General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

how to use hard top frame under a convertible

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2022, 12:21 AM

how to use hard top frame under a convertible

Hello everyone. I have a 1967 cutlass convertible with a rusted frame. I have a chance to buy a good frame from a hard top. I know the frames are different because of the boxed in sections on the convertible. But is there a way to fabricate my own reinforcement boxes? If so. what do I need to do? how thick should the metal be? How long? Please give me all the details on what needs to be done. this may be a dumb question but are the boxes available to purchase? Thank you for your help
Old April 18th, 2022, 01:48 AM

There are kits out there.
This one looks pretty substantial.
https://www.chevyhardcore.com/tech-s...-from-hellwig/
Old April 18th, 2022, 04:36 AM
Old(s) Fart

None of the aftermarket boxing kits correctly replicate a factory convertible frame. If the rust on your original frame is confined to the part that is common with the HT frame, cut the boxing sections from the old frame and weld them to the new one.
The first photo is the 68-72 frame. The others are 64-67. Note the welded-on tabs for the crossmember on the early frames. Note that the aftermarket kit doesn't really match this.

Old April 18th, 2022, 05:41 AM

HEy Joe...is that a standard cross member on the last frame?
The one that I got with my convertible frame looks more like a pinched tube than a stamped one.
What's the difference?
Old April 18th, 2022, 07:00 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Rallye469
HEy Joe...is that a standard cross member on the last frame?
The one that I got with my convertible frame looks more like a pinched tube than a stamped one.
What's the difference?
The tube style crossmember is Chebby. Olds used the stamped flat "hat section" crossmember as shown in the photo.
Old April 18th, 2022, 07:19 AM

The transmission crossmembers I have seen on Oldsmobiles were stamped. I have seen the tubular type on Chevy frames, and they are a couple pounds lighter. I have one for a 68-72 and it will fit on an Olds fine. All the convertible crossmembers are shorter than hardtop ones.
Old April 22nd, 2022, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
None of the aftermarket boxing kits correctly replicate a factory convertible frame. If the rust on your original frame is confined to the part that is common with the HT frame, cut the boxing sections from the old frame and weld them to the new one.
The first photo is the 68-72 frame. The others are 64-67. Note the welded-on tabs for the crossmember on the early frames. Note that the aftermarket kit doesn't really match this.

Joe do you think a welding shop could box in the hard top frame the way its supposed to be or is tat a question for the shop
Old April 22nd, 2022, 03:56 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by KcPaul
Joe do you think a welding shop could box in the hard top frame the way its supposed to be or is tat a question for the shop
The factory reinforcements are stamped to a complex shape. If the shop has a set of original reinforcements, welding them in is easy. Fabricating new reinforcements from plate stock is likely more expensive than just buying a good frame.
Old April 22nd, 2022, 07:31 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The factory reinforcements are stamped to a complex shape. If the shop has a set of original reinforcements, welding them in is easy. Fabricating new reinforcements from plate stock is likely more expensive than just buying a good frame.
Thats what i was thinking. Thank you Joe
Old April 22nd, 2022, 10:21 PM

The hellwig kit is just over 500 bucks. There is a guy in Texas that sells frames powder coated ready to go for 3k. I just sold a rusted 67 convertible to a guy in Chicago. There is a guy that has a good frame in Cincinnati but it won’t be available for a month or two he said a few weeks ago. He only wanted 300 bucks for the convertible frame. He’s on Cincinnati Craigslist.
Old April 23rd, 2022, 07:25 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 65droptop
The hellwig kit is just over 500 bucks. There is a guy in Texas that sells frames powder coated ready to go for 3k. I just sold a rusted 67 convertible to a guy in Chicago. There is a guy that has a good frame in Cincinnati but it won’t be available for a month or two he said a few weeks ago. He only wanted 300 bucks for the convertible frame. He’s on Cincinnati Craigslist.
And the Hellwig kit is not the same as a factory convertible frame. The collateral damage to lines, body mounts, etc all takes time and money to fix.
Old August 21st, 2022, 09:47 AM

Do you have the information for the guy in Texas with the powder coated frames?