General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

how do u drain the tank on a 72 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2012, 03:17 PM

how do u drain the tank on a 72 cutlass

I got a bunch of rust and varnish in my tank. I dropped it and expected the gas to come out the tail pipe but I got nothin, which is weird since I siphoned the gas out that way. I can get it to come out the the vent tubes though. I popped of the sending unit and also realized the tank has what looks like two cells. Any tips for my weekend project
Old March 24th, 2012, 04:16 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

When I did mine, I just held it over a bucket, filler tube down. All the gas fell out.

I s'pose you could put it over a bucket upside down, so it comes out the sender hole.

- Eric
Old March 24th, 2012, 05:45 PM

This worked for me once; disconnected the fuel line where it comes out of the frame in the front and put the hose in a bucket, took an blower and stuffed it into the fuel filler and pushed it all out that way.
Old March 24th, 2012, 06:12 PM

I don't think I had enough gas in it. I put a chain in it and sloshed it around, got some nasty stuff out but there is a whole lot more.
Old March 24th, 2012, 10:32 PM

GM didn't design it to be emptied. They have baffles that keep the gas from coming back out the filler tube. As you've discovered, the only "direct" way is to remove the sending unit and slosh it around up side down till you get most of it out. Again, I think there are baffles that still make this method difficult.
However, if it is really that dirty inside, it needs to be professionally cleaned and sealed or just replaced. I had a place clean and seal mine when I restored the car back in 99 or so. They drilled a hole in a corner of the tank and put in a pet ****. The pet **** is neccessary not only to drain the tank of gas but for them to drain the chemicals and crud that come out when they clean it. I think they let it sit with the pet **** facing downward so that any excess sealant can drain out. Seems like it was around $100 back them.