General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Hydro-Boost Noise

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2019, 08:54 AM

Hydro-Boost Noise

OK - I put a hydro-boost on my '71 Cutlass Supreme to get better braking power. When I accelerate,a noise is created that sounds as iff a fan belt is slipping and "catches up". It starts as a high pitched squeel, then lowers in frequency until it stops. Belt is tight and dry. Brakes work fine. Almost sounds like it is associated with the hydro boost building pressure. Any one have any ideas or had this problem before?
Old May 18th, 2019, 03:27 AM

Sounds like you need a insulator on a metal hose, check to make sure all lines are not resting on the body, I ran hydro boost for years and never had that problem, My motor home is still using a hydro boost that I installed (1973 Barth)
Old May 20th, 2019, 08:45 AM

It's the belt. Or the pump itself. Do you have 1 or 2 belts on your power steering pump? Might want to convert to the A/C style belts if you don't have that so you get two on the PS pump. And put as much pressure as you can on the sucker when setting the belt.
Note that the Hydraboost puts a whole lot more load on the PS pump than the steering gear ever did, and it sucks all the pressure when you press the pedal. You can stall out the engine by slamming the pedal all the way to the floor - the PS pump literally locks up due to back pressure.
Old May 20th, 2019, 08:51 AM

That explains it, thank you. This weekend I realized as I was powering through a turn that I could feel the steering wheel "pulse".

Do you feel that there is any need to replace the PS pump? I have noticed on other threads that it was suggested. I will convert over to the A/C style belt as you suggested as a minimum. Thanks again
Old May 20th, 2019, 09:29 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Did you make sure all the air is out of the lines?
My pump and belts were making a lot of noise after I installed the hydroboost, even though I made sure to bleed all the air out of the lines. I felt the steering pulse when driving, especially when pressing the brakes while turning.

It all went away after driving around some 20-30 miles. I would try driving around some more to make sure all the air is out. I also drilled a small hole in the reservoir cap to allow it to vent.

Last edited by 70cutty; May 20th, 2019 at 09:37 AM.
Old May 21st, 2019, 06:57 AM

Man...... the hell I've been through with PS pumps.
I tried four different N-pumps (dry with remote reservoir but mount like the old pump) but they all whined. Tried feed modifications, different cans, different feed routings, etc etc.
Then switch to a cheapy Summit pump. They appear to be reboxed Tuff Stuff pumps. Made lots of noise.
Now I'm running a pump from PSC. But what I found there is they run a custom sized can with an extra thick o-ring.
I've easily R&R'd the pump on this thing 20 times over the past 5 years.
I've torn down every one and experimented with every modification the rock crawler guys do. Haven't found any benefit.

Also watch out because anything you buy will likely have a mix of SAE and metric fasteners. Check all the holes before mounting anything.
Don't bother with the generic rebuilders. Only pain and suffering lies that way.

If I was to do it again, I would just drop the coin for a complete PSC unit. I would not buy Tuff Stuff - which is sad as I've always like their electrical components.