General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Hood to cowl seal with Glasstek hood.

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2014, 06:10 PM

Hood to cowl seal with Glasstek hood.

I had my hood adjusted pretty good. Latches and hood pins all worked well. Installed the cowl seal last night and now everything is jacked up. Back of the hood does not go all the way down. Hood pins no longer line up with the brackets etc etc. What purpose does the cowl seal serve. I am thinking it would be easier to do without it.
Old July 11th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Its there to keep any off gasses from going back and entering the cabin air intakes under the cowl screens. Better to keep it. Maybe look for softer rubber seal? The cowl seal is hollow and designed to squish. I'm not saying you should do this, but possibly a solution is to cut a continous line at the base of the seal where one side so the seal can compress even more?

Steve, I don't think you're the first one who's noticed this. Are you using stock hinges or did you go with the lightweight ones?
Old July 11th, 2014, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by Sampson
I had my hood adjusted pretty good. Latches and hood pins all worked well. Installed the cowl seal last night and now everything is jacked up. Back of the hood does not go all the way down. Hood pins no longer line up with the brackets etc etc. What purpose does the cowl seal serve. I am thinking it would be easier to do without it.
I had the same problem on the 72 with a Fiberglass Concepts hood. On mine, the issue is some of the aftermarket OAI hoods are actually too thick in the back and have little to zero clearance with the cowl. I tried three different cowl weatherstrips including the softest material made and it didn't matter - the hood stuck way up no matter what way I adjusted the hinge. I finally went with having no cowl weatherstrip, and since it is rarely driven in the rain (or washed) it isn't a big deal except for the obvious missing part. The are a few threads on this subject - good luck.
Old July 12th, 2014, 03:23 PM

Thanks for the replys guys. I have the stock hinges with light weight springs from Year One. I tried the light weight springs from TPP and they did not hold the hood up. The Seal was a Soft Seal piece and I have been impressed with the quality of all their products. I bought the vert top seals and door seals as well as the trunk seal from them. I will try to cut them to see if I can create some clearance that way. But seems like Joe has been down this road and I will likely remove the seal.
Old July 12th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Steve, I know it sounds goofy but what about trying some of the truck cap topper tape in place of the molded rubber seal? It's cheap and comes in various thickness's.

Something like this?? You could cut it to suit your needs. This particular stuff is only 1/2" high and 1.5" wide. If you split it down the middle it would be 3/4" wide and 1/2" high. Likely a perfect fit for your cowl.

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Allan R
Steve, I know it sounds goofy but what about trying some of the truck cap topper tape in place of the molded rubber seal? It's cheap and comes in various thickness's.

Something like this?? You could cut it to suit your needs. This particular stuff is only 1/2" high and 1.5" wide. If you split it down the middle it would be 3/4" wide and 1/2" high. Likely a perfect fit for your cowl.

WOW Allan! You may be on to something. I am going to try to split the seal on the Soft Seal that is on the car first. If that does not work" I will give the Topper Tape a try. I bet it is close. I will let you know how it works out.
Old July 12th, 2014, 04:51 PM

I had my soft seal already installed. Yep, raised the rear of the hood. I took a razor knife and cut off all but the base. Works and looks good. I have had no comments on it at all at shows or otherwise.
Old July 13th, 2014, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by ziff396
I had my soft seal already installed. Yep, raised the rear of the hood. I took a razor knife and cut off all but the base. Works and looks good. I have had no comments on it at all at shows or otherwise.
I have the same problem. I like your idea, Ziff. I have taken off my seal for the same reasons. I will try cutting it and reinstalling it. Thanks!
Old July 18th, 2014, 04:36 PM

Just to let you guys know I took Ziff's advice and trimmed the seal down to the base. All is right with the world. Hood closes and latches like it should. Would have to look hard to realize it is not correct. Best of all there was a noticeable engine noise reduction when driving the car. Thanks For all the suggestions.