adjusting the headlights on Alero

Search this Thread

Old July 10th, 2006, 09:15 AM

adjusting the headlights on Alero

What is the correct procedure to adjust the headlights using the levels that are above the headlight capsuls on a 2001 Olds Alero. Also does anyone know how to program the remote entry fobs. When we bought the car it only had one fob, I bought another on ebay and need to match it to the other fob and the car. Thanks Brian
Old July 10th, 2006, 10:42 AM
Past Administrator

I was reading the owner's manual on my wife's '99 LeSabre the other day and found that there is a procedure where you activate the electronic keylock from the driver's position while doing something with the keyfob (I think holding down the lock button continuously). Your Alero may be similar but check the manual, it should be in there. About the lights........not sure.
Old July 10th, 2006, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
I was reading the owner's manual on my wife's '99 LeSabre the other day and found that there is a procedure where you activate the electronic keylock from the driver's position while doing something with the keyfob (I think holding down the lock button continuously). Your Alero may be similar but check the manual, it should be in there. About the lights........not sure.
It says something about that in my manual also, but that was to resink the original key fobs after a new battery was installed and they didn't work. The owners manual also said if you get a replacement fob that the dealer had to do something else as the fobs were electronickly keyed to the car they came from. I think it has something to do with the computer port on the car.
Old July 11th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Past Administrator

Oh wow, sounds like a trip to the dealership. They get you going and coming don't they? Well, good luck.
Old September 21st, 2006, 08:39 PM

yep dealer trip. it's a matter of ignition cycles, fob button pressing, and fuse removal. no more than 30 min labour, realistically 10, but you know how it is.
Old October 29th, 2006, 10:17 PM

New guy here resurrecting this old topic with a similar issue (headlight adjustment).

About two months ago I had taken my fog light out to clean it out and to really get to it the headlight cluster has to come out. So I had taken just the driver's side headlight and foglight out and put the headlight back in no problem. I had driven it for about two weeks and the aim was straight on. Well when I had put the fog light back in and put everything back together the headlight aim was about a foot lower than it should be. I tried turning the adjustment clockwise and counter clockwise with not effect. I've tried reseating the whole headlight fixture several times and it's still aiming too low. Friday I had taken in my car for regular maintainable (Coolant flush, oil change, & tire rotation/balance). When I dropped my car off I asked them if they could take a look at the headlights and told me they'll see what they can do. Well when I picked the car up the mechanic told me the same thing I was getting.. he tried the adjustment **** and reseating the headlight and it wasn't budging. This is a small garage nearby where I live and my whole family takes their cars there so these guys get some really good business from us and I get the feeling these guys don't screw us over and are honest workers. So I'm curious if any mechanical gurus here could possibly lend some info. I'd rather not have to go out and buy a whole new headlight fixture just to correct the aim. I'd appreciate any help anyone could provide. Thank you.
Old November 5th, 2006, 04:17 PM

To adjust the headlight you need to pick up a "Torx" socket.

Mine have been off for a while but I'm having a hard time finding the correct tool. I tried the "gator" grip, but it doesn't work.

The adjust ***** are only plastic. It's eitehr a t-10 or t-15