General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

The High Cost of Restoration

Search this Thread

Old February 8th, 2012, 07:02 AM
W40 Kid

The High Cost of Restoration

Well the time has finally come where I'm able to finally refresh the Hurst up a little bit. Does anyone happen to know of any companies out there producing parts for the 78-88 generation? So far I've spent $70 on a OEM lighter and $375 on a new carb, I feel I will end up paying more for used parts for some of the key pieces I'm going to need if I continue to use sources like ebay.
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:13 AM

Are you talking parts specific to the Hurst/Olds or for G bodies in general?

My 83 H/O is currently under going a resto and all i can say is you need to search and search. I got some stuff from GM (ie door handles and belt moldings), some from reproduction companies (ie ttop parts), ebay, craigslist (ie a carb and wheels) from a purchased parts car (ie fender and doors) and lastly from forum members (ie jack, trunk mat, rear windows).

Only thing i have remaining on my list to buy are the stripe kit and the front air dam - both are aftermarket available.

Hard to give advice on where to buy without know what you need. Have you put together a list and can you share it?
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:24 AM
Lansing built

parts

Hey Ryan,

Somebody on earlier post said something like trying a goggle search for 78-88 Monte Carlo, some parts are interchangeble between G bodies.

Hope this helps.

Pat
Old February 8th, 2012, 07:28 AM
W40 Kid

I guess thats a valid point. lol. I do need wheels, caps, shocks, springs, (bearings and brakes I know I can easily get at my local car quest) but I would like to have my posi rear re-built, I'm also missing the round magnet that goes on the rear diff cover on the inside, I would like a nice American made radiator, the "lightning rod" cover plate that goes on the console, the factory headlamp on "dinger", I think i'm gonna need a lot of t-top resto parts like the plates, seals, plus what ever it takes to get rid of the unfortunate rust build up thats under the top plates, but I also would like to see a few miscellaneous engine parts. My goal is to very mildly spruce up that 307 a tad ( would like to achieve 230 horse??) but not screw with a lot the originality of it. Also does anyone know how to rechrome small plastic pieces?? for instance, my rear sail panel interior lights, the chrome had faded off from the sun. So I would like to bring some of the small pieces back to life. preff w/ out the cost of a arm and a leg. But those are the plans for the ole' girl
Old February 8th, 2012, 08:14 AM
W40 Kid

Thanks pat! found a website Gbodyparts.com. has a lot of interchangeble parts for the G-body generation. Least it's a good start
Old February 8th, 2012, 09:00 AM

I found T Top weatherstrip channels at dixie monte carlo for a great price.

I bought left and right front and rears and I do not need the rear strips. I will sell the left and right rear channels for a price less than what it will cost you to get them from dixie.