General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

HEI dist problems.

Search this Thread

Old May 24th, 2012, 05:26 PM
11.52 @116

HEI dist problems.

Had my coil go out the other day. Would not fire, no spark. Cranked over with 14 volts.
Coil was a 10 year old Pertronix Flamethrower with 1 red and 1 white wire.
Tried an extra coil with red and yellow wires, it fired but was so rich is smoked out the garage and neighborhood.
Ordered a new coil and installed it today to the same result, rich and smokey.
Replaced primary powervalve on Holley in case it gave out and had the same rich and smokey results.
Dist has an MSD ignition module that probably 10 years old. Could this be the cause?
Also tried a stock ignition module toady and has same results that I had at first. No spark no starting.
Not sure if I should replace MSD module or what? Car ran great day before the non starting first occured.
Thanks in advance for any info or advice submitted.
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:44 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

So, HEI distributor, MSD module, Pertronix coil.

Either no spark, or weak spark, depending on the combination, and you've tried three different coils (one new), and two different modules (including the originals).

The pickup seems unlikely from your description, but it IS the only part you haven't changed. I would expect a bad pickup to be NO spark instead of WEAK spark, but right now, I can't think of anything else.

Are you sure the second module was good?
My advice would be to bring both modules to the auto parts store and test them.

- Eric
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:49 PM

Have you checked to make sure the ground strap inside the HEI was grounded properly and not touching anything it's not supposed to? Spruce 'er up with some di-electric grease and see if it will run.
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:53 PM
11.52 @116

Originally Posted by MDchanic
So, HEI distributor, MSD module, Pertronix coil.

Either no spark, or weak spark, depending on the combination, and you've tried three different coils (one new), and two different modules (including the originals).

The pickup seems unlikely from your description, but it IS the only part you haven't changed. I would expect a bad pickup to be NO spark instead of WEAK spark, but right now, I can't think of anything else.

Are you sure the second module was good?
My advice would be to bring both modules to the auto parts store and test them.

- Eric
Thanks. I was thinking the pickup to.
The stock module is in a brand new 8 year old distributor so I have basically a brand new pickup too if needed.
I didnt know auto parts stores can test ignition modules. Not sure how all this stuff works in unison. Does the module power the coil or vise versa? Or is it coil-modules -pickup to rotor to cap to wires? Timing in general has always benn a bit of a mystery to me but I love learning.
Old May 24th, 2012, 06:55 PM
11.52 @116

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Have you checked to make sure the ground strap inside the HEI was grounded properly and not touching anything it's not supposed to? Spruce 'er up with some di-electric grease and see if it will run.
I will double check that tonight, thanks.
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by jims2000lt
I will double check that tonight, thanks.
I bought a new module coil last year too, turns out the ground strap was missing.

As a test, i threw the old module in, oddly enough it worked fine... So i could have saved myself a couple bucks had i of checked in the first place....
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:10 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Tony72Cutlass'S'
Spruce 'er up with some di-electric grease and see if it will run.
Just to clarify:
  • Dielectric grease (clear and slippery) to the spark plug boots.
  • Heat sink paste (white and pasty) to the bottom of the module.

The stock module is in a brand new 8 year old distributor so I have basically a brand new pickup too if needed.
I've had one bad out of the box at the auto parts store while buying it (good thing I had him test it before I forked over the somolians ).

I didnt know auto parts stores can test ignition modules.
The big chain ones usually can. They've got a cabinet thingie with attachments for starters and alternators, but it's got a thousand wires and plugs in it, and one of them tests HEI modules. Maybe pickups, too.

Not sure how all this stuff works in unison. Does the module power the coil or vise versa? Or is it coil-modules -pickup to rotor to cap to wires?
The pickup triggers when the reluctor passes it (8 times per distributor revolution / 4 times per engine revolution), it passes a weak current to the module, which amplifies it and sends a big jolt of current to the coil, which turns it into a high voltage (and low current), and sends tens of thousands of volts to the spark plug.

Timing in general has always benn a bit of a mystery to me...
... Which can be a handicap with the ladies...

- Eric
Old May 24th, 2012, 07:30 PM
11.52 @116

Originally Posted by MDchanic
Just to clarify:
  • Dielectric grease (clear and slippery) to the spark plug boots.
  • Heat sink paste (white and pasty) to the bottom of the module.

I've had one bad out of the box at the auto parts store while buying it (good thing I had him test it before I forked over the somolians ).

The big chain ones usually can. They've got a cabinet thingie with attachments for starters and alternators, but it's got a thousand wires and plugs in it, and one of them tests HEI modules. Maybe pickups, too.

The pickup triggers when the reluctor passes it (8 times per distributor revolution / 4 times per engine revolution), it passes a weak current to the module, which amplifies it and sends a big jolt of current to the coil, which turns it into a high voltage (and low current), and sends tens of thousands of volts to the spark plug.

... Which can be a handicap with the ladies...

- Eric
Probably see if they can test the module tomorrow. The ladies comment is damn funny. Thanks man.