The Clubhouse Place to chat about whatever's on your mind - doesn't have to be car related. NO POLITICS OR RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION ALLOWED.

4 Police Officers Shot Dead At Wash. Coffeehouse

Search this Thread

Old November 29th, 2009, 01:14 PM

4 Police Officers Shot Dead At Wash. Coffeehouse

TACOMA, Wash. (AP) -- A gunman burst into a Washington state coffeehouse Sunday and opened fire on four police officers as they sat working on their laptops, killing the three men and one woman in what an official described as a targeted ambush.

Pierce County Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said officers were looking for one male suspect who fled on foot, but haven't ruled out an accomplice.

Troyer said the four officers killed - all from the Lakewood Police Department - were catching up on paperwork at the beginning of their shifts when they were attacked at 8:15 a.m. Sunday.

Troyer said the attack was clearly targeted at the officers, not a robbery gone bad.

"There were marked patrol cars outside and they were all in uniform," Troyer said.

With no known suspects, there was no indication of any connection with the Halloween night shooting of a Seattle police officer. The suspect in that shooting remains hospitalized.

Troyer would not release the names of the victims in Sunday's shooting.

It wasn't clear whether the officers even had time to draw their weapons to return fire, Troyer said.

"This was more of an execution. Walk in with the specific mindset to shoot police officers," Troyer said.

There were two employees and a few other customers in the shop. All are being interviewed by the Pierce County Sheriff's investigators.

"Some are in shock. They are very upset," Troyer said. "They are the ones who are going to put together for us how this happened."

The Forza Coffee Shop, part of a popular local chain, is on a side street near McChord Air Force Base in Tacoma, about 35 miles south of Seattle. The shop is in a small retail center alongside two restaurants, a cigar store and a nail salon.

Brad Carpenter, founder and owner of Forza Coffee, said his staff was OK and being interviewed by police, and that his main concern was with the families of the police officers.

"I'm a retired police officer, so this really hits close to home for me," he said.

Streets around the coffee shop were blocked off late Sunday morning, and a police helicopter hovered over a large crowd of investigators. TV video showed police taking possession of a pickup truck parked in a grocery store in Parkland.

Dave Gabrielson, a clerk at Foot Mart about a block away from the coffee shop, told the newspaper all was quiet when he opened the store at 8 a.m. About 30 minutes later, "All of a sudden a million cops were zooming up and down the road," Gabrielson said.

He said he saw officers bring a police dog into a nearby apartment complex.

The baristas who were inside the shop are "stunned and shocked, traumatized," Troyer said.

"We hopefully will have answers, but there is nothing more we can tell you," Troyer told KING-TV. "That's as cold-hearted as it is."

Last month, Seattle police officer Timothy Brenton was shot and killed Halloween night as he was sitting in a cruiser with trainee Britt Sweeney. Sweeney was grazed in the neck.

Authorities say the man charged with that shooting also firebombed four police vehicles in October as part of a "one-man war" against law enforcement. Christopher Monfort, 41, was arrested days after the Seattle shooting and remains hospitalized.

Monfort remains hospitalized in stable condition, the hospital said Sunday.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
Old November 29th, 2009, 01:23 PM

Wow! That hurts. I hope they catch him SOON!!!
Old November 29th, 2009, 01:39 PM

That really sucks...So many nutbars out there
Old November 29th, 2009, 01:54 PM
Just an Olds Guy

My condolences go out to the families of the 4 slain officers in this shooting and the 1 on halloween. I can't imagine the horror and grief this deliberate and senseless action would cause them. Aside from the fact that the perp is going to stand trial, I feel only anger that he's still alive and being treated (recovering) in the hospital for a crime that should send him to hell. Police officers risk their lives everyday. I don't think we realize how important they are until something like this happens. One of my best friends growing up went into law enforcement. Lucky for him the worst that ever happened were several bad beatings. He's retired now and would never go back. But he did say that the friendships he's made in the force are forever.
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:14 PM

I join in your suffering.
I'm speechless, I just hope that justice is done for the respect of 4 lives lost
Old November 29th, 2009, 02:43 PM

What a shame,
We just lost an officer a few months back to a loser felon.
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:41 PM

I watched it on news this morning as it broke. Sad day makes you wonder if this is starting a trend. Sure hope not these guys and gals put their lives on the line everyday and see things none of us want to see. My thoughts and prayers go out to their familys and brothers and sisters of the blue
Old November 29th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Cutlass Lover

So sad. What the heck is wrong with people anymore? My heart goes out to those families...
Old November 29th, 2009, 05:42 PM

Originally Posted by svnt442
TACOMA, Wash. (AP) -- A gunman burst into a Washington state coffeehouse Sunday and opened fire on four police officers as they sat working on their laptops, killing the three men and one woman in what an official described as a targeted ambush.

Pierce County Sheriff's spokesman Ed Troyer said officers were looking for one male suspect who fled on foot, but haven't ruled out an accomplice.

Troyer said the four officers killed - all from the Lakewood Police Department - were catching up on paperwork at the beginning of their shifts when they were attacked at 8:15 a.m. Sunday.

Troyer said the attack was clearly targeted at the officers, not a robbery gone bad.

"There were marked patrol cars outside and they were all in uniform," Troyer said.

With no known suspects, there was no indication of any connection with the Halloween night shooting of a Seattle police officer. The suspect in that shooting remains hospitalized.

Troyer would not release the names of the victims in Sunday's shooting.

It wasn't clear whether the officers even had time to draw their weapons to return fire, Troyer said.

"This was more of an execution. Walk in with the specific mindset to shoot police officers," Troyer said.

There were two employees and a few other customers in the shop. All are being interviewed by the Pierce County Sheriff's investigators.

"Some are in shock. They are very upset," Troyer said. "They are the ones who are going to put together for us how this happened."

The Forza Coffee Shop, part of a popular local chain, is on a side street near McChord Air Force Base in Tacoma, about 35 miles south of Seattle. The shop is in a small retail center alongside two restaurants, a cigar store and a nail salon.

Brad Carpenter, founder and owner of Forza Coffee, said his staff was OK and being interviewed by police, and that his main concern was with the families of the police officers.

"I'm a retired police officer, so this really hits close to home for me," he said.

Streets around the coffee shop were blocked off late Sunday morning, and a police helicopter hovered over a large crowd of investigators. TV video showed police taking possession of a pickup truck parked in a grocery store in Parkland.

Dave Gabrielson, a clerk at Foot Mart about a block away from the coffee shop, told the newspaper all was quiet when he opened the store at 8 a.m. About 30 minutes later, "All of a sudden a million cops were zooming up and down the road," Gabrielson said.

He said he saw officers bring a police dog into a nearby apartment complex.

The baristas who were inside the shop are "stunned and shocked, traumatized," Troyer said.

"We hopefully will have answers, but there is nothing more we can tell you," Troyer told KING-TV. "That's as cold-hearted as it is."

Last month, Seattle police officer Timothy Brenton was shot and killed Halloween night as he was sitting in a cruiser with trainee Britt Sweeney. Sweeney was grazed in the neck.

Authorities say the man charged with that shooting also firebombed four police vehicles in October as part of a "one-man war" against law enforcement. Christopher Monfort, 41, was arrested days after the Seattle shooting and remains hospitalized.

Monfort remains hospitalized in stable condition, the hospital said Sunday.

Copyright 2009 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.
i have driven in that area often. sometimes i go up that way for lunch when i am at work. This is shocking. i hope they catch the killer soon.
Old November 29th, 2009, 08:18 PM

The killer deserves a long, painful death. And don't tell me I'm cruel
Old November 29th, 2009, 09:16 PM

This world is a mess, honestly a damn shame...
Old November 30th, 2009, 03:59 AM

With rue my heart is laden
for golden friends I've had
for many a rose lipt maiden
and many a lightfoot Lad

-Housman

My prayers go to the families
Old November 30th, 2009, 09:31 AM

This is sad,my heart goes out to their familys. Not even the death penalty is going to help people with this one.
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by KRICHEN922
Same here!
Old November 30th, 2009, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
My condolences go out to the families of the 4 slain officers in this shooting and the 1 on halloween. I can't imagine the horror and grief this deliberate and senseless action would cause them. Aside from the fact that the perp is going to stand trial, I feel only anger that he's still alive and being treated (recovering) in the hospital for a crime that should send him to hell. Police officers risk their lives everyday. I don't think we realize how important they are until something like this happens. One of my best friends growing up went into law enforcement. Lucky for him the worst that ever happened were several bad beatings. He's retired now and would never go back. But he did say that the friendships he's made in the force are forever.
A high school friend of mine, who is a Portland police officer, had his hand crushed by some young thugs(gang related), back in the 1990s.
Today he had metal rods and pins in that hand.
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:26 AM

The killer was shot dead by a single Seattle Police Officer at approx 2:00 am this morning. The officer was investigating a stolen car when the killer approched him. The office told him to stop and when he didn't the office shot and killed him. No trial for this SOB
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:41 AM

YES!!!!!!!
Old December 1st, 2009, 05:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Justice served

Originally Posted by citcapp
The killer was shot dead by a single Seattle Police Officer at approx 2:00 am this morning. The officer was investigating a stolen car when the killer approched him. The office told him to stop and when he didn't the office shot and killed him. No trial for this SOB
I have no sympathy for the dumbass SOB. That officer deserves a commedation for making a decision that probably saved his life. There's a bright side to this ending though!!! No lengthy trial, no time wasted, no comfort of a warm cell with 3 meals a day and fringe benefits.

Whoever the officer is, WELL DONE SIR!!! and Thank you. The streets have one less problem to deal with.
Old December 1st, 2009, 06:17 PM

The kid/man had been in jail since age 16 - some prison time; over 20 years in and out of the penal system

I am a panty wearing liberal (relax, just a joke - about the panties, anyway), how could that person have ever lived a life even approaching normalcy, regardless? Modern life is just F'd up. I am compassionate in that I wish the killer/killed had the ability to have gotten the help he needed so long ago. I also wish the families had their loved ones back.

The guy committed suicide by badge. Is it wrong that I am thankful he died and now won't go through a prolonged trial, appeal, wait process for a death penalty? I am not sure if WA has a death penalty instated, but certainly death is too good for him.
Old December 3rd, 2009, 07:36 AM
Captain of my ship

Been in and out of jail since the age of 16 still does not give anyone the right to take another humane life. maybe he had a bad upbringing and went to jail young but it's not an excuse we should accept for people who have no regard for a life. If his life was so bad maybe he should have done us all a favor and put the gun to his own head. It usually starts with kids dropping out of school then stealing or selling drugs cause they can't get work. Not many employment places have employers looking for people ' young and stupid'.
Old December 5th, 2009, 09:21 AM

I would have shot him in the stomach then humg him by his ankles and let him drown in his own blood. Let him have a taste of the pain he has given to others. I am a big fan of Hammurabi....
Old December 5th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Let the punishment fit the crime. In this case it seemed to work out that way pretty well... Just sucks so many had to pay such a high price in the process.
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:38 PM

THIS isnt the most recent crime.... he deserved my puishmen not one he didn't feel
Old January 22nd, 2011, 03:00 AM

No offense, but, I truly don't think America cares.

Definitely not my choice, but.................... seriously, I've learned, no one truly cares

NS
Old January 22nd, 2011, 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by KRICHEN922
Start by pulling out his finger nails,then an anvil and a hammer finger by finger. Is this a good start?
Old January 22nd, 2011, 09:27 PM

This was posted in 2009!
Old January 23rd, 2011, 06:47 AM

wow never even looked at the date
Old January 24th, 2011, 06:52 AM

Four police officers shot in Detroit yesterday, 1-23-11. They killed the shooter, all the officers are expected to survive but one is critical.