General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Identify orinigal steering box

Search this Thread

Old January 8th, 2020, 07:55 AM

Identify orinigal steering box

Gents
Is there a way to identify the steering box on a 69 Cutlass? I believe mines not orginal but have nothing to compare it against, I have the numbers GP50004 and 500 Series stamped on it.

The steerings shocking and I have replaced everything from the box to the wheels, which has made an improvement but its still not right, so once I've had the laser alignment done I'm looking to the box as a potential culprit

TIA
Aaron
Old January 8th, 2020, 01:26 PM

Hi Aaron, are we talking manual steering or power ?

If power, I have the original unit that was swapped out of my ride. I can take a pic later if it will help.
Old January 9th, 2020, 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by 69CSHC
Hi Aaron, are we talking manual steering or power ?

If power, I have the original unit that was swapped out of my ride. I can take a pic later if it will help.
Hi Phil
Its power steering and a pic might be of great help.
Thank you
Old January 10th, 2020, 01:48 PM

1969 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme Holiday Coupe, original power steering unit.

Old January 11th, 2020, 10:00 AM

Thanks for those, think I can safely mine isnt original based on the pics
Old January 11th, 2020, 11:29 AM

Aaron, it looks like you have an aftermarket unit from Classic Performance Products (CPP). Here is what I come up with when I run your numbers.

Old January 11th, 2020, 11:37 AM

Aaron, it looks like you have an aftermarket unit from Classic Performance Products (CPP). Here is what I come up with when I run your numbers.

Top man, Thank you for this Phil. Doesnt explain why my steerings not right but certainly stops me replacing the box at the moment.
Old January 11th, 2020, 12:44 PM

Your welcome, when you say shocking, does it feel loose or sloppy ?

My cars steering has a bit of excessive play. Turns out my center link needs replacing. This part below.

​​​​​​

​​​https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pro...ter-link/11315
Old January 11th, 2020, 01:14 PM

Your welcome, when you say shocking, does it feel loose or sloppy ?

My cars steering has a bit of excessive play. Turns out my center link needs replacing. This part below.

​​​​​​

​​​https://www.thepartsplaceinc.com/pro...ter-link/11315
Feels loose, if you dont really concentrate on steering when driving, the car wanders and when you put power down its difficult to hold in a straight line. I've replaced that bar, all the tie rods and the idler arm with new Moog parts as most were very worn and I had hoped, that would have cured it but no. Wheel bearings are fine as well. So next stage is 4 wheel alignment, need to anyway after changing tie rods etc. It also feels 'jerky' when reversing on full lock and doesnt like turning sharply at parking speeds at all, almost feels like the front tyres are flat.
I've not had her long and the trouble is shes had so many upgrades, Wilwood discs alround, hotchkiss sports suspension, 18" wheels, which I also now find rubbing the lower arms, so I'm thinking spacers on the front, I'm checking everything and have no reference to anything apart from you Guys on here or as much info as I can on the web, I do have the Chassis Manual though.
Old January 11th, 2020, 03:37 PM

Going to get that wheel alignment may be a blessing in disguise for you, and may only cost you a nice tip for some sound advice as was the case for me.

My car drives pretty straight and feels fine for the most part, although I do get a bit of a rumble at high speeds. Just for peace of mind I went to get an alignment, they did a visual inspection before anything. He jacked the front of my car up and grabbed the front tire at 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock and jostled the wheel back and forth. When shaken with some force the wheel has a bit more play than it should. He showed me where the concerns were, and recommended not wasting money on the alignment till the issue has been addressed.

My center links fittings are worn and the grease fitting is broken, no amount of adjustment will remedy that.

In your case maybe the new parts just need to be more properly calibrated and a extensive alignment will do the trick.

Last edited by 69CSHC; January 11th, 2020 at 03:44 PM. Reason: wording