General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

I"m ticked!

Search this Thread

Old June 9th, 2010, 02:56 PM

I"m ticked!

I do not know if this link will work, but in a nutshell, I have AAA tow my gold Toronado to my father shop to be worked on (eletrical draw somewhere, the starter might be on its way out).
Anyhow, I need to have my silver Toronado moved from my garage.
Well the young tow truck driver who moved it ( this will get Rocketradier's attention) was TOO BUSY talking on his cell phone (ie he can not mutil-task). He had the ramp too high, DROPPED the Toronado, bent the front valvance panel, dent my vintage yellow 1968 Maine lincse plate (front plate) broke both plastic sheild guards (this is between teh front bumper and grills), cracked a front lense, and chipped a taillight. A flat slate rock was wedged between the left tail pipe and rear bumper.
I do not know if there is any chassic and/or exhaust damage. The right front fender almost kissed my wooden post. He tired to shy away for the blame (ie "ther is no damage here", "it does look that bad").

AND to top it off the tow truck driver dented my front wheel cover and linsce plate of my gold Toronado.
Grrr !!!

https://mail.google.com/mail/?shva=1...8c56380792d39f

Last edited by toro68; June 9th, 2010 at 03:11 PM.
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:04 PM

What about?
Old June 9th, 2010, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by ddx77
What about?
Damage to two of my Toronados.
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:51 PM

Unbelievable, sorry to hear that. Sounds like my kind of luck.
Old June 9th, 2010, 05:53 PM

Man, that's too bad. I'd be making sure that they repair any damage.
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:17 PM
Cutlass Lover

Well that's just terrible! I'd be plenty mad too. I sure hope they make it right for you. There's no excuse for carelessness - especially with these old cars that parts are so hard to find for.
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:28 PM

have you contacted them (his boss) about it? i hate to hear of those kinds of problems.
Old June 9th, 2010, 06:38 PM
GM Enthusiast

Sorry to hear about that. Don't those companies carry insurance in case something like that happens so you can get your cars fixed at their expense?
Old June 9th, 2010, 09:01 PM

That sucks, sorry to hear that. Had it been my car....I would be in jail waiting bail!
Old June 10th, 2010, 04:31 AM

That's obviously unacceptable. I would have been hot right up until the point that tow truck driver looked at my car after he DROPPED it and said, "S'all good, yo," and then I would have come UN-F'N-GLUED!

Take LOTS of pictures, and hopefully you have several 'before' shots. This should be a fairly easy case to make, but it always helps to prove that each part wasn't already broken.

I think cell phones are one of the most annoying advances of our time. I work with people that are on their cell phone 6 hours of an 8 hour shift... multitasking... of course. Some folks can't peel that thing off their ear long enough to give you the time of day. I have no patience for those folks.

That's heartbreaking to hear. Best of luck getting it all sorted out.
Old June 10th, 2010, 04:48 AM
Past Administrator

That is really bad news but seems it is a cut-n-dry situation to me. Purely from a business standpoint, AAA will have to make good on the repairs. That company is so huge with such a long record of customer service I think it won't be difficult to get support from them. Now, being able to find the parts to do the repair.....that might be hard. Good luck.
Old June 10th, 2010, 04:59 AM

" I'm ticked"

As well you should be. There is no excuse for this kind of thing happening.
Old June 10th, 2010, 06:08 AM

That is heinous!
Old June 10th, 2010, 06:38 AM

Start Putting together some parts prices and working up an estimate for repairs. Tow company should be liable for damage. Start w/ them & if you meet ANY resistance then get right on the phone to AAA. Might be a good idea to get something in writing stating the vehicle was damaged right in front of you, circumstances surrounding driver's attention deficit & distraction. Note items damaged, document w/ pictures. Send it via registered mail w/ return receipt. Do this immediately.

Once tow company has received the letter you should stop down & talk to the owner. Hopefully by that time you will have an estimate ready that you can present him. You will know within a minute or two whether you have a fight on your hands or not. If it is gonna be a fight I would call AAA from the tow office. If no fight, work w/ him to keep a smooth repair & payment process, keep it between you 2 & each of you go your separate way after successful closure. If things go well, remember that he was a standup guy & use him in the future, just remember to inform them they need to send their best, most experienced driver if you need one of your unfamiliar, classic cars picked up.

Good Luck, I hope they make things right for you without a hassle.

Last edited by bccan; June 10th, 2010 at 06:40 AM.
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:20 AM

They were handling the car, play with the phone, and dropped it - 100% his fault. These are classic, collectible cars so he or his company is responsible for the damage. I am sure AAA should use insured companies to tow, so get a price list for all the parts needed, as well as a shop labor estimate to repair and repaint as needed. This should all work out, esp since AAA is involved and dispatched that company.
Stupid tow truck driver...
Old June 10th, 2010, 08:58 AM

Geez! AAA has always done right by me, but I know they do a lot of these things through subcontractors. Hopefully they can hold his feet to the fire and get this taken care of properly! Good Luck Jerry, keep us posted!
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:55 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 442much
Man, that's too bad. I'd be making sure that they repair any damage.
You are darn right they are! Like almost $280 for an NOS signal light lens!
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by kartmaster
That's obviously unacceptable. I would have been hot right up until the point that tow truck driver looked at my car after he DROPPED it and said, "S'all good, yo," and then I would have come UN-F'N-GLUED!

Take LOTS of pictures, and hopefully you have several 'before' shots. This should be a fairly easy case to make, but it always helps to prove that each part wasn't already broken.

I think cell phones are one of the most annoying advances of our time. I work with people that are on their cell phone 6 hours of an 8 hour shift... multitasking... of course. Some folks can't peel that thing off their ear long enough to give you the time of day. I have no patience for those folks.

I took picutres. I could not get the link up. I'll try this weekend to get some photos up.
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by 71supreme
Geez! AAA has always done right by me, but I know they do a lot of these things through subcontractors. Hopefully they can hold his feet to the fire and get this taken care of properly! Good Luck Jerry, keep us posted!
The gold Toro is in your hometown right now. You can see for youself the dented wheelcover.
Old June 10th, 2010, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
have you contacted them (his boss) about it? i hate to hear of those kinds of problems.
The boss was super rude to me on the phone, AAA told me the kid got canned.

Last edited by toro68; June 12th, 2010 at 03:59 PM.
Old June 10th, 2010, 04:19 PM

I am sick of these Freakin' cell phones and I don't even own one.
Bummer!!@!
Old June 10th, 2010, 07:48 PM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

The companies are "independent contract stations" that you'll have to deal with directly. I used to work for one that always tried to play off damage caused by drivers and since it being an "old" car, you can bet he'll try to play it off if what you said about how rude he was already is true. Prepare for a fight. Document document document!!
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:31 AM

The boss was super rude to me on teh phone, AAA told me teh kid got canned.
BUMMER! I would get a lawyer STAT!
Old June 11th, 2010, 06:27 AM
Captain of my ship

Bad news for sure. You need to find out who their insurance company is and they should be sending someone out to document the damage. they are required to carry adequate insurance. The owner may want to try to settle without going through insurance and if so you need to have all costs for parts and repairs well documented and any agreement written up and signed by both parties. That way if he backs out you can sue him on Judge Judy.
Old June 11th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Ca's Only Official OLZNUT

Don't go the lawyer route yet, that would just make the boss less willing to work it out. Complaints on contract stations jeopardize their rating and ability to retain said contract. Be reasonable, it wasn't the boss that damaged your ride. Go man to man first and if he balks at anything, then get the lawyer. Oh, beware of taking it to "their" body shop, they'll do it cheap in more ways than one.......
Old June 11th, 2010, 01:51 PM

I worked for AAA for 8 years in Road Service and Insurance, There is a AAA field manager that will mediate with the contracted company or AAA owned tow truck in some cases.
AAA should know immediately there is damage so they can send the field guy to the shop .

66 Olznut is correct the complaints are a big issue with contracted tow companies.

Let me know if you need any other info.

Last edited by 501Paratrooper; June 11th, 2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:05 PM

Exclamation

Originally Posted by 66 Olznut
The companies are "independent contract stations" that you'll have to deal with directly. I used to work for one that always tried to play off damage caused by drivers and since it being an "old" car, you can bet he'll try to play it off if what you said about how rude he was already is true. Prepare for a fight. Document document document!!
You hit the nail on the head. The owner of the towing company, did not believe me about teh cracked front lense, taillight, front sheilds, etc.

Also somebody has not be honesty. The Claims company said" your claim on teh gold Toronado has been settled". BULL - have gotten nothing (ie replacement wheel cover and front lincse plate). Boy that made me mad. And to think AAA and Dirct Towing refered to my silver Toronado as a "parts car". I broke the news to them that both cars have full coverage!
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by wolfman98
Bad news for sure. You need to find out who their insurance company is and they should be sending someone out to document the damage. they are required to carry adequate insurance. The owner may want to try to settle without going through insurance and if so you need to have all costs for parts and repairs well documented and any agreement written up and signed by both parties. That way if he backs out you can sue him on Judge Judy.
That is what AAA wanted me to do. My insuer (State Farm) told me , do not feel bad to make a claim. Or in this case - claims!
Old June 12th, 2010, 04:09 PM

Originally Posted by kartmaster

Less than 5 minutes after the crash with the silver 68, I took photos - Jonnhy-On-The-Spot!
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Registered

You need to document and take photos before something happens. They can say it was like that before and you have no proof except for your word it wasn't otherwise.
Use a film camera and put a copy of the latest issue of the newspaper in the pic to prove the date. My car appraiser told me to do it every six months and after any changes or work. I asked her why only film and she told me they only use film because digital images can be manipulated too easily, especially dates, and aren't real good for photographic evidence in court.
Old June 12th, 2010, 06:12 PM

Thank you Bluevista, that is a great advice!
On the valance panel, not only is it bent from the drop, you can also see the scrape marks from the metal platform of the ramp/rollback truck.
Old June 27th, 2010, 08:40 AM

OUCH!

what else needs be said?
Old August 3rd, 2012, 11:59 AM

File the claim with your insurance company, if you haven't already. They will get it fixed with better oversight (you are their customer) then subrogate the costs to the tow company's insurer. Along the way file a complaint with AAA. Let the owner know what's going on every step of the way.
Old August 5th, 2012, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by sdcarguy
File the claim with your insurance company, if you haven't already. They will get it fixed with better oversight (you are their customer) then subrogate the costs to the tow company's insurer. Along the way file a complaint with AAA. Let the owner know what's going on every step of the way.
X2 I just finished my claim and ran everything through my own insurance company(Grundy ) even though the shop's insurance tried hard to have me by-pass them. With your own insurance behind you you won't be unknowingly taken advantaged of.... Tedd
Old August 5th, 2012, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by sdcarguy
Seeing as how this thread was dead since June of 2010 I'm pretty sure whatever had to be done has already been done lmao!
Old August 5th, 2012, 05:39 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
lmao!
Me too!

At least it's amusing when the dead are reanimated like this.

My thanks to Dr. Frankenstein!

- Eric
Old August 5th, 2012, 05:41 PM

I just hate it when I read half the damn thing before I realize it...haha!
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:26 PM

Dohhhh!
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:31 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

People take no pride in their work anymore, what a shame@!

Hehehhe Dead threads - whats up with that =.-
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by bdub217
Dafauq!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry to hear such a horrible thing happen to your cars because someone wasn't doing their job. People take no pride in their work anymore, what a shame@!
Read the last few posts...this thread was from 2010.

Quick Reply: I"m ticked!