General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Grille Question?

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2010, 08:00 PM

Grille Question?

There is a grille for the 1970-1972 Cutlass similar to this one without all the lines in the middle. I believe it has a black mesh backing. Does anyone know where I can find that grille? I hope I'm describing it correctly, I saw it on a Cutlass in a parking lot about a year ago and that's the grille I'd like and now it's time for it and I'm searching everywhere for it...I'm also looking for new chrome louvers for the 1970-1972 hood...

http://www.amcarguide.com/wp-content...ss-supreme.jpg

Last edited by BigTrav; November 30th, 2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Update
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:01 PM

Find a good used grille (whatever year/style that is) and make one yourself. Your mesh choice will only be limited to what you can find...make it look like the inside of a BBQ grille if you like (expanded mesh)!!! or find some cool "pattern" that will look good when viewed up close.

That may just be a blacked out grille...with all the factory crossbars, etc intact.

A little imagination and some materials (mesh, etc and some sort of framework that holds the mesh and attaches to the plastic grille and the possibilities are pretty much unlimited.

Also...you might be able to get a good deal on a grille that has some of the crossbars, etc broken off...just find one that has a good perimeter/outer structure since that's your stiffness and main mounting points.

Maybe go to a metal supply or decorative metal place for ideas. I guess you don't have to go too crazy on the mesh since the idea is to have it all blacked out and not that noticeable.

Other ideas would be something like the chromed wire mesh that I think appeared on Toronados around '69 or '70...maybe that's available bare and unpainted. It's a cool and unique looking mesh and perfect for grilles. I want to say there was some other American cars that used this same mesh but can't remember.

A search on your browser under "hot rod grille mesh" yields massive possibilities...try local first...I've seen some of this stuff at a local metal supply place.

The custom stuff is some of the most enjoyable stuff to do as you are only limited by your imagination and ability.
Old November 30th, 2010, 09:14 PM

all I can say is that is BADD A$$

Old November 30th, 2010, 09:19 PM

if you look at the rest of the pics,those are standard 72 grills painted all black..
Old November 30th, 2010, 11:10 PM

Mirrors look pretty cool also. They work well on the car...sort of a "modern" version of the unique '70 sport mirror. Monte Carlo SS I think.