General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Got a rebuilt Q-jet today

Search this Thread

Old December 11th, 2014, 12:15 PM
Rocket "Scientist"

Got a rebuilt Q-jet today

Just thought I'd share that I bought a rebuilt Q-jet locally for $100, guy had it built for his '75 vette, only to find out that the engine had been built mild and it wasn't enough carburetor for it.

Anyway, the new q-jet is a 7045228, or a R4-M4MC, it's going on my '77 Delta 88, the Q-jet on that car has been hacking and coughing for the whole year I've had the car. Every time I think I've got it sorted it just gets worse.

So this Saturday I'll be installing the new Q-jet and hopefully my car will be running good again. I'm not even shooting for it to run great, if it doesn't idle like a Harley I'll be happy. I'll be even happier of I can get the thermal choke working, then I'll take the mechanical conversion off the old Q-jet and see if it fits the Holley on the Blue Goat. Here's hoping it goes well, though I've gotta degrease the engine tomorrow, I can see Chevy Turquoise / Cyan paint hiding under that grease on the manifold, I wonder if that's what color the stock motor was?

Pic of the new carb:

Old December 11th, 2014, 12:30 PM

guy had it built for his '75 vette .... but didn't know enough about the engine to get it built right?

I gotta tell you, that doesn't sound promising to me. Sounds like someone threw a kit into it and called it done. Hope you got a good one.
Old December 11th, 2014, 01:22 PM

Theres not a 75 Vette street engine alive that wont run on a good QuadraJet carb -- !!
MOO
Old December 11th, 2014, 01:39 PM

thats fine,if you have a chevy motor in your olds. if not there are some things that need changing,number 1 will be the fuel line.
Old December 11th, 2014, 02:53 PM

Better double check those base plate screws.
Old December 11th, 2014, 03:46 PM
Randy C.

...and the accelerator linkage.

Randy C.
Old December 11th, 2014, 07:56 PM

Might be better to sell it to a corvette owner and use the funds for a BOP QJet.
Old December 11th, 2014, 08:53 PM

I have so many 7043251's [73 BB] I would gladly sell one for $100

Fit like it belongs there
minimal hassle

IF that is your engine's actual problem
Have you gone over the ignition system?
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:20 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

First off, as I've said previously in other threads, my car originally had a Chevy 350, VIN L 4bbl, it currently has a GM Goodwrench 350 crate put in back in 1993 at about 88k miles, car currently has 228,450 or so miles. So a BOP carb is not ideal, seeing as my car does not (Nor ever had) a Rocket V8, which, is a shame, it just SOUNDS cool to say you have a Rocket V8. I know I need plugs and wires, gonna replace the whole distributor sometime this winter. The HEI coil seems original (Delco Remy) but the cap and rotor where replaced not long before I got the car (One year and about 4,500 miles ago). But the wires, cap, and rotor are cheap NAPA parts, plugs are god awful cheap Champion plugs I wouldn't put in a lawn mower. The advance also seems to act up sometimes, so best bet is just another distributor. Summit racing has a house brand distributor for $90, thought I'd give that a shot. Gonna throw in some AC Delco Rapidfire plugs and some AC Delco OE 8mm wires, also linked below:

Summit distributor:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...make/chevrolet

Plugs and wires:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...=341&partnum=2

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/rafr...6&partnum=608U

As for my carb? It's original, it was not touched when the GM Goodwrench 350 was put in back in 1993, it has every bit of the cars 228,000 miles on it, whereas the engine only has about 150,000. It's coming to pieces, and this 'vette carb is an identical drop in. My accelerator pump is bad, my seals are bad, my carb is leaking gasoline in multiple places, and there is play in the linkage that doesn't exist on the rebuilt carb.

The man had not owned the 'Vette long, nor did he build it or get much info with it, I probably know more about the history of my Oldsmobile than he does about that 'Vette. He could've had the carb reconfigured for the engine, but at that point the Holley was cheaper.

Most of the local rebuilders around here are really good, for instance if you look, the flat head screws that hold it together have been replaced with star bit screws. I looked the carb over completely, it was a 100% rebuild, you can see inside and out it was done right. All of the gaskets are new, the carb is clean inside and out, I'll get better pics today.

All in all, however, I'm kind of glad my car came factory with a Chevy motor, it makes aftermarket easier, and it's not like it's rare two door, it's just an old moredoor I'm going to fix up 'cause, it's relatively light and I want to make it handle good. B body's have a pretty sweet chassis, I'm use too it, so I get dumbfounded when I see cars like Ford's of the era which mostly had leaf springs.

EDIT:

Got more pics of the new Q-jet, and a few of how clean my engine bay is:

Also, a pic of the old and slightly cleaner original Q-jet:

Last edited by Dead Reckon; December 12th, 2014 at 11:03 AM.
Old December 12th, 2014, 04:21 PM
Hookers under Hood

I think you got a great deal on that carb, it defiantly looks nice and clean. I hope it works well once you install it along with the tuning parts you mentioned.
Cheers
Eric
Old December 14th, 2014, 01:25 AM
Rocket "Scientist"

Yeah, hope so, I'm gonna get the carb installed today, probably change the air filter, the old one smells pretty strongly of gas where the carb has been spitting it out. Was going to do it Saturday, but the friend of mine who was gonna let me use his shop was out of town, so today it is.