General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

how do you wash

Search this Thread

Old September 12th, 2010, 07:22 PM

how do you wash

how do you wash your cars. Mine has a thin film of dust on it. I have well water that goes through a filter and softener but am still concerned about the water. I am thinking about just taking it to the local car wash and using the high pressure soap setting and then chamois on it. What do you use brand names would be helpful. Thanks
Old September 12th, 2010, 07:50 PM
Oldsdruid

The key is to wash the car out of direct sunlight and dry it soon as you're done. Then use forced air to get water out from under mouldings etc. A small air compressor with blowgun or even a leaf blower will work wonders. Then once all that water's out, do a touch-up dry to get that water off. Chamois, an Absorber or even soft nearly worn out bath towels work, but be careful with towels if car is a dark color.

If your well water is filtered and softened , I don't see where you can ask for much else. Most magic wand car washes do the same thing, but high water pressure is rough on paint and I rarely see it do as good a job as a good hand wash.

Pretty much any commercially available car wash soap will do the job. I've seen little difference in any of them, and I've used about all of them over the years. I've been using Meguiar's the last few years, simply because it's readily available even at WalMart and it smells nice. Turtle Wax Zip Wash works great too. Just, whatever you do, do not use dishwashing soap. It will strip wax.

One thing I've discovered is that if you measure both water and car wash soap and mix it according to directions, the stuff works better. 2 oz of car wash to 2 gallons of water works out very well.
Old September 12th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Registered

I've never washed my Vista Cruiser, last time I washed my GTO was in '96 and that was only a sponge bath because of some mud that got on it from a show on a wet field.
For a thin film of dust use a California Car duster then Meguiars Quick Detailer.
If you really want to wash it use a bucket with a little car wash in the water and a bucket of water for hand rinsing, do one panel at a time and dry it well. You can use very low air pressure to blow out cracks and behind moldings, high pressure hoses and air can blow the paint right off the car if you aren't careful.
Old September 12th, 2010, 08:22 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

If you are just getting dust off the car, a California Duster works really well. It is a lot quicker and is probably better for your paint. One other thing I have used when I was my cars is a California Water Blade. It is like a squeegee with a silicone blade. I sound like I work for the company but I don't. I have used them for years and have been very satisfied.
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:43 AM
GM Enthusiast

For a thin film of dust use a California Car duster then Meguiars Quick Detailer.
x2

I usually don't like to wash my cars unless they get really dirty and that works very well.
Old September 13th, 2010, 04:51 AM

My cutlass has bad paint so it gets a hose and a scrub at the local coin-op.

My daily is black and 99% of the time only gets the duster and or quick detailer as well. Even on a daily driver I only need to actually wash it maybe once a month or so. if kept waxed and use of the quick detailer and or a spray wax seems to keep the big stuff from even sticking.
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:17 AM

I've also used a California water blade, and a California duster. They work well. However, washing the car is one of my favorite things to do. I wash my wife's VW at least once a month. Right now I'm not washing the Olds because it is in pieces in my garage.
Old September 13th, 2010, 06:49 AM

I hate washing cars in general & the Olds is the worst - too wide not to get a wet shirt, lotsa "mitt grabbers" @ molding ends, etc. But, the couple of times a year that I do wash - I wash & chamois, then open hood, doors, trunk & chamois some more. I run the edge of the chamois under the convertible opening moldings or else they will keep dripping, like the trunk does. Finally - I drive the front or the rear of the car up on an incline, a driveway apron would do, I have a drive on lift so that works well to drain the water out of the rockers & quarter "wells", then turn it around & do the other end. Water gets into your cowl, doors, lower front quarters & accordingly rocker panels & there really isn't any practical way to prevent it. These panels have drains which hopefully are still functional because of this.

If you haven't done this, try it & watch what drains out of there. I for one don't wait for it to evaporate because that could take a week & that means it is trying to rust every minute it is wet.

Dusters are the best for simple dust. I haven't washed mine since weeks before driving it to Sturbridge in the rain. My front wheels are so brown w/ brake dust I think this thread will have to shame me into washing it!

Last edited by bccan; September 13th, 2010 at 06:52 AM.
Old September 13th, 2010, 09:20 AM

I don't wash Mine much either.Great idea with the incline.Also with following the directions on the soap,never thought about it,but sometimes,more isn't better.Another thing I do is after I dry the car throughly,I take for a drive,get the engine temp.up if theres any water trapped anywhere stopping;starting;going around turns will help clear it out.Plus the heat from the engine helps to.And its a good excuse to go for a ride.
railguy
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Bluevista
I've never washed my Vista Cruiser, last time I washed my GTO was in '96 and that was only a sponge bath because of some mud that got on it from a show on a wet field.
If you really want to wash it use a bucket with a little car wash in the water and a bucket of water for hand rinsing, do one panel at a time and dry it well. You can use very low air pressure to blow out cracks and behind moldings, high pressure hoses and air can blow the paint right off the car if you aren't careful.
x2
Mine hasn't been washed since I put her together 1 1/2 years ago. I plan to stay away from it unless it's really neccesary. I can't see letting the water get into the cowl area, doors, rockers, etc. It was alot of work, just to get her wet for me.
Cal. duster and Evercoat Lubra-Shine works for me.
Old September 13th, 2010, 05:21 PM

I have the same ritual after every car show. I remove the dust with the California Car Duster, then I spritz it with water from a small atomizer and rub it in with a soft cloth. Then I use a dry soft cloth to dry up the moisture and polish the finish. I never use microfiber. They drag too much. Below the body side moldings I use a damp sponge and shammy it dry. My wax....Zymol of course!
Old September 13th, 2010, 07:24 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

I've had my car almost a year now and only washed it once when I first brought it home. I used a cheap car wash soap then a shammy.
Ever since then all I've had to do is dust it then use the Meguairs quick detailer. Keeps the wax looking great!
I'm gonna break down soon and get a cover,probably end up doing less dusting.

I've been trying different waxes and protectants. I've found I like the Meguairs products.

Old September 14th, 2010, 09:43 AM

I have a quota of washing 3 times a year, there is a water ban so I used the coin operated sprayer using up my first wash. I hold the wand far away to avoid the pressure. It does a pretty good job as all I'm removing is some road grime and dust. I try to wash on a hot day. I quickly go over most of the car with old towels then the ride home does it some more. I then park it with the doors and trunk open and check for water in the trunk. I sponge bathed it once also, it worked well without allowing water to get inside doors fenders etc where it can settle in between the layered metal. I spot clean between washes with a soft rag and water. I will at a minimum give it a sponge bath before it's winter hibernation.
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:35 PM

I appreciate all of the replies I went out and got the duster and maguires wax and spot detailer. My white wheels just show dust awful hopefully some compresssed air will eliminate most of it.
Old September 14th, 2010, 07:34 PM

I have well water and a softner with a filter. I have no problem with washing my cars (probably 3x per year). I don't bother with a leaf blower, compressor or hair dryer.....I gently towel dry and then just hop in a drive around for half hour......it drys off all the remaining water and is a lot of fun....sort of like a reward for cleaning the baby.
Old September 14th, 2010, 08:49 PM
One of None W-31

MOST IMPORTANT thing when washing is to make sure your washing implement is deep, so it doesn't rub dirt across the paint (many micro fiber mits are sold which can be used)...ie, never use a sponge. It would be logical to assume that the same approach is used when drying the vehicle.
Also X 10, 20 or whatever number it is by now on the California Car Duster.If it hasn't rained and the car has stayed dry, I simply just use that.
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:12 AM

I have a soft bristle brush that I use.Before it goes back in the bucket it gets rinsed off with the hose.This keeps the soapy water clean.
Old September 15th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Oldsdruid

Those long-bristle horsehair wash brushes used to come highly recommended. Seems I remember they were also very expensive.

I have a synthetic flagged-bristle wash brush I use on the truck and wagon, but as daily beaters paint isn't a real concern on them. I use wash mitts on the others- each one has its own wash mitt.

Another trick I learned on washing cars with nice paint is not to use a nozzle on the hose. Use one of those plastic 1/4 turn shutoff valves and use it to flood the surface with clear water when rinsing. It will make water sheet off a waxed or polished surface instead of beading up and you won't have as much drying to do, and you won't have to rush to get the water off before sunlight burns the paint thru the water beads.

Washing a car used to be a truly pleasurable and relaxing way to spend a few hours. Don't have that much time to devote to them now .
Old September 15th, 2010, 09:21 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

The front and sides get washed by 18 wheel trucks while driving in the rain. The back quarters get washed in the burnout box at the track.
A few spent cans of beer passing through the old kidneys works great for tire shine.
Old September 15th, 2010, 09:58 AM

Living in Cambridge England I just park it outside over night, then a drying lap on the motorway. Andy
Old September 15th, 2010, 06:10 PM

http://www.formula113.com/

BeadX for the detailing and general cleaning.
Formula 113 for the wax.
Of course, Cali. Duster too.

I LOVEthese products.
I have not tried their other products as of yet but do plan on it.
Old September 16th, 2010, 01:26 AM

I use Adam's Waterless Wash with a special waffle type of towel that they sell, works great and it's very easy to do and comes up realy nice.

John.
Old September 16th, 2010, 07:47 AM
STOP call'n it a Chevelle

I just finished repainting my car, I want to give a good protective waxing before the trim goes back on. It is a base coat/clear paint job. What would you recommend for the wax or polish.

Adam
Old September 16th, 2010, 09:56 AM
One of None W-31

Wax seems to be a thing of the past--paint sealants are the newest technology. I have been using Meguiar's NXT GENERATION TECH WAX® 2.0 the past 2 years and it is incredible stuff. There are other brands that are known (extremely expensive) which a few people use, but the Meguiar's stuff is in my opinion great, and around $16. I buy it in the liquid form.
Old September 16th, 2010, 11:13 AM

I use Turtle Wax. Don't fix something if it isn't broken.
Old September 16th, 2010, 02:34 PM

I have changed to Adam's products, not the cheapest but they do a brilliant job.
I have always looked after the detailing on my cars really well but the Adam's stuff has lifted it to a higher level.
Old September 16th, 2010, 03:28 PM

car wash

Because I live 1 1/2 miles from any pavement my car gets very dusty any time It leaves the house. I have been washing it at the two bit car wash for about ten years now and I see no problems what so ever. I have found a few chips but I blame the mile and a half of gravel on that. I do wipe the car down with clean towels each washing and wax often....Tedd
Old September 16th, 2010, 03:56 PM

Originally Posted by 71 Cutlass
Wax seems to be a thing of the past--paint sealants are the newest technology. I have been using Meguiar's NXT GENERATION TECH WAX® 2.0 the past 2 years and it is incredible stuff. There are other brands that are known (extremely expensive) which a few people use, but the Meguiar's stuff is in my opinion great, and around $16. I buy it in the liquid form.
A year ago I took my newly purchased car over to Jerry Wilson's house (now OCA President) and asking him how he preserves his cars (he has an extensive collection). His recommendation was NXT Generation Tech Wax 2.0, as well. He said to put a second coat on after waiting a day or two. Thereafter, he uses only water to wash his cars.

I bought the stuff and it is dynamite. Easy to apply and wipe off. And it's great for getting road tar off, too.
Old September 16th, 2010, 05:27 PM

Car Wax

Never wax a freshly painted car for at least 30 days. This gives the vehicle in the paint time to evaporate. With the new water based paints I'm not sure. My favorite wax is Zymol. You get a lot of dust but it works well with water and a quick spritz and buff with a soft cloth brings back the just waxed shine. I've tried the polymers like Astro Shield but they tend to build up and turn the finish cloudy, especially on a black car.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:12 AM
One of None W-31

What SOAP are you using to wash with. Was reading forums from "another network" and most say they use the Meguires Gold soap. Also noticed that Mequires makes an NXT soap as well. Anyone have experience or an opinion on these two products? Need to buy new soap soon, so was curious to hear what others used.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 02:25 PM

I've used the Meguire's Gold soap for many years. It seems to remove dirt just fine, rinses great, and doesn't strip the wax off. Of course, the same is probably true of any decent car-wash soap.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 03:01 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackGold
I've used the Meguire's Gold soap for many years. It seems to remove dirt just fine, rinses great, and doesn't strip the wax off. Of course, the same is probably true of any decent car-wash soap.
X-2 on the Mequires Gold. I find all their products to be very good. Same with Mothers. Both are good stuff.