General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

HELP W/ 64 Dynamic Desperate

Search this Thread

Old June 23rd, 2011, 01:46 PM

Angry HELP W/ 64 Dynamic Desperate

OK here is the story. I have tuned my 394 2 Barrel engine. New plugs,wires, starter,fuel pump, fuel filter, timed, new oil and temp sending unit, starter coil, belts, timing chain, water pump and every gasket and hoses.
Here is the problem: let's say my goal is to reach 50 mph from a stop. The car excelerates thru 30 mph fine and is running great. Then as car reaches @ 40-50 mph the engine kicks out as if someone has pinched the fuel line. I release the excelerator wait a second or two and then depress the pedal agian and the engine "resets" and runs fine. Sometimes after I have reached my desired speed the engine kicks out again. It is very unnerving.
What is the problem...I am affraid to take it for any length of ride. NOTE: the engine doesn't stop completely...it is still running when the problem arises, it just seems starved for fuel. Please help I am ready to put the ole gal in the barn for the year.
Thanks to all
Old June 23rd, 2011, 02:31 PM

Well it seems to me you are running out of fuel. I had a similar problem on a 66 Sfire. Turns out varnish broke loose from inside metal fuel line and got stuck in the inlet of the fuel pump. It was full of stuff that looked like onion skin. I could accelerate strong till about 30 and then it would fall flat and seem as if the engine died but it did not. If I kept the pedal down it would pick up strong for a few seconds then fall flat again. You need to make sure sock on fuel sending unit is good, rubber lines are good, fuel filter is good with good fuel pressure and that carb float is adjusted correctly. It is possible the bowl is not filling enough and you are running out of fuel there before it can refill.
Old June 26th, 2011, 08:21 PM

Thanks
Fuel line and filter is clean and mechanical pump is new. Looks like I am in for some open heart surgery on the carb. I have all the rebuild and manufacture specs in hand. I have off Monday so that is my plan. I will give you an update. Thanks again
Old June 26th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Kjr442

I have had the same thing happen on a few cars and it was the sock on the pick up tube in the gas tank. Over the years it gets clogged.

Originally Posted by navvet
Thanks
Fuel line and filter is clean and mechanical pump is new. Looks like I am in for some open heart surgery on the carb. I have all the rebuild and manufacture specs in hand. I have off Monday so that is my plan. I will give you an update. Thanks again
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:41 PM

Try flushing the gas tank. Always a good idea with something this old anyways, and the problems you're having show why.
Old June 27th, 2011, 12:51 PM

I've had similar problems on my '68 Cutlass S 350 2-barrel, and it was the small filter just inside the carburetor, where the fuel line screws in. Undo the fuel line, and then undo the larger nut surrounding the fuel inlet, then remove the filter, it is either pleated paper or something like sintered brass.
Steve
Old June 27th, 2011, 01:50 PM

I didn't know I had another filter in the carb. I remember my old lemans had one. Great suggestion. I will give it a shot tomorrow.
Old June 30th, 2011, 02:53 PM

I found the problem. I removed the electric fuel pump installed new last summer. I had my mechanical pump rebuilt and installed but I kept the electric pump just in case. The car runs fine now. The electric pump may have been blocking fuel flow. Whatever the reason the car has no more hesitation or stalling issues.
Thanks to evryone who gave me advice...much appreciated