying attention. Hopefully the damages were limited to the cars. I just don't know where some poeple's heads are when they are driving.

http://gothamist.com/2012/07/12/vide...ptures_spe.php
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:37 AM

Usually texting or talking on the phone....
Old July 13th, 2012, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by cutlassjoe
Usually texting or talking on the phone....

The red light runner was charged with DUI.
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:37 AM

Originally Posted by Nilsson
The red light runner was charged with DUI.
I stand corrected or drinking..That's terrible
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:58 AM

And it just seems to get worse. People texting, using cell phones with no idea of what is going on around them, drinking and who knows what else. Innocent people get hurt from the poor decisions made by others and I would like to see more severe actions taken against those who do these stupid things. It just makes my blood boil when I read in the paper how someone was convicted of their 3rd, 7th and even saw once, 10th, drunk driving offense. Something is seriously wrong when this stuff continues to happen.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:15 AM
Oldsdruid

How much you wanna bet the idiot who caused it had no insurance, on top of everything else?

I am rapidly losing patience with idiot drivers. I encounter one in a red Honda every morning who will tailgate you to point you cannot see its headlights, and then pass you in curves, on blind hills, anywhere common sense would tell you not to attempt passing another vehicle. Will then invariably hit the shoulder, overcorrect and cross back into oncoming lane before straightening it out and hauling *** away at 70+ mph on a 2-lane road, that the 55 mph speed limit on it for once does make sense. It's narrow, it's curvy, and a lot of wildlife out there.

I'm waiting for the day I run up on a head-on crash this idiot has caused, and pray that I or one of my co-workers are not involved in it.

Pisses me off because at least seven people at my work have called this car's plate in to both VA and NC law enforcement, yet we never see a LE presence out there to catch it. One of the guys had had enough earlier this week and brake-checked this Honda when it was so close he could not see its headlights in his mirror. Sent it tearing out thru someone's yard, but the fool got back on the road and went right back doing it again.

No patience for idiot or impaired drivers. Penalties cannot be severe enough for causing a crash like this one when driving under the influence of whatever.

Maybe the liability should fall back on the lawyers who get these people out of DUI convictions. Let 'em cause a crash with multiple DUI arrests on their record, go after the lawyer who got them off.
Old July 13th, 2012, 11:55 AM
NOVICE car nut

Originally Posted by 69442C
And it just seems to get worse. People texting, using cell phones with no idea of what is going on around them, drinking and who knows what else. Innocent people get hurt from the poor decisions made by others and I would like to see more severe actions taken against those who do these stupid things. It just makes my blood boil when I read in the paper how someone was convicted of their 3rd, 7th and even saw once, 10th, drunk driving offense. Something is seriously wrong when this stuff continues to happen.
I made the call to the local police dept a few times to report people texting WHILE driving , and the officer told me " Frankly there's nothing we can do about it , unless we catch them in the act , or they admit it ." so I gave up on that one .... BUT , someone assumed drunk on the other hand is different I would think , because the officer would find all that out after he or she pulled the person over . People really drive bad today it seems .
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:32 PM

We had a personal experience on Tuesday of this week related to idiots on the road doing things in the car that take their attention away from driving. My daughter (26) called me around 4:30pm Tuesday and when I answered she was upset. She told me she was just involved in an accident and they EMT's were taking her to the hospital. Not the kind of call one wants to get. She was at a light with a pick-up in front of her and 2 cars behind her. Some kid came down the road and blasted into the back of the last car in line. Overall it was a 5 car pile up and all 5 vehciles had damage. Quite a wreck. She was second from the front. 3 people were transported to the hospital and the 2 people behind my daughter were obviously hurt and unable to get out of their cars on their own. My daughter had some back and neck pain but she is fine, thankfully. 4 hours at the ER though since not much was happening quickly there. Her 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee is a little worse for wear but not too bad overall...probably in the $4K range of damage. The kid was cited for negligent driving and there was some talk at the scene that he was probably texting. The little bit of humor in this is my daughter, who like her dad appreciates a nice car, wouldn't let the EMT's take her away until they told her what was happening with her car. They said they would tow it and she told them absolutely not and that no one was authorized to do so. Finally the EMT got one of the police officers to move the car into a parking lot and take the keys back to the police station where we later got them. She later told us that she was glad she was in her big a** Jeep. Now, just down to the insurance and repairs.
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:32 PM

Drunk Driving

I have no patience for drunk driving. If you are swerving on the road and I see you, rest assure I will follow you while on the phone with police until you are pulled over or wreck. Here's why, two fatal head on collisions (5 Dead) on Interstate 45 in The Woodlands Texas, within 2 days of each other:

Houston (The Woodlands) June 29, 2012:

http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/?p=47383

MUG Shot of DWI offender / murderer -
http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/?p=47397
http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/?p=47413

Houston (The Woodlands) July 1, 2012:

http://montgomerycountypolicereporter.com/?p=47601
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Just looked at the horrifying video. What strikes me as a divine providence is that if the Cutlass had been going just 1 mph faster, the driver would prolly have been dead.

Up here if I call 911 and report a DUI or someone texting? They take it serious. We have new 'Distracted Driving Legislation' that covers this. All the police have to do to confirm the person was texting while driving is ask to see her phone. They can correlate the complaint time to the text messaging and get confirmation that way.

69442C I so glad your daughter wasn't seriously hurt. Stuff like that is becoming far too frequent. And the result is innocent people are becoming the victims.

Drinking and driving is a crime. We all know that. But the problem is that the legal system and courts continue to let slobbering drunks off with a small rap on the knuckles. I saw a report on "Dateline" and the reporter (Josh Claussen??) summarized his report saying something along the lines of "If you want to kill someone and get away with it? The best way is use a car..." That is just sickening.

We have the same problems in Canada. Slobbering drunks behind the wheel kill innocent pedestrians. The courts need to grow a pair and lock these idiot drivers up. Better yet? I consider drinking and driving 'pre-meditated'. IMO a fatality resulting from the deliberate act to DUI should result in the death penalty. A life for a life. Ya think that wouldn't sober a few stupid morons up?? KNOWING they could be killed if they killed someone? Maybe I'm too extreme, but I have no tolerance for letting someone cop a plea that they weren't in their proper frame of mind. They KNEW BEFORE THEY STARTED DRINKING, and that's good enough in my court!
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:07 PM

People who drink and drive are habitual. It's not like one day they just go drinking and then decide they need to go cruising. Responsible drinkers make a conscious decision that if they're going to drink, they have a designated driver or they'll drink at home.

If someone doesn't have the capacity to make that decision then it is obvious that they have the moral latitude that would make them think it's ok to drink and drive.

The reason for my argument is that I think it would be justified to convict a DWI Murder as 1st Degree murder...And therefore, OFF WITH YOUR HEAD!
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:23 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Steve, I'm with ya! + your argument seems logical and sound to me. I'd vote for you any day! You just have to get the laws to include that charge. Right now I don't think anywhere in the world has a murder by car charge. A Vehicular Homicide charge is a joke by today's standard. Good slime ball lawyer will have the client out in less than 15 minutes and get an injunction against the arresting police precinct.

Now the big problem is keeping the habitual DUI's off the road because now it's just not happening. There are deterrents, like breathalyser locks on ignition, but none of this seems to be effective especially when they just use a different car. These idiots need to be accountable, and right now they're not. Your solution would certainly solve a lot of the problems with overcrowding in state prisons. How about including this as a sentence - ship them all off to LA, TX, IN or someplace to clean out snake and gator problems for 15 years? Make em sweat that booze right out of their system and scare em straight if they survive that long.
Old July 13th, 2012, 01:51 PM

Can you imagine spending hundreds and hundreds of hours restoring your car only to have an idiot destroy all that hard work in seconds. My first reaction would be to cry and then to get really angry with a baseball bat
Old July 13th, 2012, 04:32 PM

Is it me or did it look like the guy flipped his hands up after the car landed like he was pissed off?

If I was the guy in the "green light" car, and I saw that, I would proceed to walk over to his car, pull him out, and beat the ever living **** out of him. Sorry you do that to me, you're not walking away with "minor injuries"