General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Hotchkiss A-arms for big cars: nope

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2021, 11:10 AM

Hotchkiss A-arms for big cars: nope

Just dropped an email to Hotchkiss suspensions inquiring whether they’d be interested in building me some custom A-Arms for my ‘66 big cars.

They are not doing custom A-Arms at this time was the reply. No surprise, just a point of information.

I figure it’s worth a check every few years, just in case.

Chris
Old May 26th, 2021, 11:16 AM
Beer Connoisseur

Try UMI, maybe they will.

Are the control arms for Olds big car same as Chevy?
Old May 26th, 2021, 12:55 PM

Thanks! Will check out UMI.

And nope, the control arms for Olds are definitely not the same as Chevy, Buick, Cadillac, Pontiac. At least not for the years I’m interested in which run from 1965 to 1970.
Old May 26th, 2021, 02:34 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by 70cutty
Are the control arms for Olds big car same as Chevy?
Nothing in the full size chassis, suspension, rear axle, or brakes interchanges with Chevy prior to the 1971 model year.
Old May 26th, 2021, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Nothing in the full size chassis, suspension, rear axle, or brakes interchanges with Chevy prior to the 1971 model year.
So, if not Che*v, is there anything else? Help a brutha out.
Old May 26th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by fleming442
So, if not Che*v, is there anything else? Help a brutha out.
The 1965-70 Olds full size cars are pretty much unique. Some parts interchange with Buick (and to a lesser degree, Pontiac), but not that much. Nobody makes anything for those full size models, either.
Old May 26th, 2021, 05:12 PM

The 65-70 stuff is getting more rare by the year, but since they’re not popular, I’m driving farther and farther each year to source boneyard parts. Most cars of this era have long since been crushed.

I just thought it was worth noting Hotchkiss turned down a bona fide offer. I tossed out what I thought was a number big enough to get their attention ($2,000 or so) - a multiple of what they get for A body parts and compensation that would cover skilled labor to make the parts. Since control arms are safety equipment, I have no problem with a high price. Cheaper than an accident or worse and I’ve had failures on these parts along the way. It’d be worth it to me to put the problem to bed once & for all.

I also described the market so they knew once they had the pattern it would apply to 65-70 big Olds.

But no bite. Will check into UMI and let you know what I find.

Cheers
Chris
Old May 26th, 2021, 05:16 PM

I'm going to throw a bag of popcorn in the microwave and say:

Nothing on the shelf? Time to make it happen. How bad do you want it?
Old May 26th, 2021, 05:39 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by cfair
The 65-70 stuff is getting more rare by the year, but since they’re not popular, I’m driving farther and farther each year to source boneyard parts. Most cars of this era have long since been crushed.

I just thought it was worth noting Hotchkiss turned down a bona fide offer. I tossed out what I thought was a number big enough to get their attention ($2,000 or so) - a multiple of what they get for A body parts and compensation that would cover skilled labor to make the parts. Since control arms are safety equipment, I have no problem with a high price. Cheaper than an accident or worse and I’ve had failures on these parts along the way. It’d be worth it to me to put the problem to bed once & for all.

I also described the market so they knew once they had the pattern it would apply to 65-70 big Olds.

But no bite. Will check into UMI and let you know what I find.

Cheers
Chris
talk to UMI, also try to reach out to Global West and Spohn Performance.

The reason I was asking if olds big body is same as Chevy is cause Global West is the only company that makes aftermarket control arms for 65-70 Chevy B body. I have them on 67 impala. Thought there might be a chance that they were same or similar enough.

Last edited by 70cutty; May 26th, 2021 at 05:42 PM.
Old May 26th, 2021, 08:31 PM
72Cutlass S

I once got a set of upper control arms from a neighbor of mine that worked at Fabtech. They were for a 2 wheel drive ford f150. I asked him if they were considering making a set for a 4x4. They were not but he gave me the set from his demo truck and i cut them down, made a jig out of plywood and nails and mocked them up and tack welded them. Then I sent them out to a real welder and had the welded together. They worked great and lifted the truck 3 inches without the tinker toy brackets that is usually involved with lifting a ifs front suspension. My point being... you can make a one of one set yourself. Get down take some good measurements. Draw them out and fab your own. Even if you cant weld them yourself there are welders out there that can finish the job for you. You can tack them together with a 120 volt mig.