General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Hagerty rent my car ? ? anyone else heard of this

Search this Thread

Old June 25th, 2019, 02:07 PM
MOTORHEAD

Hagerty rent my car ? ? anyone else heard of this

Your car’s film or TV debut could be right around the corner.

DriveShare™ is a car-sharing platform where listers can rent out their fun cars for all kinds of occasions: date nights, beach days, weddings and even film productions. Film studios are looking to rent special cars for their productions all the time — putting a little extra cash in your pocket for this car, another car or another another car.

So, what are you waiting for? List your car on DriveShare today and give it the star treatment it deserves.

LIST YOUR CAR

Want to know more? Review our FAQs or learn how to rent out your ride.

DriveShare is currently not available for vehicles registered in the state of NY. For FAQ, user policies, and terms and conditions, visit driveshare.com. DRIVESHARE BY HAGERTY & DriveShare are registered or common law trademarks of The Hagerty Group, LLC. © 2019 the Hagerty Group, LLC. All rights reserved.

Old June 25th, 2019, 04:06 PM
Old(s) Fart

And why would you want to do this? When I lived in the L.A. area, I knew people who rented their cars for movie and TV filming. The hassle and risk of damage was not worth the meager pay.
Old June 25th, 2019, 04:31 PM
MOTORHEAD

I thought it was some kinda scam?
This is real??

none for me thanks
Old June 25th, 2019, 07:31 PM

F that noise.
Old June 25th, 2019, 07:37 PM

DriveShare™ is a car-sharing platform where listers can rent out their fun cars for all kinds of occasions: date nights, beach days, weddings and even film productions.

Yeah, what could possibly go wrong when you let a complete stranger use your classic car for date night or a jaunt to the beach? Some people must be complete morons.
Old June 25th, 2019, 08:44 PM

With regards to the movie business, I worked in it for 25 years. Let me tell you, they will try to meet the terms and conditions of your agreement, but in the end they will do whatever they need to to get the shot. If your car gets pranged, or outright destroyed, they will simply pay you off afterwards.

In the case of just renting your car to strangers for "date nights, beach days and weddings", well, what I did for the movie business was rent them things, so I know the rental business. There is a common saying, I think you all know- "F*ck it, It's a rental." You will see heavy wear, damage and annoying disrespect. Every piece of equipment I ever rented was a number on a balance sheet with zero emotional attachment. It has to be that way. Some of it was lost, some was totaled and minor damage happened all the time.

If you choose to rent your collector car out, only do so if you really don't care if you ever see it again. This is a bit dramatic as the odds are you will see it again, but you may not be pleased. Just my observation. My personal opinion is- I would NEVER rent anything I care about to anybody, or loan it for that matter. However, I will rent things all day long if I don't care about it and there is money in it! Been there, did that and for enough money, I'd do it again.
Old June 25th, 2019, 10:17 PM
Rocket Renegade!

"Don't be gentle, it's a rental!"
Old June 26th, 2019, 05:14 AM

I thought we had discussed this before? Specifically, the Turo rental service. Maybe I saw that thread on the Ford Trucks Forum... anyways.

https://turo.com/en-us

Here is the only thread that's similar that I could find on our site:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...e-true-109311/

FWIW, I wouldn't rent my car to someone for a date/beach day or a movie studio. My understanding is that there are businesses that rent classic cars for movie studios.
Old June 26th, 2019, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
My understanding is that there are businesses that rent classic cars for movie studios.
Yes, there absolutely are picture car rental businesses. However they aren't always enough for a big exterior street scene. It is these companies that will reach out and sub rent from individuals. Because of the expenses and headaches of owning and maintaining cars, these picture car companies would rather rent your car than own one like it, but the reality is, they have to do both.
Old June 26th, 2019, 10:07 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Here ya go, stranger, here is the keys to my pride and joy. But make sure park it far from other cars in a well lit and traveled parking lot, not a back alleyway, no tailgating so stones don't chip at my $700 show chromed bumper. No driving in the rain. Don't let it sit out in the sun and bake. No food or beverages allowed. Non-Ethanol high octane gas only. No burnouts. No drag racing....what could go wrong!?!?!

Then there is the insurance companies take on the whole situation once it's totaled and proven to not be out for a car show or cruise night. Who gets screwed...YOU DO. Dah!

Now what could take off as a business in the correct climate conditions is a chauffeured ride in my car for special occasions. Prom, Wedding, 50th anniversaries etc...I'm in control I drive you.

I looked long and hard for a 57 Bel Air vert to pick my parents up with to bring them to their formal 50th party/dinner. That's what dad had when they were married in 63. Nice Red White Chevy vert w/continental kit and all. I would definitely have paid-up for that type of service. No takers to be found on the Tri-Five site.

You really gotta think your car is nothing more than an appliance, think clothes washer, to let a complete stranger take your keys! Sucker born every second....gah!
Old June 26th, 2019, 01:40 PM
Olds Fanatic

Nothing more to say...

https://www.automobilemag.com/news/h..._set_fire%3Aam
Old June 26th, 2019, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by '69442ragtop
"Don't be gentle, it's a rental!"
This is so true that it has become a truism in many other areas of life. When a man is contemplating marrying a woman who has been around, his friends will ask him "Do you buy a rental car?" in a move to dissuade him.
Old June 26th, 2019, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by 69 Hurst
Wow. Now that is a tragic horror show! That's sickening. Really heart breaking. Something is really wrong with this picture.
Old June 29th, 2019, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by 69 Hurst

This is what exactly what came to mind when i saw this post!

Fire on the Set: When Dozens of Your Movie Cars Go Up in Flames
Old June 29th, 2019, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by 4Speedy

This is what exactly what came to mind when i saw this post!

Fire on the Set: When Dozens of Your Movie Cars Go Up in Flames
In all fairness, when was the last time you ever heard of an entire movie set, with, or without cars burned to the ground?? It may be tempting to blame the movie company for this tragedy, I personally am skeptical. Having worked in the industry, I can say there is a lot of attention paid towards safety and if I read the article right, this happened when they were dark and no shooting so... I really have questions about this HUGE fast moving fire that destroyed everything. My ignorant, internet no nothing self, has the opinion that perhaps arson should be seriously looked at.

Perhaps others here are following this story and are better informed...