General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

How to change Headlights

Search this Thread

Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:02 AM

How to change Headlights

Good afternoon guys. I know this may sound like a dumb question to some. But my philosophy is a dumb question is a question not asked. So....How do you change the headlights on a 71 Cutlass. This is actually the first time I have had to change them after owning the car for 4 years. I dont drive it much at all. Please help!
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:10 AM

you need to take the headlight bezel off (four phillips screws one on each corner) then there is a stainless steel retaining ring that holds them in also with phillips head screws. Take those off (I believe three of them) and the ring will pop off with the light. You need to be careful taking the retaining ring off as the screws are short and they may drop into the bumper or on the ground if you aren't using a magnetic driver.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:34 AM
71 cutlass convertible

Sometimes those little retaining screws can be a bear to get started. Hit them with some kind of penatrating oil. esp. if they haven't been changed recently. The socket that the light goes into can be brittle after all these years so be careful with it.
Larry
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Sometimes those little retaining screws can be a bear to get started. Hit them with some kind of penatrating oil. esp. if they haven't been changed recently.
They usually are bears. Make sure your phillips screwdriver fits well in the screw head (I think it is a #2) and use a driver with a big handle. You might have to put some pressure on it to keep the driver from messing up the head.
And yes, most have little legs and they take off running. Placing a seept of paper or rag in the area they will drop can help prevent a lost screw.

BTW, there is never a dumb question...
Old November 23rd, 2010, 12:41 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by stevengerard
...then there is a stainless steel retaining ring that holds them in also with phillips head screws...
The stainless rings have three little angle tabs spot welded to them that the screws pass through. Don't be surprised if one of them has come loose. Replacements are available from Dorman Products (the HELP! line in most auto parts stores).
Old November 23rd, 2010, 01:02 PM

Thanks guys. I'll be sure to watch out for the bears, lol.
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:56 PM

I usually pull-out the adjusting spring from the hole with a needle nose, use a flat screwdriver to twist the adjusting screws out of their slots, unplug the back of the bulb, and carry the assembly to a bench, to work on those 3 little 'disappearing screws'!
Better to roll on the floor, than those bumper crevices!! And better leverage!!
Old November 24th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Southern_Hospitality
Good afternoon guys. I know this may sound like a dumb question to some. But my philosophy is a dumb question is a question not asked. So....How do you change the headlights on a 71 Cutlass. This is actually the first time I have had to change them after owning the car for 4 years. I dont drive it much at all. Please help!
4 years and you still don't have a Chassis Service Manual?

You guys sure do worry about dropping screws a lot here?
No magnetized screwdrivers?
You can hold a magnet or magnetic retrieval tool next to the screw and it sticks to that when it comes out too.