General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Help Decoding 70 442 Trim Tag

Search this Thread

Old October 16th, 2017, 07:38 PM

I am looking at a 1970 442 convertible. The car is, according to the seller, Azure blue. The car has a black convertible top and black interior with bucket seats and a console.

The VIN# 344670Z129227. I'm familiar with LAN or E, Never heard of Z?? Any help with z will be appreciated.

Trim tag 70-34467 BF 00190. Not familiar with BF Any help on BF will also be appreciated.

Trim 970
040. 450. 326. 5901. Is 970 Black??

Paint code 20. Is 20 Azure blue??

Top is B. I'm familiar that B =black.

Where is Z??

Where is BF??

Is paint code 20 Azure Blue??

As always, thanks for your help
Old October 16th, 2017, 08:14 PM

Z in the VIN is Fremont, California, which is what the BF on the cowl tag indicates as well.

3 = Oldsmobile
44 = 442
67 = convertible body style
0 = 1970 model year
Z = Fremont assembly plant
129227 = sequential serial number at the Fremont plant
Trim 970 is black vinyl bucket seats
Paint code 28 is azure blue.
Paint code B is black convertible top, as you said.

I don't know what any of these are: 040. 450. 326. 5901

It seems there should be a date code somewhere (04B, 11D, something like that). Any chance you could post a clear photo of the cowl tag? It's very easy to mis-identify a character (B as an 8, or vice versa, for example), and it's always better to see the actual thing and not rely on someone's attempt to transcribe it.

Last edited by jaunty75; October 16th, 2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old October 16th, 2017, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
Z in the VIN is Fremont, California, which is what the BF on the cowl tag indicates as well.

3 = Oldsmobile
44 = 442
67 = convertible body style
0 = 1970 model year
Z = Fremont assembly plant
129227 = sequential serial number at the Fremont plant
Trim 970 is black vinyl bucket seats
Paint code 28 is azure blue.
Paint code B is black convertible top, as you said.

I don't know what any of these are: 040. 450. 326. 5901

It seems there should be a date code somewhere (04B, 11D, something like that). Any chance you could post a clear photo of the cowl tag? It's very easy to mis-identify a character (B as an 8, or vice versa, for example), and it's always better to see the actual thing and not rely on someone's attempt to transcribe it.
Old October 16th, 2017, 08:37 PM

Jaunty,

Thank you!! The paint code is 20, is 20 Azure blue?? I thought Azure blue was one of the special order colors in 1970?? Regarding Z = Fremont, as always I learn something new on our site!!!

​​​​​​As far as providing a photo of the trim tag, I have asked a few times how I can get the picture from my phone to our site?? Help will be appreciated. I am not tech savvy.

Separate but related issue. Car does not have air conditioning. Need AC for my health. What's involved in installing "factory style air conditioning". I've looked at Vintage, but I want to keep the car looking original.

Thanks again,

​​​​​​​Harry
Old October 16th, 2017, 08:55 PM

According to my decoder, paint code 20 is azure blue. I don't know about special colors for 1970.

As far as getting photos off your phone and onto your computer, I know of two ways to do it. One is to simply email it to yourself from your phone and then open your email program (I use gmail) on your computer and save the attached image. But this is relatively slow if you have many photos to transfer or if the image files are large.

The other way is to attach a USB cable from your phone (plugs into the same port as the charger) to your computer. Most times, your computer will automatically recognize the phone as an external disk drive like a flash drive, and you can just access the directory on your phone where the photos are stored and copy them over to your computer. But with some phones, you may have to change how the phone is connected first, depending on the phone.

When I plug my phone (a Motorola running Android) in to my computer like this, it goes into charging mode, and I can't access any files on the phone from my computer. What I have to do is swipe down from the top, tap the "other connection options" or whatever it might be called, and select "share files" or whatever it might be called to tell the phone that I want to access its files. Then you can use Windows explorer to navigate to the directory on the phone where the photos are stored and copy them over to your PC.

As far as putting in A/C when the car had none originally, I'm no expert, but I would have to think that if you don't want to go aftermarket, you're going to have to find an A/C system from a parts car and move it over. But that's not going to be trivial as the vent system is different, the controls are different, you'll need to put an evaporator in front of the radiator, and more. You would probably have to change the radiator, assuming that what's in the car is original, as A/C-equipped cars often came standard with a heavy-duty version. I don't have the '70 dealer specs book, but in '71, if you bought A/C on a 442, you were required to also buy variable ratio power steering. You might even have to move the alternator to the other side of the engine. It might be easier, whenever it's a warm day, to just buy a bag of ice and arrange a battery operated fan to blow over it and onto you.

Seriously, what you're proposing is to put air-conditioning in a car that is a convertible, which was not that common a thing to do back in those days because people thought that, since they were buying a convertible, they didn't need A/C because they'd have the top down. Air-conditioning was very much more considered a high-end luxury item in those days, and even Olds 98s were sometimes ordered without it.

A/C is very much more common and expected today, and its rare to find even a low-end modern car that doesn't have it. This wasn't true in 1970.

I'm sure others will have better information about adding A/C to a car like this.

Last edited by jaunty75; October 16th, 2017 at 09:09 PM.
Old October 16th, 2017, 09:04 PM

I agree that adding factory AC to the car would be a HUGE undertaking. Aftermarket AC would be much simpler.

And I don't know about the rest of the country, but where I grew up (Gulf Coast) AC was very common even on these older cars. My 71 convertible has AC, as did my 70 Supreme before it. Putting the top down was not a cool thing (temperature wise, that is) due to the heat and high humidity, making AC almost mandatory, even on a convertible.
Old October 16th, 2017, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by jaunty75
According to my decoder, paint code 20 is azure blue. I don't know about special colors for 1970.

As far as getting photos off your phone and onto your computer, I know of two ways to do it. One is to simply email it to yourself from your phone and then open your email program (I use gmail) on your computer and save the attached image. But this is relatively slow if you have many photos to transfer or if the image files are large.

The other way is to attach a USB cable from your phone (plugs into the same port as the charger) to your computer. Most times, your computer will automatically recognize the phone as an external disk drive like a flash drive, and you can just access the directory on your phone where the photos are stored and copy them over to your computer. But with some phones, you may have to change how the phone is connected first, depending on the phone.

When I plug my phone (a Motorola running Android) in to my computer like this, it goes into charging mode, and I can't access any files on the phone from my computer. What I have to do is swipe down from the top, tap the "other connection options" or whatever it might be called, and select "share files" or whatever it might be called to tell the phone that I want to access its files. Then you can use Windows explorer to navigate to the directory on the phone where the photos are stored and copy them over to your PC.

As far as putting in A/C when the car had none originally, I'm no expert, but I would have to think that if you don't want to go aftermarket, you're going to have to find an A/C system from a parts car and move it over. But that's not going to be trivial as the vent system is different, the controls are different, you'll need to put an evaporator in front of the radiator, and more. You might even have to move the alternator to the other side of the engine. It might be easier, whenever it's a warm day, to just buy a bag of ice and arrange a battery operated fan to blow over it and onto you.

Seriously, what you're proposing is to put air-conditioning in a car that is a convertible, which was not that common a thing to do back in those days because people thought that, since they were buying a convertible, they didn't need A/C because they'd have the top down. Air-conditioning was very much more considered a high-end luxury item in those days, and even Olds 98s were sometimes ordered without it.

A/C is very much more common and expected today, and its rare to find even a low-end modern car that doesn't have it. This wasn't true in 1970.

I'm sure others will have better information about adding A/C to a car like this.
Jaunty,

Thank you again!! I have the trim tag and I will try what you instructed. How does it get from the phone or computer to our site?

Regarding air conditioning, I completely agree by experience.
I bought a new 1970 442 W-30 convertible, automatic, twilightblue, white convertible top and interior. Although I paid for the car, my father went with me when I ordered the car and pleaded with me to get air conditioning. I refused (wanted to race). My father even offered to pay for the air conditioning, I think the cost was $475.00, but of course I had all the answers, and knew more!! Dad you can put the top down or turn on the vents when it rains. My father gave up. To this day I regret not getting ac I was so hot, especially in humid weather. I sold the car in 1974 for about $4500.00. And, I threw out the broadcast card, because I didn't know what it was, and it didn't have prices. But I did sell tbe protect-o-plate to the buyer for an additional $5.00!!!

I have to have Ac because of my health, and I won't make the same mistake twice..lol
Old October 16th, 2017, 09:52 PM

By the way, I would like to find a '70 442 convertible equipped with factory air conditioningconditioning. I have been looking, but haven't been able to find one. I am currently running in the "Cars Wanted" section of our site that I'm looking to buy a "1970 or 1972442 convertible" with air conditioning. Not one response. Anyone have or know one that is available, please reach out to me. Thanks, Harry
Old October 17th, 2017, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
I have the trim tag and I will try what you instructed. How does it get from the phone or computer to our site?
This is the easy part.

Put the cursor in your posting where you want the photo to appear, click on the little icon that looks like a mountain range ( ), click on the "Browse Your Device" box toward the bottom, and then navigate to the directory that contains the photo. Click on it, then click on "OPEN" in the lower right of the dialog box, and the click on "INSERT" in the upper right of the big dialog box. It should appear in your posting, and you can preview the post by clicking on "Preview Post" on the Reply to Thread screen.

One other big warning: make sure your photos are not too large. People often upload an image without taking this into account, and the photos are so large that they take over the screen, cause you to have to scroll left and right to see the whole image, and this is just generally annoying.

I use a program called "Image Resizer" that is very fast and simple to use. It's free, install it, and then right-click on any image. In the menu that pops up, click on "Resize Image," and you'll be presented with three pre-defined options to resize the image to, or you can input your own custom size, and you can choose whether to resize the original image or have the program make a resized copy. You can also select as many photos at one time as you want and resize them all at the same time.

I work with photos all the time, not just for this site, and I use this piece of software more often than anything else. It is invaluable.

http://www.bricelam.net/ImageResizer/
Old October 17th, 2017, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by twilightblue28A
By the way, I would like to find a '70 442 convertible equipped with factory air conditioningconditioning. I have been looking, but haven't been able to find one.
There's another thing about all of this that occurs to me. People bought 442s because they wanted performance. They have a convertible, which means they'll put the top down often when the weather is right, and they often didn't buy A/C as a result. A/C just adds weight to the car, which degrades performance.

Isn't this why Olds required power steering if you bought A/C in 1971 as I mentioned above? The added weight of A/C made the car more difficult to steer if it had only manual steering? I don't know this, but I can't think of another reason why Olds would have required this mandatory option.