I'm 100% stumped.

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:27 AM

I'm 100% stumped.

Ok, I've had a few posts on here about belt noise/whine etc. I've followed previous posts about belt tension and the advice of Mr. Padavano regarding the PS pump. Here is the info and questions I have: 83 Hurst/Olds, new ps pump/pulley, new alternator, all new belts. Hayden HD fan clutch. AIR pump and ac belts NOT attached. The vechical was at a body shop from a front end impact and they put on a new PS pump for me. It's been shimmed with washers (about 8) when bolted on. When the car gets to operating temperature and idle I get belt noise (not loud chirps but a continuous faint high pitched noise. The Sound: if you were wearing "swooshy" running pants and rubbed your legs together. My dad (hasn't looked) but suggests the belt alignment/geometry may be incorrect. The belts do not show wear and no pulley shows "polished". The noise manifested after the install of the fan clutch and when I shut off the motor I get a "squawk" as if I was stopping a rotating metal piece that wasn't interested is stopping.

Questions: Does the water pump hub contain bearings that may have worn?
What is the best way to check for proper belt geometry?
What is the best way to tighten an alternator belt? Because the pull up method does not feel to scientific.
The hayden clutch came with a metal adapter "sleeve" for the install. I used it because it fit, am I wrong?

I am off all day and can quickly respond to counter questions, take pictures etc etc. I really am grateful for the help because this sound is driving me nuts.

Thanks
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:30 AM
Chevy budget Olds powered

Have you tried running it with out the belt ? And tried turning things individually to feel for rough turning etc. Yes the water pump has bearings.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 10:50 AM
Mr. Johnson

Have you tried running it with out the belt ?
x2 go one by one till it stops to narrow it down.
you can get a belt tension gauge but most people when they see the price find the pull tight method much better of a option.
Old October 23rd, 2013, 12:44 PM
Old(s) Fart

Both the water pump and the fan clutch have bearings that can make noise.

Belt alignment can be checked by using a straight edge to visually check alignment, however access is usually pretty bad, making this difficult to do correctly.

I'm more concerned about the "shimmed with washers" comment, since there were obviously no washer shims from the factory. This usually makes me think the PS pump spacers are not correctly installed, resulting in misalignment.

I've found the best way to tension the alternator belt on the 307 is to use a screwdriver from under the car.
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by coppercutlass
Have you tried running it with out the belt ? And tried turning things individually to feel for rough turning etc. Yes the water pump has bearings.

I have run the motor without belts and still get some noise. Question: With the motor off, if I grab the belts and turn them by hand, How much resistance should I feel?

...I really want an LS motor.
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Both the water pump and the fan clutch have bearings that can make noise.

Belt alignment can be checked by using a straight edge to visually check alignment, however access is usually pretty bad, making this difficult to do correctly.

I'm more concerned about the "shimmed with washers" comment, since there were obviously no washer shims from the factory. This usually makes me think the PS pump spacers are not correctly installed, resulting in misalignment.

I've found the best way to tension the alternator belt on the 307 is to use a screwdriver from under the car.
I agree the washers were disconcerting. I have had no slips or issues with the PS pump. One thing that keeps sticking in my mind, the noise does not surface until we get to operating temperature..does that peg the water pump?
Old October 24th, 2013, 07:57 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

If you still get the sound with the belts off, then it's not the water pump, or anything else that is turned by a belt.

You need to look within.

... Or consider possible very small vacuum or exhaust leaks.

- Eric
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:24 AM

If you remove the fan clutch, does the sound go away? Might be getting close to the fan shroud.... You have a newer Olds than mine, but the fan clutch operates on temp and engages as the engine temp rises... you said in original post it started happening after you installed one.... might want to look at your motor mounts as well, if they go bad, your motor sags down and fan might contact the shroud...
Old October 24th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by kitfoxdave
If you remove the fan clutch, does the sound go away?
He said the sound occurs with no belts on the car, so the fan clutch is irrelevant.

- Eric
Old October 24th, 2013, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
I have: 83 Hurst/Olds, new ps pump/pulley, new alternator, all new belts.
====================

I have an 85 442, its alt. is tightened by use of a long tap screw. No prying.

Why was a pulley replaced?

Why not use the proper spacers? they are not impossible to find. We need a sticky with that PS pump mtg diagram that everyone needs all the time.