General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

how to safely remove this

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2012, 06:09 PM

how to safely remove this

When i purchased my Cutlass, the PO just had the vinyl top redone. The installer did a decent job however, he left some glue on the top of the vinyl. What can I use to safetly remove the glue without damaging the vinyl top?

IMG_0720-1.jpg

Last edited by classicjoe; August 1st, 2012 at 06:11 PM.
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:47 PM
Arrrggggg

Spot test some adhesive remove and see if it will hurt the top if not have at it. Could also try a little lighter fluid or goof off. Not sure if there is any area u can try that won't be noticeable. Be better if you had some left over top material to test on.
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:49 PM

3m adhiesive remover might work just have to get a towel wet and hold it over the area to soften the glue. Will it come off if you pic at it?
Old August 1st, 2012, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by gbodyfan
3m adhiesive remover might work just have to get a towel wet and hold it over the area to soften the glue. Will it come off if you pic at it?
The glue is stiff and hard and wont come off. I've already tried some Goo Gone and some other adhiesive remover and it wont even soften up.
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:13 PM

If you can get it, Tolulene should cut it without destroying the vinyl.
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:28 PM

Goof off is toluene, may have some aromatics but it is almost all toluene. I would call the shop that did the work if they are that sloppy all the time they must know how to remove, fix their mistakes... Tedd
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
If you can get it, Tolulene should cut it without destroying the vinyl.
Thanks Funkwagon455 for the reply...I looked up Tolulene and this stuff is serious. It looks like its strong enough to remove the glue but also may harm the vinyl in the process. I will keep this option open if no other safer method is available....Home Depot and Sherwin Williams both sells Tolulene, it goes for about $6.00 a gal....
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:41 PM

Also, goo gone is NOT goof off, goo gone is citrus based and good for sticker adhesive, goof off is much more aggressive. Goof Off is available at most department stores or home improvement stores in the paint section. Get some gloves to deal with it while your there. If the vinyl starts to feel soft, or kind of rubbery after a while, stop and give the top a chance to dry out a bit (harden up). The stuff works great but just be aware of the potential of melting off more than excessive adhesive. Good luck.
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Tedd Thompson
Goof off is toluene, may have some aromatics but it is almost all toluene. I would call the shop that did the work if they are that sloppy all the time they must know how to remove, fix their mistakes... Tedd
Ted, I purchased the car with the vinyl top already installed. Looks like Toluene may me my only option.
Old August 1st, 2012, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
Also, goo gone is NOT goof off, goo gone is citrus based and good for sticker adhesive, goof off is much more aggressive. Goof Off is available at most department stores or home improvement stores in the paint section. Get some gloves to deal with it while your there. If the vinyl starts to feel soft, or kind of rubbery after a while, stop and give the top a chance to dry out a bit (harden up). The stuff works great but just be aware of the potential of melting off more than excessive adhesive. Good luck.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll give it try tomorrow
Old August 1st, 2012, 08:45 PM

Joe, it looks like there is a bit of the adhesive sticking out through the seam of the chrome trim...that would be a perfect spot to test fire some cleaner to see if it will affect the glue.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 03:53 AM

I would try a heat gun on low with a plastic scraper first.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 04:38 AM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Joe, it looks like there is a bit of the adhesive sticking out through the seam of the chrome trim...that would be a perfect spot to test fire some cleaner to see if it will affect the glue.
Just saw that too which makes me wonder if the molding was glued in place with epoxy. Typically, automotive vinyl adhesives do not look like the glue on your top. And since it's hard, I have a feeling it may in fact be epoxy. If it is, I have a feeling that it may not come off. Look closer at the molding to see if it appears to be glued on.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by 69442C
Just saw that too which makes me wonder if the molding was glued in place with epoxy. Typically, automotive vinyl adhesives do not look like the glue on your top. And since it's hard, I have a feeling it may in fact be epoxy. If it is, I have a feeling that it may not come off. Look closer at the molding to see if it appears to be glued on.
Nice observation, I didnt think of that. After examaining the chrome moulding, it does seem like they used some epoxy to secure a part of the chrome. I still need to get this off.
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by ah64pilot
Steve, I think they epoxy that part of chrome moulding to the car. According to the PO he told me that the installer of the vinyl top had to replace the windsheild because he cracked it while talking it out while installing the top. Darn bootleggers...
Old August 2nd, 2012, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by My442
I would try a heat gun on low with a plastic scraper first.
Thats worth a try. Thanks for the tip
Old August 5th, 2012, 08:44 PM
Kickin' It Oldschool

a razor blade ( the kind that has a cardboard sleed on it) with no handle and possible a steamer could break the bond between the epoxy/glue/adhesive and vinyl. i'd be trying anything to get that crap off@@ with little to no damage to my car as possible. Good luck sir. keep us updated as to what worked please.

i wouldnt advise this but - a dremel with the right attachment could be used to sand it down thinner =/

Last edited by bdub217; August 5th, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
Old August 5th, 2012, 09:15 PM

You might try just the most microscopic area with a pin. You might be able to get under the adhesive and sort of chip it off one little piece at a time, again, trying in a less-conspicuous area first. Cold might work too, an ice cube or something. If it's still somewhat pliable, this might make it more brittle.