General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help with paint

Search this Thread

Old January 27th, 2013, 04:31 PM
70 Cutlass S Conv

Help with paint

I have a 70 supreme conv in a bamboo yellow - always hated the color. Dark green interior, I would like to paint a gloss black exterior, any thoughts? My wife and good friends want me to keep the yellow, but i struggle with it.... when i bought the car 7 years ago, it was not for the color, rather the history... Now I'm at the point I have nothing left to do but change the color, if i so choose, but i'm torn... please give me your thoughts.

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
chris phone 8 17 2012 161.jpg (15.4 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg
chris phone 8 17 2012 206.jpg (19.3 KB, 20 views)
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:04 PM
Gary

I couldn't decide what color I wanted to paint my car. Like yours mine came from the factory Bamboo which I initially thought was a mild faded yellow. I was leaning towards red then blue,even looked at new car paints. Interesting thing when I went and talked with the place I was going to buy the paint from which was PPG I could not decide which color I wanted, I spent over a hour or so trying to figure out which color. The owner of the paint store who happens to be a lady said why dont you just paint the car the same color it presently is. I never up to that point had even thought about it. Well to make a long story short, I painted my car Bamboo with black strips. I am very happy I did and I do get compliments all the time about the color scheme and how the car looks. By the way I have a 72 442. But having said all of this you should paint your car whichever color you want.
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Chevy budget Olds powered

i think the original color is part of character of the car. I wanted to do a custom root beer metallic brown, then a custom candy yellow, then black, the i almost left it in primer. But i just said screw it i ordered the original color and never looked back . i get so many compliments everyone ask's if it's a custom color and most cant belive it's the original color.
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:54 PM

Do which ever color you want, but also know that black is a hard color. It shows any little defect in the paint and anything underneath. When you get the the bodywork right, and the paint laid, cut, and buffed, it's beautiful. It is also a PIA to keep clean. In the end, most any of the factory colors and some non-factory colors can look really good as long as the prep and paint is done right. BTW, are you thinking of going single stage or base-clear?
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:57 PM
Registered Luser

Bamboo with green interior is kind of different to say the least! What color is the top? I think the green with black would look a little odd. Maybe Aspen green if you were to change the color.....
Old January 27th, 2013, 05:59 PM

why not just re dye/ re upholster the interior probably much cheaper than doing body work
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:07 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

I think his interior's black, guys - just a bad picture.

- Eric
Old January 27th, 2013, 06:09 PM

idk i looks green to me. eric you been looking at that bright pink too long it's starting to throw your vision off lol jk.
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:34 AM

Dark green interior according to his original post, I prefer the Bamboo myself.
Old January 28th, 2013, 09:54 AM

well...

I have seen bamboo and I will say it looks great on some cars, but would I order it? if you were to change I do like the aspen green as mentioned I also think this icy green colour by toyota and others would look sweet with a darg green interior, and perhaps black stripes

Old February 6th, 2013, 04:36 PM
70 Cutlass S Conv

thanx for all the help, i'm sticking with yellow...... did i really type that.. anyway, I've always loved the clean black look, but in this case, not so much.... My wife appreciates the saving, and the cruise next year with the money we'll save. You guys rock. thanks for the thread.