General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Here's the story.

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2009, 10:37 PM

Here's the story.

Alot of you have seen me post that the '73 Cutlass Supreme was my first car and that I never got to drive it and that I say it's a "long story". Several have PM'ed me asking about it. Well for all of you that are curious here it is....
1984...My dad tells me that in a couple years I'll have my license and that he wont be able to shell out the $$$ for a car for me and that we should start looking for a fixer upper now. We attend a bank repo auction. I can't afford anything there, even with my dad matching dollar for dollar with what I have saved from mowing lawns and odd jobs and such. Way back in the corner and against the wall is this light green Olds with flat tires. It's got sheet metal damage all down the passenger side. My dad talks to the bank guy and for a measly $50 we are dragging this '73 Olds Cutlass Supreme home. After several different junk yard visits to gather the required sheet metal (header panel, fender, door, and deck lid) it's starting to shape up. We had to order a new right rear 1/4 panel, but at the time all we could get was a '74 style with the straight rear marker lamp and not the canted '73 style. So some cutting and welding was in order.
A year or so had passed. Little did we know when we brought the '73 Olds home that the engine was siezed. So we found a used '66 or '68 (I don't recall exactly) Delmont 88 with a good running 350. So out with the old and in with the used was the order of the day. She ran sweet!
So a little more time had passed and I had my license and a job. I was driving my mom's brand new '85 Buick LeSabre back and forth to work and running around on the weekends. It's not really cool to cruise in your mother's Buick 4dr around town. And she was complaining about it. So I had a job and I needed wheels, but the '73 Olds wasn't finished. It sat in primer waiting for a 1/4 panel and misc. little things to be done. And after the install of the motor way back when the tranny started to leak when idling.
My dad and my grandfather matched what money I had to buy me my "2nd" first car. I denied them that because I had a job, was almost 17 (and had discoverd girls) and thought I ruled the world. So I got a loan and bought this hot little '74 Chevelle Laguna S3. Big Block power and a 4spd! Big Block Power. Big mistake for a young kid! I got into too much trouble with the Chevelle and had to sell it. But I got a '78 Z28 instead (which I still have). All this time the '73 CS is sitting in my Dad's garage.....collecting dust.
So somewhere around '92 (long since moved out of my parents house) my Dad tells me that I either have to finish what I started with that Olds and get it out of his garage or just get it out of his garage all together. I was in love and didn't know where my head was at so I sold it.
I've since married and have 3 kids now. And I have always looked back and thought to myself "Man, that Olds would have / could have been the bomb to drive!" I've spent years on and off looking and or waiting for "that" Olds to come back to me. Well, I think I have found it and I pick it up on Monday. I have to drive to PA to get it, but it's so worth the trip! I found a 1 owner '73 Cutlass Supreme with 30k original miles.
Hello, old friend!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CAR%20001.jpg (100.1 KB, 42 views)
Old May 22nd, 2009, 03:19 AM

Smile Spring love

That's a really nice looking car...hope you have great luck cruising with it...
Old May 22nd, 2009, 06:45 AM

When your a kid and girls and cars are involved only the small brain works the big brain takes a vacation and doesn't come back for a long time. Good luck with your second chance. When you stomp on the gas sometimes the little brain still kicks in. Don't ask how I know this
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:19 AM
Geezer

Originally Posted by citcapp
When your a kid and girls and cars are involved only the small brain works the big brain takes a vacation and doesn't come back for a long time. Good luck with your second chance. When you stomp on the gas sometimes the little brain still kicks in. Don't ask how I know this

Guess my "Big Brain" has been on vacation for 53 years. The call of squealing tires, rump-rump exhausts, popping clutches, rock & roll on the radio, cruising for chicks, and grease beneath the fingernails got me at age 14 never to be ignored again.

There is nothing like having that car which brings back the memories of all those years. I'm lucky enough to own a car that is virtually identical to the one I drove to the prom. Still gives me goose bumps when I stomp on the gas pedal with the radio blaring.

nukesec1 I know you'll get as much enjoyment out of your new "baby" as I get from that one special car out of all the others I have or have owned.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:27 AM

WHAT A GREAT STORY!!!!!!!!!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 10:56 AM

What to do now?

Thanks for the comments. I don't even have the car in my possesion yet and I could cry just looking at the pics. I have very vivid memories of working on this car with my Dad. My wife says I'm too nostalgic (there's NEVER such a thing!). My buddy at work has a machine shop/speed shop/auto restoration-altercation business on the side and he's REALLY into the whole 50's through 70's nostalgic car scene. He's begging me to let him build a 455/700R4 combo for it. I told him I was gonna soak in the whole "bone stock" thing for this summer. But, I see some aftermarket rims coming my way. Perhaps some Cragars, Torque Thrusts, or some polished 5 slot aluminum mags are coming my way? I just can't sleep easy until it's in my garage next to my '78 Z28 (the wife thinks that her van spot in the garage was forever. Guess again Baby! LOL!). I've tagged several Olds resources just reading other posts on this site. And I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions in the future. This site is awesome! I've gathered more here in the last few weeks than I ever did off of the Z28 site I'm on. You guys are more organized, network better and are willing to help a guy out more than I've seen on other sites. It's good to be here!
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:36 AM

Always liked the 73 and 74 best of the mid years. Killer story and kudos to your dad, that level of involvement and support is rare in my experience. Good luck with your second chance.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Nice looking car. Color scheme is classic. The wheelcovers are ok, but if you're thinking of changing wheels, why not check out a set of SS111 that Olds made to dress it up?

BTW, be prepared to negotiate with your Mrs cause if she can't have the garage, you might not have the freedom of access you might have had in the past......I know lots of guys who are on Mrs 2 or 3 now because of things like this. Might be time to build her a carport outside next to the garage???LOL

When you get it home post more pics ok? Love to see the inside. No rust on it? How's the engine? (at 30k, it should be like new)
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:07 PM

Very cool you finally got one back. I have always loved the cutout/swoops at the bottom of the quarters and doors on the '73-74s.

And I agree with Allan. I'd try to find some period correct SSIII's, and put 'em on. That's car is way to original to mess with IMHO.
Old May 22nd, 2009, 12:47 PM

Haa-Haaa Oldsmobile's always get you back. Love those Cars
Old May 22nd, 2009, 02:32 PM

Great story. Don't forget to register the car at the 1973-77 Registry and the 73-77olds.com is a good resource too
Old May 22nd, 2009, 08:18 PM

SS111? What do those look like?
Old May 22nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by nukesec1
SS111? What do those look like?
Here's a picture of what SS111's look like. They're color matched to the exterior body color. The close up is not the same car, it just shows a little more detail.
Attached Images
2008_0314MILLER0036 - Copy.jpg (43.7 KB, 13 views)
14de_3.jpg (70.8 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Allan R; May 22nd, 2009 at 09:11 PM. Reason: add pic
Old May 23rd, 2009, 09:51 AM

Those would look nice on the '73. I'll have to start shopping around. The best part about this is that I get to go to a junk yard! I love junk yards! I'm going to assume they are standard 15X7's?
Old May 24th, 2009, 11:45 AM

Alan's example might be a bit confusing because Alan's car is silver. On a red car for example, SSIII's will be red. On a blue car they will be blue.

Below are SSII wheels (cast gray) on the blue car, below that are SSIII wheels (body colour) on the red car. That the only difference. If you find SSII and want SSIII, paint the SSII body colour.

There is a guy selling a 15" set and a 14" set of SSII's on the 73-77 Cutlass sight. You can always paint them the same colour as the car.

http://www.73-77olds.com/forums/show...9435#post19435

DSC_4841.jpg

5aaa_3.jpg

Last edited by 442much; May 24th, 2009 at 02:06 PM. Reason: ad link