General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Has anyone had this issue?

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2012, 08:27 AM

Has anyone had this issue?

I recently bought a set of Oldsmobile tall aluminum valve cover (with Oldsmobile Script) for my 71 Cutlass Supreme, off summit racing. I have a Olds 455 with stock mounted a/c compressor, alternator, and power steering pump. I have tried to mount the valve covers every way I could think of with the stock brackets but no luck. There is not enough clearance for the valve covers to mount behind the alternator and a/c compressor without hitting them. So I turned to “google” and I read on the mondello website that the brackets have to be changed to mount these valve covers. The brackets on their website are ridiculously over priced in my opinion.
My question is this, has anyone installed these valve covers on their 455, if so did you use your stock brackets or something else? Is there another set of big block or small block brackets that will work for this project? I really don’t want to send the money for the mondello brackets if I don’t have too. That is a lot of money that I could use for something else expensive on my car. If anyone has a solution to this issue you will be helping me a ton.
Fred
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:00 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Unfortunately, They're more trouble than they're worth on a stock setup.
Those covers help gain clearance for roller rockers on race motors. You could try running only the front half of a 69 big block alternator bracket. The alternator might just barely squeak by then. I have no solution for the AC though.
Old December 31st, 2012, 09:05 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Freddy B
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]I recently bought a set of Oldsmobile tall aluminum valve cover (with Oldsmobile Script) for my 71 Cutlass Supreme, off summit racing.
These covers are not designed to be used with stock accessory brackets. They are too tall.
Old December 31st, 2012, 11:27 AM

Thanks J, that is something I will look into. Guess I will start looking on ebay for a 69 bracket. Yeah Joe I figured that out after I tried to put them on. I have seen them on 455 motors with stock alternator and etc. but they were using different brackets. Just after figure out which ones work.